Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are you playing right now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> What are you playing right now? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 1:42:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we get to see how many people are still playing TOAW. The idea is to post something
about the game you are currently playing. I predict that there are still people out there playing TOAW and a lot of them are lurking
on this forum and haven't posted anything yet. Feel free to tell us what you're playing.

As for me, I'm playtesting my version of the Pacific At War that was originally produced April 10, 2002 by Thomas Harvey. I understand
that Thomas is working on an updated version and I would like to say thanks to Thomas on his willingness to update this great game.
I've found a few things that needed adding for the ver. 3.6 TOAW and I'm seeing how it's working so far. The image below is the Allied
turn 2 and Manila is about to fall and I'm marching south to Singapore and I'm grabbing bases in the Celebes. Guadacanall is in Jap
hands and the Japs are moving south down the island chain from Rabaul. It's still in the early game phase so each side still has a
substantial sized fleet to threaten with and there have been no naval battles of note yet. There was no Pearl Strike in the game because
I didn't feel like exposing my Jap carriers with getting there and not being able to zip out of there again before the Allied might starts to
wake up. It's fairly exciting playing the Jap side. I'm actually playing both sides only because I don't have an opponent to test it out
with as I'm using the 3.6 version of TOAW for this playtest. Necessarily.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Red Zone Action - 11/28/2014 6:00:26 AM   
Templer_12

I play varied. Many games out there are fun.
But I regularly return to TOAW III .
For me, TOAW III is simply the best strategy game ever developed - period!

Continuously, as a football fan, I play a great and free football manager simulation named Red Zone Action.
You can find it here: -> Red Zone Action

< Message edited by Templer -- 11/28/2014 1:59:35 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Red Zone Action - 11/28/2014 11:12:53 AM   
shunwick

Currently playing Red Storm Rising by Alain James versus the NATO PO and World War II Another Way by Ben Turner hotseat.

I have a couple of pbfds on the go but they are on hold at the moment because my mate is hospital.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 3
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 1:48:32 PM   
Falcon1

Right now most of my gaming time is spent on:

Steel Panthers World at War
Master of Orion 2
Neverwinter Nights

TOAW3 still is in the mix, but I would play it a lot more if I could find a monitor resolution that works well for me. I run my PC with a 24in monitor at 1366x768. If I move up to 1600x900 then text is too small for me to see clearly. At 1366x768, using huge icons it is too big because barely any of the map fits on the screen at once. Using the large icons is just a little too small. This is the setting I usually use but after not too long I get a headache from squinting to see the details of the counters.

Post #: 4
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 2:55:41 PM   
tcarusil

Playing TOAW mostly. Wouldn't it make a nice Christmas present from Matrix to get TOAW 3.XX out, or at least some encouraging news.

With the sale starting might look for something else. Looking at Forge of Freedom, Command Ops or Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

Or, I could take up Combat Command which has been sitting on my hard drive.

Any recommendations?

TomC

Post #: 5
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 4:55:21 PM   
berto

As a break from the Campaign Series, I am returning to play Boonierat's superb Vietnam Combat Operations.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 6
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 9:01:29 PM   
SMK-at-work

3 games of TOAW (TR, EA, FITE), and 2 of Guns of August

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/28/2014 11:43:46 PM   
CapitanPiluso

HPS Market Garden,AGEOD`s Revolution under Siege and always TOAW.
Recently bought Hannibal Carthage and Rome, a different - and nice -approach to an ancient turn based game.

One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 8
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/29/2014 2:02:15 AM   
congooo

i am playing operationchangping and i am china defending holy cow defending that is hardcore that.hopw it turns out well or better.you can adjust the text size in the ini.file opart.fonts.woow defenending cant believe it .turn 9 i,ve only just started attacking.this is a crucial moment in time .i must make it count.the attack must be well planned out and will take me a week to work out on paper first.
it funny but you have to do it.
however reading in to what i said not really.i hope this helps your efforts going forwarrd and gives you much love and well being.
sgt.rackneed

(in reply to CapitanPiluso)
Post #: 9
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/29/2014 2:42:51 PM   
JMass

I am playing pbem Eastern Front 1941-1945 as Axis.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to congooo)
Post #: 10
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/29/2014 4:10:50 PM   
Numdydar

Sorry to be negative, but I'm playing any game but this one until the patch or new version is released

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 11
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/29/2014 4:11:40 PM   
fran52

I'm playng Bulge HPS (by mail) and Heroes of Stalingrad.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 12
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/30/2014 7:30:19 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Playing TOAW mostly. Wouldn't it make a nice Christmas present from Matrix to get TOAW 3.XX out, or at least some encouraging news.

With the sale starting might look for something else. Looking at Forge of Freedom, Command Ops or Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

Or, I could take up Combat Command which has been sitting on my hard drive.

Any recommendations?

TomC

Tom!

LTNS mate! Well, I am working on yet another update for Kharkov '43 which should be ready for play-testing by x-mas.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 13
RE: What are you playing right now? - 11/30/2014 7:34:51 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Sorry to be negative, but I'm playing any game but this one until the patch or new version is released

With the 3XBb.exe and some updates/adjustments I can highly recommend to play Ardennes '44 by Rob 'The Doc' Kunz. The latest Version was updated especially for 3XBb.exe and it's great!

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 14
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/1/2014 6:28:30 PM   
rustinpeace91

Playing Korea 1950-51 right now.

It didn't turn out very well at all. My basic plan was to take Pyongyang and hold on to dear life for that city, securing a notable victory. What ended up happening was a clusterf*** and a stalemate. Due to Korea's mountiounus terrain, forming a concrete line and sussing out the stragglers was more difficult than I anticipated. My belated Inchon landing (september 17th I think) only created more confusion. I think the North Koreans used the railroads to resupply and reinforce the units that I thought were "cut off" I did push most of the North Koreans out of South Korea, most of the units you see on this map were encircled and destroyed by the time the game was over, but my offensive into North Korea never manifested. I'm definitely going to play this scenario again and try to do a better job.

< Message edited by rustinpeace91 -- 12/1/2014 7:29:07 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 15
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/2/2014 12:34:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustinpeace91

It didn't turn out very well at all.... I'm definitely going to play this scenario again and try to do a better job.

Good for you. That's the spirit. Experience comes through practice and it's only the scenario's that challenge
us that cause us to stretch our abilities. I'd like to hear more about what happens next. How about doing an
AAR for us? How about doing an AAR for me? I may see something that might help your gameplay. My advice
really kinda Depends on how much detail you provide though.

(in reply to rustinpeace91)
Post #: 16
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/3/2014 2:44:55 AM   
r6kunz

Greetings all,
Great idea for a thread, Larry!

Herr Oberst, thank you for the kind comments re:Ardennes. In fact, I am working on another iteration, which will give 2.Pz Div a better chance of swinging around Bastogne to the north and crossing the Ourthe R. at Ortheuville by the historic date of 21 Dec, then making a run to the west. I hope to post by 16 Dec.

At present, I am play testing my version of 1914, Guns of August. Division scale, 10 km, weekly turns. I had hoped to have it out by, well, August, but I hope to post it in the near future...Stay tuned.

It is good seeing the comments that have been posted in response to Larry's post.

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

Post #: 17
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/5/2014 10:09:50 AM   
nilgirip

The only other games I have spent any serious time with are Civ 4, Close Combat, Il2 Sturmovik and Europa Universalis II - and I mean since I got TOAW in '99. For my money, there's nothing that even comes close. Travelling, school and life in general have given me the (dubious) luxury of breaks from TOAW that are just long enough that I can forget just enough to keep play against the AI interesting. Right now I am playing D21; when the blizzard hits I give the AI +1; +2 during the winter offensive and they are handing my ass right back to me at the gates of Moscow. Ah the drama....

< Message edited by nilgirip -- 12/5/2014 11:10:19 AM >

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 18
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/6/2014 8:50:43 AM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

All right - here's the list" AGEOD - AJE,BOR,HTOR,BOA II WiA, ACW II, RUS & SCW. Dropped PON as I was unable to handle it, too burdensome, and have never gotten to start with TEAW - waiting until the game gets mature enough, like the moment the 1st patch gets released. Then DC I: BfWtP and DC II: CB. On top of that HPS / JTS PC / MC (operational) along with SB ( tactical ), but I am actively reducing the number of the latter, focusing on most promising, ambitious and interesting aspects. Been dropping SC: WWI and Breakthrough as it's too stale in the longer run to my taste and I guess that SC: tPT is next to be abandoned. Lastly, TOAW III of course, all in the PBEM mode exclusively and CO:BFtB is still on the list, but since it's real time it's hard to arrange a HTH session, even in the same time zone. You've had enough already? The one who can identify fully all of the titles above, wins a forfeit victory against me.

< Message edited by burroughs -- 12/6/2014 9:51:48 AM >

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to nilgirip)
Post #: 19
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/6/2014 5:13:13 PM   
tcarusil

Yeah. I've been distracted by this, that and the other. Sure wish there would be some movement on TOAW patch or upgrade. Very frustrating.

How goes your work on Kharkov? With TOAW being in limbo I bet it is hard to get motivated to invest the time.

Trying to find something else to distract me. Maybe Civil War era or some other WWII system, somewhere between pure tactical and operational. I tried Conflict of Heroes, but couldn't quite get the hang of it.

Tried Tiller's Civil War game, but the graphics were so bad it made it hard to figure out what I was doing.

Any way, I hope the upcoming holidays are good for you and your family

TomC

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 20
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/7/2014 8:35:40 AM   
rustinpeace91

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustinpeace91

It didn't turn out very well at all.... I'm definitely going to play this scenario again and try to do a better job.

Good for you. That's the spirit. Experience comes through practice and it's only the scenario's that challenge
us that cause us to stretch our abilities. I'd like to hear more about what happens next. How about doing an
AAR for us? How about doing an AAR for me? I may see something that might help your gameplay. My advice
really kinda Depends on how much detail you provide though.

I tried doing another landing near pyongyang, right after that happened the Chinese intervened and I was screwed. I'll do another run of this scenario soon and do a detailed AAR of it.

Post #: 21
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/7/2014 10:34:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I'll do another run of this scenario soon and do a detailed AAR of it.

I'll watch for it. You know, something else that occurs to me. You could read a lot of the AARs of others
to maybe pick up tricks and avoid the traps others find. Just a thought. You might also advertize for an
opponent because PBEM games teach more than Elmer games do. Try to put some verbage in your
ad for someone that is willing to do some hand holding and by that I mean someone willing to answer a
lot of questions. Take you under their wing kind of thing.

(in reply to rustinpeace91)
Post #: 22
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/7/2014 2:03:46 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: burroughs

The one who can identify fully all of the titles above, wins a forfeit victory against me.

Is there a booby prize if you can't figure out any of them?

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 23
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/7/2014 2:05:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I haven't been playing. Rather, I've been designing. Guess the topic of this scenario (if you need a hint for some reason, note the date of this post):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 24
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/7/2014 3:09:51 PM   
Telumar

Looks like Honululu / Pearl Harbor?

Post #: 25
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/8/2014 12:59:42 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

quote:

Nope, but I may set up a booby trap in the boonies if you wish. That's for the humiliating defeat of my Commonwealth forces in your full North Africa scenario. Does that sound fair? Or am I to spring a regular ambush?

< Message edited by burroughs -- 12/8/2014 2:00:48 PM >

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Post #: 26
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/8/2014 1:41:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Looks like Honululu / Pearl Harbor?

Of course. It's intended to allow players to easily get some practice with carrier vs. surface naval combat (like my Jutland and Denmark Strait scenarios allow them to practice surface vs. surface naval) per the new naval features. Got more involved than I expected, though.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 27
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/8/2014 1:48:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: burroughs

quote:

Nope, but I may set up a booby trap in the boonies if you wish. That's for the humiliating defeat of my Commonwealth forces in your full North Africa scenario. Does that sound fair? Or am I to spring a regular ambush?

Any defeats suffered in CFNA are on the defeated player, IMHO. Don't go blaming your humble designer.

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 28
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/8/2014 2:04:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

I appreciate everybody who posted something. I count about 20 posters.

Now I'm playtesting TGW. Steve Sill and I are working on this scenario about the German / Russian war
but instead of going more complicated and making a FITE2 I was thinking about maybe simpler and easier to
produce something like Barbarosa '41 but longer. I say Steve and I but it's mostly Steve right now. He's
produced the map and the OOB and the events and so on and now I'm pushing the units around to see what
it plays like. So far so good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: What are you playing right now? - 12/8/2014 4:12:54 PM   
jeffnorton

Unity of Command and WoT\WT.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> What are you playing right now? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI