Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Really wondering...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Really wondering... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Really wondering... - 11/8/2013 9:20:54 PM   
KenchiSulla

Was watching this scene from the movie Das Boot on youtube and was wondering: what happened in movie land? They do not make movies like this anymore...

Das Boot

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/8/2013 10:42:47 PM   
wdolson

I don't know about that. What specifically did that movie have that no movie has had since?

I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was good (Flags of Our Fathers not so much).

There was also a Czech movie called Deep Blue World about some Czech pilots in the RAF: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244479/ It did have a love angle, but it was well done, IMO.

I can't think of any recent submarine movies that are very good if you are specifically talking about that.

I haven't seen the CGI heavy Japanese movies some people have posted trailers for, but they look to be well done. Now Hollywood doesn't have the best track record for WW II movies. A certain movie with Ben Afleck is commented on here with derision quite frequently. There are some others that are less than stellar in the accuracy department. However, Hollywood has produced some good stuff too. I saw Band of Brothers and thought it was very well done and accurate. I haven't seen The Pacific yet, though it's been sitting here for a while.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 12:54:56 AM   
Nami Koshino

The U-Boat movie U-571 has the same reputation among U-Boat aficionados, that "the movie that shall not be mentioned" has among Pacific War aficionados. In short, a bad one.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 1:40:20 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

The U-Boat movie U-571 has the same reputation among U-Boat aficionados, that "the movie that shall not be mentioned" has among Pacific War aficionados. In short, a bad one.

Wait - you mean there weren't German destroyers patrolling the western approaches??

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 1:57:35 AM   
wodin

Band of Brothers was superb..but it wasn't made in Hollywood. In Britain (possibly Ireland as it's cheap to film there) with lots of Brit actors.

Hollywood make overly sentimental War Films. The last two War films I enjoyed made in the States where When trumpets fade and Thin Red Line (many Wargamers hate it but I loved it..superb cinematography and great acting). The German film Downfall was excellent and though it is now dated Stalingrad was enjoyable esp compare to Enemy at the Gates which I thought was dire..some actors putting on a German or Russian accent others couldn't be bothered or couldn't do it. The Russians have made some recently aswell Brest Fortress was good apart from suffering the same problem all Russian war films I see suffer from..making the German inept and useless fighters and act like Himmlers best mates. Not sure what the recent Stalingrad film was like though.

Schindlers List is one of my favourite war related films..better I think than Saving Private Ryan which had one amazing part and that was the beach invasion part (filming technique copied from Kubricks Paths of Glory).

The recent WW1 plane movies have been dire. Hopefully Peter Jackson will get around to making one as he is a WW1 obsessive. I thought he would have done one to come out in 2014 but it's not to be.

Then another of my all time classic films is Cross of Iron. That probably takes No1 spot.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 2:14:06 AM   
wdolson

I consider Band of Brothers American because the producers, directors, and I believe the production company were all predominantly American. Letters From Iwo Jima is not considered a Japanese film because the bulk of the actors were Japanese and it was filmed on a Japanese island.

I thought the Thin Red Line was fairly good too.

The American track record for war films is hit and miss. I didn't see Red Tails because George Lucas was hyping it as a 50s style war movie and the clips I saw seemed to support that. IMO that was probably the most inaccurate period for American war movies. Too much patting ourselves on the back for winning the war and too little realism. The memoirs from that era are hit and miss too. Some are very good accounts from people who were in the middle of critical parts of the war, but other accounts are very self aggrandizing. Recently released memoirs have a very different tone. Virtually all are from people who had little impact on history, but they were first hand witnesses to one of the biggest things in history. They've had a lifetime since the war to put their experience into perspective.

Bill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 2:35:14 AM   
geofflambert

I think the point is that none of them had Tom Hanks in them. Boo and hiss.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 6:23:43 AM   
JocMeister

Nice to see "When trumpets fade" mentioned! Its one of my favorite movies of all time. Love that movie! "Der Untergang" (Downfall?) was also a top notch movie. Bruno Gantz was absolutely fantastic as Hitler.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 6:50:19 AM   
wdolson

YouTube is also full of humorous videos where someone took Hitler's meltdown scene from Downfall and put in new subtitles. Some of them are really funny.

Bill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 11:38:32 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

YouTube is also full of humorous videos where someone took Hitler's meltdown scene from Downfall and put in new subtitles. Some of them are really funny.

Bill

Yeah, some are really hilarious!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 12:52:35 PM   
CyrusSpitama

quote:

Bill

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzgi2DZWm2c

P.S. Contains some *foul* subtitles... heh

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 11/9/2013 1:53:49 PM >

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 1:34:49 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Was watching this scene from the movie Das Boot on youtube and was wondering: what happened in movie land? They do not make movies like this anymore...

Das Boot

"Das Boot" is good, but check out "Come and See" by Elem Klimov. Raw and harrowing, easily the best war film out there.

Post #: 12
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 4:54:39 PM   
crsutton

I watch "Platoon" just about every year. "Saving Private Ryan" and BOB as well. "Master and Commander" was brilliant in every aspect. Don't know what you mean really. I will say this. "Das Boot" was made before CGI and you got to appreciate great films that were done pre CGI. I am getting a little tired of CGI. Just watching that little snippet reminds me that I need to watch it again....soon. So, thanks for the reminder.

Oh, BTW, I just watched Mad Max 2-The Road Warrior. Have not seen it in 20 years. Found it by accident on the web. Holy Cow is that a great movie. Amazing stunts w/o CGI and a good story.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 10:30:28 PM   
gradenko2k

Hollywood movies are made for public consumption, and as for a lot of other things that target such wide demographics, there's not a lot of room for nuance and historical accuracy. The movie-going public is, shall we say, dumb enough that you'd have to re-explain that you're telling a story about WWII every time in the first 15-20 mins of the movie, plus another 10-15 mins to cover the particular backstory of the specific battle you're covering, and you're going to need an easily identifiable protagonist, an easily identifiable antagonist (granted this one is not so difficult to do!) and a plot that's either simple enough to be followed by people at a less-than-high-school level education AND attention-span, or you spend a lot of extra time spelling out exactly what happened if it gets more complicated than "soldiers drive to places, blow up stuff"

What I'm saying is you can't even make a movie about Market-Garden under such restrictions, even a total blow-out like Midway is going to have some accuracy issues, and there's less-than-zero chance of a U-Boat or sympathetic-Rommel movie.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 10:46:42 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

A boarding party from HMS Bulldog captured the first enigma machine from U-110. U-571 is fiction or how shall I put it, Hollywood crap. The move does indeed need to be put in the "the movie that shall not be mentioned" list.

One interesting fact that I read recently but cannot confirm is:-

One of the boarding party was a NAAFI rating (Navy, Army, and Air Force Institutes, a civilian) called William Louis Vassallo, a Maltese.

I recently watched another crap movie belonging in the list staring James Belushi, U.S. Army sergeant Joe Gunn who leads his tank into the Sahara after the fall of Tobruk. Wonder if the Commonwealth troops present at the fall realise the US Army was there.

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/9/2013 10:48:41 PM   
Chris21wen

Forgot this is reputedly a photo of the event.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 9:26:14 AM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

quote:

Das Boot

"Das Boot" is good, but check out "Come and See" by Elem Klimov. Raw and harrowing, easily the best war film out there.

That looks very interesting, thanks for the tip

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 9:32:30 AM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I watch "Platoon" just about every year. "Saving Private Ryan" and BOB as well. "Master and Commander" was brilliant in every aspect. Don't know what you mean really. I will say this. "Das Boot" was made before CGI and you got to appreciate great films that were done pre CGI. I am getting a little tired of CGI. Just watching that little snippet reminds me that I need to watch it again....soon. So, thanks for the reminder.

Oh, BTW, I just watched Mad Max 2-The Road Warrior. Have not seen it in 20 years. Found it by accident on the web. Holy Cow is that a great movie. Amazing stunts w/o CGI and a good story.

Saving private Ryan, band of brothers are good but they just don't match what I've got out of Das Boot for some reason. First the boredom of patrol, then the suspense of attack and the horror of nearly sinking... It gives insight into a world that we (or most of us) do not have to experience..

Imaging what it was like to be in that U-boat gave me the creeps...

AKA Cannonfodder

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 9:36:24 AM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was good

Bill

A good movie, sure.. I liked the way it put the Japanese soldiers role and zeal into perspective.

AKA Cannonfodder

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 9:37:41 AM   
KenchiSulla

Schindler's list is the best film I know of with topic "holocaust". It is however not a "combat" movie so I didn't take it into consideration..

AKA Cannonfodder

Post #: 20
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 2:12:38 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

"Master and Commander" was brilliant in every aspect.

+1

But then I also love the books, even though he stretches history with his timeline, the details are so vividly accurate ...

Pax

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Really wondering... - 11/10/2013 8:00:51 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Schindler's list is the best film I know of with topic "holocaust". It is however not a "combat" movie so I didn't take it into consideration..

The Pianist was excellent as well.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Really wondering... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI