Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

state of the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> state of the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
state of the game - 5/15/2021 11:22:11 PM   
michaelbaldur

we dont have a big Wif community In Denmark, but im often asked about the state of the game.

for solitaire: yes solitaire is almost bug free, but the supply calculations make the game unplayable. mid game I have a 90 seconds move unit delay.

net play: as Wif is a multiplayer game, it would be expected to have a solid multiplayer function. it does not. netplay still have game ending bugs.

for AI: yes its not there.

for the beta tester: yes that there are still beta testers on a finished and released project say it all. but some time ago I posted a tread (on the private forum). asking if we where still need or if we (implied) was just posting bugs on a dead forum. it was answered with a deafening silence.

overall, is the game finished ?? : no. its a basic unfinished game, unplayable solitaire, not working netplay and no AI

and this Is a game released 8 years ago, and still costing $100

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 5/15/2021 11:24:09 PM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Post #: 1
RE: state of the game - 5/16/2021 2:33:54 AM   
craigbear

I play solitaire and am not experiencing the length of turn issues you are having. And solitaire is the extent of my expectations... anything else is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 2
RE: state of the game - 5/16/2021 2:49:58 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: craigbear

I play solitaire and am not experiencing the length of turn issues you are having. And solitaire is the extent of my expectations... anything else is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

That's great, but unfortunately it was not marketed or sold as such (for a $100 product, no less).

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 5/16/2021 2:54:58 AM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to craigbear)
Post #: 3
RE: state of the game - 5/16/2021 9:05:14 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: craigbear

That's great, but unfortunately it was not marketed or sold as such (for a $100 product, no less).

When I purchased the game it was with the understanding that an AI would be developed.
I invested a hundred bucks in the game.
I also invested in Lucent

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 4
RE: state of the game - 5/16/2021 9:26:04 PM   
Bamilus

Not only AI but a ton of optional rules and partial map scenarios, both of which are still missing even 4 years after Erik's post.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 5
RE: state of the game - 5/19/2021 11:57:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Optional Rules - those in red are not implemented:
19 not implemented, 62 implemented.

rsDivisions = 'Divisions';
rsArtillery = 'Artillery';
rsFortifications = 'Fortifications';
rsSupplyUnits = 'Supply units';
rsCombatEngineers = 'Combat engineers';
rsFlyingBoats = 'Flying boats';
rsTerritorials = 'Territorials';
rsLimitedOverseasSupply = 'Limited overseas supply';
rsLimitedSupplyAcrossStraits = 'Limited supply across straits';
rsHQSupport = 'HQ support';
rsEmergencyHQSupply = 'Emergency HQ supply';
rsSyntheticOilPlants = 'Synthetic oil plants';
rsOffCityReinforcement = 'Off-city reinforcement';
rsRecruitmentLimits = 'Recruitment limits';
rsHQMovement = 'HQ movement';
rsBottomedShips = 'Bottomed ships';
rsInThePresenceOfTheEnemy = 'In the presence of the enemy';
rsSurprisedZOCs = 'Surprised ZOCs';
rsBounceCombat = 'Bounce combat';

rsVWeapons = 'V weapons';
rsAtomicBombs = 'Atomic bombs';
rsFrogmen = 'Frogmen';
rsSCSTransport = 'SCS transport';
rsAmphibiousRules = 'Amphibious rules';
rsOptionalCVSearching = 'Variable carrier plane searching';
rsPilots = 'Pilots';
rsFoodInFlames = 'Food in flames';
rsFactoryConstruction = 'Factory construction and destruction';
rsSavingResources = 'Saving oil resources and build points';
rsCarpetBombing = 'Carpet bombing';
rsTankBusters = 'Tank busters';
rsMotorizedMovementRates = 'Motorized movement rates';
rsBomberATR = 'Bomber and no paradrop ATRs';
rsLargeATR = 'Large ATRs';
rsRailwayMovement = 'Railway movement bonus';
rsDefensiveShoreBombardment = 'Defensive shore bombardment';
rsBlitzBonus = 'Blitz bonus';
rsChineseAttackWeakness = 'Chinese attack weakness';
rsFractionalOdds = 'Fractional odds';
rsAlliedCombatFriction = 'Allied combat friction';
rsTwoD10LandCRT = '2D10 Land CRT';
rsExtendedAircraftRebasing = 'Extended aircraft rebasing';
rsVariableReorganizationCosts = 'Variable reorganization costs';
rsPartisans = 'Partisans';
rsIsolatedReorganizationLimits = 'Isolated reorganization limits';
rsOilRules = 'Oil rules';
rsHitlersWar = 'Hitler''s war';
rsUSSRJapanCompulsoryPeace = 'USSR-Japan compulsory peace';
rsEnrouteInterception = 'En-route aircraft interception';

rsNightMissions = 'Night air missions';
rsTwinEnginedFighters = 'Twin-engined fighters';
rsFighterBombers = 'Fighter-bombers';
rsBackupFighters = 'Backup fighters';
rsCarrierPlanes = 'Carrier planes';
rsRoughSeas = 'Rough seas';
rsLimitedAircraftInterception = 'Limited aircraft interception';

rsInternment = 'Internment';
rsFlyingBombs = 'Flying bombs';
rsKamikazes = 'Kamikazes';
rsOffensiveChits = 'Offensive chits';
rsUkraine = 'The Ukraine';
rsIntelligence = 'Intelligence';
rsJapaneseCommandConflict = 'Japanese command conflict';

rsSkiTroops = 'Ski troops';
rsQueens = 'The Queens';
rsCityBasedVolunteers = 'City based volunteeres';
rsSiberians = 'Siberians';
rsNavalSupplyUnits = 'Naval supply units';
rsGuardsBannerArmies = 'Guards banner armies';

rsChineseWarlords = 'Chinese warlords';
rsPartisanHQs = 'Partisan HQs';
rsCruisersInFlames = 'Cruisers in Flames';
rsConvoysInFlames = 'Convoys in Flames';
rsOilTankers = 'Oil tankers';

rsConstructionEngineers = 'Construction engineers';
rsScrapUnits = 'Scrap units';
rsAddChineseCities = 'Additional Chinese cities';
rsUnlimitedBreakdown = 'Unlimited breakdown';
rsExtendedGame = 'Extended game length';
rsBreakingNaziSovietPact = 'Breaking the Nazi-Soviet pact';
rsNavalOffensiveChit = 'Naval offensive chit';

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 5/19/2021 11:58:21 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 6
RE: state of the game - 5/20/2021 8:13:46 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

we dont have a big Wif community In Denmark, but im often asked about the state of the game.

for solitaire: yes solitaire is almost bug free, but the supply calculations make the game unplayable. mid game I have a 90 seconds move unit delay.

net play: as Wif is a multiplayer game, it would be expected to have a solid multiplayer function. it does not. netplay still have game ending bugs.

for AI: yes its not there.

for the beta tester: yes that there are still beta testers on a finished and released project say it all. but some time ago I posted a tread (on the private forum). asking if we where still need or if we (implied) was just posting bugs on a dead forum. it was answered with a deafening silence.

overall, is the game finished ?? : no. its a basic unfinished game, unplayable solitaire, not working netplay and no AI

and this Is a game released 8 years ago, and still costing $100

I agree to all, and i would add some more but dont want to start a flame war with the fanboys. However I have to say I don't suffer those long supply calculation times, it goes swift for me.

Post #: 7
RE: state of the game - 5/21/2021 1:17:23 AM   
generalfdog

I purchased this game when it first came out and have been quit disappointed, it went from a great board game to a badly supported, overpriced computer game that I feel really didn't translate that well, a lot more could and should be done by the computer. and we waited years for it to come out and now 8 years later there is still nothing but solitaire! I don't care about AI but at least make pbem every other Matrix game does!

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 8
RE: state of the game - 5/21/2021 2:03:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: generalfdog

I purchased this game when it first came out and have been quit disappointed, it went from a great board game to a badly supported, overpriced computer game that I feel really didn't translate that well, a lot more could and should be done by the computer. and we waited years for it to come out and now 8 years later there is still nothing but solitaire! I don't care about AI but at least make pbem every other Matrix game does!

A pure PBEM version of World in Flames would be unplayable. For example,

---

In my current NetPlay game we had 12 Japanese carrier planes plus 5 land based planes versus the US 5 land based planes fighting in the China Sea. Both players needed to decide which of their air units would fly as fighters and which would fly as bombers. Then they needed to decide on the order for both fighters and bombers. Next, the player with surprise points decided whether to use the surprise points to change the air-to-air combat factors for the fighters (+ for his fighters, - for the enemy fighters).

Next there were a series of die rolls for the air-to-air combat. Each side rolled 2 ten-sided dice for a result. One of the players (which one depended on the die roll) decided which air unit was aborted, cleared through, or destroyed. If a land based plane was aborted, its owner decided where it should return to base. A second die roll was made (the counter-stroke) and a similar set of decisions was made by one of the players (again, which one depended on the die roll). That was one round of air-to-air combat. Each player then decided whether to stay for another round of air-to-air combat. Once the air-to-air combat was fully resolved, there was anti-aircraft fire for the attacked ships. As for air-to-air combat, a player with surprise points had an opportunity to change the effectiveness of the anti-aircraft fire. Once both sides' AA fire was resolved, then the bombers went in against the ships. The choice of targeted ship alternates between the owner of the bombers and the owner of the ships. Once the naval combat attacks on the ships was completed, the carrier air bombers returned to carriers - the owner choosing which plane landed on which carrier (note that some of the carriers may have just been destroyed). That concluded the first round of naval combat in the sea area. Each player then decided whether to stay or abort from the sea area. [We are in 1943 and there are anywhere from 3 to 12 sea areas in which naval combat occurs each impulse - multiple impulses each turn.]

My guess is that performing just the one round of naval combat in the above example by email would require almost 100 emails. As I said above, a pure PBEM system for World in Flames is unplayable.

---

Players have devised methods of 4 players playing using email, with 2 players on each side. Those systems are PBEM hybrids, with players exchanging quick Q & A with each other for decision making. Usually, Skype, or Matrix forum posts are used. There are after-action-reports (AAR) with an extraordinary amount of detail about their games.. You might look at what they are doing to see if it would suit you. I am sure they would provide all the help you would need to get started.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 9
RE: state of the game - 5/21/2021 7:06:37 PM   
CanInf

I do not have the same impression. I have made it to 48 twice now, and 47 once, with dozens of games ending far earlier. These games were in solitaire mode, head to head and now net play. we have issues, but generally it's because of us (having pools open at the wrong time, continue moving after an overrun, not knowing about F11, that sort of thing). here is simply now way I would ever go back to the board game and the endless battles over rules.

Post #: 10
RE: state of the game - 5/22/2021 1:10:26 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: generalfdog

Honestly the game plays very well in PBEM if you pair solitaire with a messaging app (e.g., WhatsApp, Google Hangout, Facebook). I've played both 2 and 3 player games very satisfactory that way. Well the mechanics of play were very satisfactory but my actual play wasn't.

Ronnie

Post #: 11
RE: state of the game - 5/22/2021 5:19:06 PM   
ViktorKormel

It is not true that the game is unplayable in solitaire or hotseat mode. I have played no less than fifteen games in solitaire mode (four until 1948) and five in hotseat mode with a group of friends.
It is true that there are some bugs but most of them are avoidable if you know the rules and in the worst case, for some of them, you edit the save files.

This is our current list of frequent bugs with the latest version.

1. Naval movement errors, especially when you split fleets or there are interceptions. To fix this, we frequently save when moving fleets but I admit that sometimes it is very annoying to have to repeat the movements.

2. The undo command does not work well, neither with ships, nor when moving forward after combat and sometimes in air missions. The undo all command does not work well either.

3. After deactivating or modifying commercial agreements they do not disappear or change automatically, it is necessary to delete them or modify them manually.

4. The system of convoys sometimes works irregularly. We adjust it by editing the save, it is very fast and efficient.

5. One of the worst for us, when you liberate or reconquer, territories, archipelagos or some minor countries the control of the hexagons does not change properly. This is especially annoying in the pacific and is not easy to fix.

6. When you are going to deploy some reinforcements and it is not possible due to stacking limits, playing with the optional deployment rule, the game stops instead of putting the counter in the next month's reinforcement pool. Most of the time this can be fixed by editing the save but not always.

In my opinion, these are annoying bugs but they don't make the game unplayable and they are not many for such a complex game. As for the optional rules not yet implemented, the only important one for us is the non-aggression pact between Japan and the USSR, I hope it will be one of the next to be implemented. As for the partial scenarios, in my opinion they are of little interest as they are not well balanced in the original game. About the AI we already spoke some time ago, we are of the opinion that except in learning scenarios it is not worth the effort. Finally and although we do not play in network we think that it would be good to polish and improve it to expand the community of players. My apologies for this long post, we like the game and we want it to continue its development. Nothing more to thank the programmer for the effort, we understand your criticisms but for my friends and I it is much better to have this game than not having it.

Saludos y animo!

What if if what if

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 12
RE: state of the game - 5/22/2021 6:06:08 PM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: ViktorKormel

It is not true that the game is unplayable in solitaire or hotseat mode. I have played no less than fifteen games in solitaire mode (four until 1948) and five in hotseat mode with a group of friends.
It is true that there are some bugs but most of them are avoidable if you know the rules and in the worst case, for some of them, you edit the save files.

1. Naval movement errors, especially when you split fleets or there are interceptions. To fix this, we frequently save when moving fleets but I admit that sometimes it is very annoying to have to repeat the movements.

2. The undo command does not work well, neither with ships, nor when moving forward after combat and sometimes in air missions. The undo all command does not work well either.

3. After deactivating or modifying commercial agreements they do not disappear or change automatically, it is necessary to delete them or modify them manually.

4. The system of convoys sometimes works irregularly. We adjust it by editing the save, it is very fast and efficient.

5. One of the worst for us, when you liberate or reconquer, territories, archipelagos or some minor countries the control of the hexagons does not change properly. This is especially annoying in the pacific and is not easy to fix.

6. When you are going to deploy some reinforcements and it is not possible due to stacking limits, playing with the optional deployment rule, the game stops instead of putting the counter in the next month's reinforcement pool. Most of the time this can be fixed by editing the save but not always.

In my opinion, these are annoying bugs but they don't make the game unplayable and they are not many for such a complex game. As for the optional rules not yet implemented, the only important one for us is the non-aggression pact between Japan and the USSR, I hope it will be one of the next to be implemented. As for the partial scenarios, in my opinion they are of little interest as they are not well balanced in the original game. About the AI we already spoke some time ago, we are of the opinion that except in learning scenarios it is not worth the effort. Finally and although we do not play in network we think that it would be good to polish and improve it to expand the community of players. My apologies for this long post, we like the game and we want it to continue its development. Nothing more to thank the programmer for the effort, we understand your criticisms but for my friends and I it is much better to have this game than not having it.

Saludos y animo!

a few bugs is acceptable. when the game is released.

but this is 8 YEARS after the release

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to ViktorKormel)
Post #: 13
RE: state of the game - 5/23/2021 11:28:35 AM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

Saludos y animo!

True. But what's the alternative? I don't have one. Do you?

Peter

Post #: 14
RE: state of the game - 5/23/2021 1:14:05 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Yep. A few bugs is one thing. And I can still be patient about an AI. But please release the Fascist Tide half-map ETO scenario already. Grrr. That's why I bought WiF; not for the PTO, not for Global, and not for some insane convoy management mini-game within a game. I'd just like to play ETO, a few bugs or not. So, I continue to wait. My manuals are still in shrink wrap, awaiting the day that I can get serious about this game.

On the flip side, I've been beating my head against the wall for these past several years trying to fix the "few bugs" in Empires in Arms and getting the AI up to speed. Harry Rowland, bless his heart, created decent boardgames for humans to play but trying to properly code so many insanely intricate rules and phases is a challenge beyond words. And taking on someone else's code, for an extra challenge. I give Steve credit. I understand. So I wait, as patiently as I must.

Post #: 15
RE: state of the game - 5/23/2021 3:09:43 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

quote:

Saludos y animo!

True. But what's the alternative? I don't have one. Do you?

Alternative is for me to go back in time and not buy this for $100, lol. But seriously, I think the alternative is Matrix to have been more up-front about the state of the game and it's development. This game should've been released for a fraction of the price and in an "early access" type state. The way it was marketed was entirely incongruent with that.

Everyone understands how massive this project is and how it's a one man team. But we were led to believe it was further along than it actually was and for $100 that's an unreal premium. Oh well, you live and learn.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 5/23/2021 3:11:00 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 16
RE: state of the game - 5/23/2021 6:22:09 PM   
CanInf

as I posted elsewhere my ROI on this game is orders of magnitude better than any game I ever bought by far. Many may not share this experience, but I suspect it's not uncommon.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 17
RE: state of the game - 5/23/2021 7:09:11 PM   
Angeldust2

Absolutely. Same here. No other game with such an incredible value-for-cost ratio.
And no, there are not many, who think otherwise, but only very few. The vast majority of customers, who actually play this game, are just happy to have this digitalised version of WIF. They just don't bother to post their satisfaction every second year, probably because they enjoy actual playing this gem more.
I have requests and expectations to the further development of this game as well, I might disagree with some minor development and design decisions, but specifically the value-for-cost ratio of this game is outstanding, despite all minor shortcomings. I put in >1000 hours so far, so it doesn't matter, if the game cost 10 or 100 USD.

(in reply to CanInf)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> state of the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI