Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 12:34:41 AM   
Red Prince

As promised, I am going to continue (restart) the Global War long-term scenario I was working on before. It will probably be a day or two before I'm able to complete any work on it, but I'd like to hear any/all suggestions about what each country might do in this game. I plan to play agressively as the Axis:
  • Germany will once again run things in the Balkans so that Rumania becomes a full ally
  • Italy will be trying to close the Med in the Middle-East once more
  • Germany and/or Italy will be trying to take Gibraltar (and Tangier -- I'm convinced now)
  • I may or may not conquer France, depending on how the game goes
  • Sea Lion is probably out
  • Barbarossa '41 is prefered, but not necessary
  • I'd still like to try to sneak the Germans over the Persian border to activate Turkey

Any or all of this is subjet to change, based on your thoughts. Primarily, I'd like to hear about build strategies, since I really screwed that up last time. Additionally, the choice of US Entry options has received some debate. I'll try to keep track of the actual values this time around, so you can make your suggestions there, too.

So, start opining, and when I start setting things up late tonight/tomorrow/the next day, I'll try to take your suggestions into account. As soon as I'm able, I'll post the list of Optional Rules in use.

Just recognize that I have a lot of catch-up to do now, and posts here may be less frequent than any of us would like.

-Aaron

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Post #: 1
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 4:57:42 AM   
brian brian

I think a tough part of playing World in Flames solitaire is deciding what to do with Japan and Russia. In the West, the Allies have little choice but to just react to Axis decisions for a fair amount of time. The Chinese - they mostly make tactical decisions in response to the Japanese. But the Russians have some freedom of action...which Borderlands to go for, whether to campaign in the Middle East, and a big question ... what to do in the Far East?

The Russians can plan in advance on surrendering at the first strike of Japanese aggression (not a bad plan if you know an all-out Italo-German 41 Barbarossa is coming), a stubborn defense no matter what, a pre-emptive strike into Manchuria, or a wait-and-see-how-it-goes-in-China fence sitz.

The Japanese also have to answer this question ... what to do in Siberia? An early war right away? A summer, 1940 campaign? A simultaneous attack with the Euro-Axis .... but which year will that be? Or maybe a mutually beneficial detente?

I think you have to make a decision for each of those two powers ahead of time, and stick to it until one of the countries can see a good reason to change that policy. This might mean you use some activity limits for deception purposes, even though you are actually playing against yourself. Alternatively, you can just decide ahead of time to see what happens in a certain combination of the above decisions, and play it out that way.

I have gone this route.....I put two strong Russian GARR units in the two Far East cities (not Vlad, where a couple RES units can appear), but keep the 7-4 Siberian RES for use in Europe when the time comes. I would never surrender the Russians, there is little point to that on such a huge map now, and just stubbornly make the Japanese march to the Russian bases and dig them out. For the Japanese, I go with a simultaneous attack with the Euro-Axis, and do it in somewhat of a stealth style by holding the Marines in reserve in Japan, or on garrison duty in some Chinese port, building the Manchurian & Korean TERR at the last possible moment (and the local MIL in each country as much as possible), along with a couple-three new INF arriving right then. In other words, peaking Japanese Infantry gearing on time for a sudden strike into Siberia without an obvious advance build-up. And that works out in terms of playing each country in a smart way, even when you know all the plans ahead of time.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 7:04:45 AM   
michaelbaldur

I agree that Russia should never surrender.

I have tried to reach all factories with Germany/ Japan. it really takes alot of time.

and there are really nothing in middle/south Siberia to take for the axis.   

as a axis player I would go for the red factories and the oil.

the area between Sverdlovsk and Chita is a waste of time to take. the Russians can keep does 2 factories.

just a note between Sverdlovsk and Chita there are 57 hexes. so it would take Rommel/Manstein 11 impulses to cover that.

that is 3 summer turns, if there is good weather and no russian units and no mountains.

and yes the Russians are in play but with 2-3 BP a turn they are almost harmless. it is a job for HQ Lieb and 4-6 fast infantry or cav to keep then at bay.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 4:11:05 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Are you playing with Factories in Flames? And with those disbanding rules? Those massively affect the build strategies.

EDIT. Actually, what optional rules are you playing with in general?

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 11/4/2011 4:15:55 PM >

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 4
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 6:27:25 PM   
composer99

Factories in Flames is not part of MWiF. Fortunately for Steve, as the coding would be nightmarish, I'm sure. :)

~ Composer99

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 5
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 6:31:59 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Factories in Flames is not part of MWiF. Fortunately for Steve, as the coding would be nightmarish, I'm sure. :)

It could be it depends on how much of the 2008 WiF Annual will be used.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 11/4/2011 6:33:19 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 6
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 8:38:48 PM   
composer99

If memory serves, Steve himself indicated Factories in Flames wasn't going to make the cut; however I cannot recall in which thread this statement was made, and I did not see it come up when I did a search (although I am not very good at message board searches).

~ Composer99

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 7
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 10:01:25 PM   
Orm

Only errata is included in MWIF from the 2008 annual.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 8
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 10:51:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Only errata is included in MWIF from the 2008 annual.

Yes.

---

There have been some rule clarifications we have gotten directly from Harry Rowland - I don't know if they have been added to the FAQ or not.

There are several new optional rules in MWIF:

• Scrap units (the rule for scrapping units is not optional in WIF FE; it is in MWIF)
• Add Chinese cities (to accommodate the increased number of hexes in China)
• Unlimited breakdown (since there is no printing constraint on the number of unit counters)
• Extended game (a commonly used house rule in over-the-board games)
• Breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact (makes it somewhat easier for Germany to declare war on the USSR in 1941).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 11:17:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

• Breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact (makes it somewhat easier for Germany to declare war on the USSR in 1941).

And making it easier for USSR to declare war on Germany as well.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 10
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 11:24:38 PM   
BallyJ

The set of US entry counters has also been changed.
From a finite set to an infinite set.
IMO a big change!

Post #: 11
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 11:25:02 PM   
Red Prince

Basically, I'm going to use the same optionals I used for the last game, which I'll try to post here. I'm having a few problems with my new computer. It's resolution is 1366 x 768, and that tends to cut off a few of the forms. I'll figure it out soon and get started in the next day or two.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 12
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/4/2011 11:27:18 PM   
Red Prince

On the plus side, though, if I can figure out how to do it, I can use my widescreen TV either as a second screen, extended desktop, or clone. Good luck with that, eh?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 13
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 3:34:27 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

If memory serves, Steve himself indicated Factories in Flames wasn't going to make the cut; however I cannot recall in which thread this statement was made, and I did not see it come up when I did a search (although I am not very good at message board searches).

Rules for MWiF ~ Shannon V. OKeets Post #:2

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 14
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 5:17:28 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Hmm, well, with your list of objectives, here's my relatively basic analysis.

It's going to be *really* tough to do both the Mediterranean dominance and an attack on the USSR by '41. The only way I've ever been able to do that is by crippling France on the first turn, but if you're not playing with the no- ZoC- on the surprise impulse optional, it's tough to knock over Belgium and France quickly enough on the first turn, since you'll need to detour through the Netherlands to avoid a Dyle Defense. Since you've said that the '41 attack is preferred but not necessary, I'm going to prioritize the other stuff rather than really gearing up for a superstrike on the Soviets.

Secondly, if you're going after a Mediterranean strategy, I'd probably elect to align Hungary and Bulgaria instead of getting full ally status with the Romanians. If you're delaying a Barbarossa, and not putting everything you have into the knockout strike, the advantage you secure by being able to move men into Romania prior to a declaration of war with the U.S.S.R. goes way down. Furthermore, in the Balkans, I would try to knock out Yugoslavia in '39. You're just not going to have a lot of time or attention to spare once France heats up as a theater, and you almost certainly aren't going to be able to finesse your way through Greece to align the country.

Towards that end, I would divide your initial set up as follows.

First Turn Germany

Fleet goes in Kiel

Bock, a strong inf, and a gun in the forest southwest of Vienna
Your Mountain, another strong inf, and another gun in hex 0226 (the one with the partisan fist)
2 more mid strength inf in that mountain between them (hex 0227) Support them with the Me-110 and some of your longer ranged 3 factor bombers

Your 3 Garr and your two weakest inf should cover the French border, one guy on each hex. It's really just to stop him from end running into your cities; the real deterrence against a French counterattack is their pumping up your production. Give them the forts to help bolster things.

Your SS div can reach Copenhagen in one impulse with Railway movement, so you put him north of Kiel

That leaves us with Rundstedt, Leeb, the two ARM, the Mech, the Two Mots, 4 inf, 2 guns, and the inf and engineer divisions to smash Poland with. They should be supported with the stukas. You're guaranteed good weather on the first impulse, so groundstrike concentrations of Polish troops and eat them.

On your second impulse, DoW Denmark and Yugoslavia, and rip them apart. Denmark should fall in an impulse, but Yugoslavia might put up a fight, especially around Zagreb, where the terrain is icky. If you get lucky with the Italian plane draw, you might have an SM 79 or a Cicogna, which you can put in La Spezia to help further support your activities. Still, you ideally want to be in Belgrade by the years end. Focus on killing Yugoslav units more than on gaining territory, the UK can't really spare much production and probably won't even induce them into the force pool.

Set up your reserves, especially the Mech, in northwest Germany, and on even a reasonably good weather impulse (you should get at least one) attack the Netherlands and get into Rotterdam. When March rolls around, hit Belgium, and then pour into France, and don't stop attacking south till you hit the water.

Now, builds. Assuming you knocked Poland out on the first turn, (at the very least grab the resources) and you used 2 oil up in operations, and the Soviets claimed Bessarabia and thus reduced their tribute payment to you by one, you should have the following production.

9 resources in Germany
1 in Austria
1 in Czechoslovakia
2 in Poland
Receiving in L.L.
3 from Sweden
1 from Hungary
1 from Turkey
6 from the U.S.S.R.
2 from Romania
-2 for Oil

leaving us with 24*3/4=18 BP, of which we have to give 2 to the Soviets, leaving us with 16 BP total. (It works out very nicely. You'll have 24 factories exactly if you grab the red one in Lodz. You did have the engineer take Lodz, didn't you?)

On the first turn I would build 5 pilots (10) the Me-110,(3) an inf (3) and that free Vienna CBV mil. In general, you're going to need planes a lot more than you're going to need land units, of which you already start with quite a few once the reserves flow in. Again, especially if we're delaying the attack on the U.S.S.R. till '42, we doing really need a ton of Arm and Mech until then, which are usually the big cost land unit builds

The reason I build all those pilots on the first turn is two fold. One, you'll need them; you start with a bunch more planes than you have pilots anyway. Two, you're maxed out on Ftr2, and your land bombers from 36 and 37 are pretty lousy. Waiting to build bombers until 1940 lets you scrap the worst guys out of your forcepool (unless you drew them already), and concentrate on building nice things like Stukas and Ju-88s. First chance you get, scrap those HS-123s and every LND3 you can.

First Turn Italy

You have 3 major objectives and one minor objective as Italy in closing the Med. For all of these, I would generally recommend declaring war on both France and the CW on the first turn, probably in the third Axis impulse, so you can get involved with whatever Germany is up to; also importantly, it lets Germany drip you resources, which you *will* need to produce anything meaningful. In no particular order, I suggest the following:

1. Neutralize Malta
2. Take Suez
3. Push westwards to Morocco
4. Grab the Cyprus resource.

A lot of these will require invasions, and more than one will probably require German assistance.

Now, I'm used to playing with Limited Overseas Supply, so I tend to ignore Malta directly and instead focus on blasting convoy points and Transports that make it into the Med. If you're not, you'll probably have to invade it, on the 3rd impulse if possible. Note however, that you can't really stop the British from reinforcing it with someone, at which point your division assaults will be more or less meaningless.If he does that, get revenge by sinking his TRS with a port strike on the surprise impulse using the Gabbiano. (or at least trying)

Cyprus is nice, but honestly can probably wait, it's easy to knock out of supply, so whenever you have a minute, send an inf division to overrun Famagusta.

The western med gets a lot easier depending on what the French drew for their territorials. Generally though, you should be able to overrun Tunisia with your territorials, but Algeria is a tough nut to crack even if it's only defended by one unit. Due to the scarcity of ports, going past Algeria is going to require a HQ, so will probably have to wait until after Metropolitan France falls. Deployment wise, this means that I'd put my fastest territorial in hex 0605, and everyone else in the eastern reaches of Libya, right up at the border in Bardia.

If you are having to wait, the M.O. should be something like this: Overrun Bone if you can with the territorial. If you can't use a division to invade Oran, he probably won't be able to cover both. Once you have a port, ship in a few German Corps, and have them march on Algiers. Once you have that, ship in a HQ and start your walk to Rabat.

Now, the CW only starts with Wavell and 2 weak territorials in Egypt, but don't get complacent, they can reinforce that garrison and they probably will, fast. If, however, they don't put anyone in on the first impulse (Say they were reinforcing Malta instead) you can sometimes do an end run by breaking down your mountain inf into a MTN div and a Mot Div, and then using the mtn div to invade at Port Said on the surprise impulse. He should be able to make it through, and if Wavell doesn't counterattack and risk DSB and a relatively low odds attack, you can ship in your mech and mot the next impulse on a combined, and then march out with some fast guys for Suez.

If you don't get that end run to work, you'll probably need German help in the form of planes, or wait all the way until the Japanese enter the war so they can knock out the Red Sea supply route.

Your first turn builds are pretty hampered, given that you'll probably use the Romanian oil for reorg, won't have taken either Cyprus or Algeria yet; leaving you with a grand total of 2 BP. Internal jury is out as to whether to start a trans, to start a pilot or a nav, or just to save the BP. (I'm used to playing with Factories in Flames, which gives you a lot more flexibility, sorry :( )

Either way, stay flexible, and look for opportunities. You're not strong enough to overcome organized resistance, so look for gaps in the deployment; the CW is stretched enough that there will be some, and hit there. You will want another transport reasonably soon, the Germans will start wanting to send troops into the Med, and that means you have to haul them about.

Dealing with France.
Once you've knocked out Belgium (should be early in M/A 40), you'll have 10 hexes of border with the French. Some of them face the Maginot line, and while you probably will have trouble breaching head on, Metz or Strassburg can sometimes be taken by assiduous use of artillery and the engineer. Keep an eye out, since the French probably can't afford to garrison those hexes to the same strength that they will in the north.

In the North, mass your armor, and look for blitzes; it's surprisingly possible to knock a few sections of the French army out of supply. But most of all, use your air power. By M/A, you'll have your Para, an ATR to service him, and you should have something like 6 active FTR2, 2 active FTR3, 5 LND2, and 3 Lnd3. Bomb the French with impunity, using groundstrikes to paralyze the defense while your armor punches through. You will probably need to use an O-Chit at some point, and if you start your general attack in M/A, I'd go land; if you wait till M/J, I'd use it to launch a mega-groundstrike wave on an air. Either way, if you're going for full conquest, the important part is to stay out of France and avoid increasing their production until you're ready for an overwhelming strike, following by a blast of killing as many French units as possible. You'll want to destroy about 75% of them with your strike by turn's end. Downgrade to retreat and avoid letting units escape to the production tract.

To get the air units mentioned above, N/D should have you build a Lnd 2 (scrap any HS-123 in the force pool, and if you were lucky enough to draw all three eligible stukas in your initial draft, power to you, build a CVP instead so that you can build 2 Lnd2 when J/F 40 rolls around. Build another 4 pilots in N/D 39, and then slack off a bit on the pilots, as you warm up production tracts in M/A 40 for those juicy LND 3. (you will want the FTR2, but they can wait a *little* while, your initial air advantage will be enough that you can let it slide just a bit if you're not planning on a sealion.)

Early 40, you'll also want to build Rommel, Gustav/Dora, maybe a second field gun. By the middle of the year you'll want a synth plant or two, and towards the end I'd work on another O-chit. Throughout the year you'll probably want 1-2 pilots and 2-3 planes a turn. Focus on LND, you'll need them to crack the Pyranees. Later in the year (assuming you'll get to Gibraltar by mid-late 41) you'll want to build the two Condors, to help you clear Cape St Vincent. Don't get your ENG killed, or you won't be able to repair the factories you capture, which you'll need to keep production up.

It's okay to start your attack on Spain a little piecemeal, there aren't any production bonuses involved, and you win by stretching the Spanish out, so even little bulges you can't break through with will be helpful. The Italians can open a second front by invading around Cartagena or Almeria, letting one of you make an end run for Madrid. Still, it'll probably take a little while to get through. Not a lot of real tricks, just use overwhelming air power to bludgeon your way past.

Assaulting Gibraltar
I'll admit, with the combination of DSB and no LOS, taking Gibraltar looks dicey. IF he masses his fleet in Cape St Vincent, you're going to have a hard time digging them out. If he puts in the 7-3 reserve and the Montreal Mil, that's 12 factors, doubled for mountain, doubled again with his de-facto infinite Shore Bombardmutent if you can't chase his battleships off. You can get the Italian fleet to give you some SB of your own, and put big guns in Tangier and hex 2413, so you can use a spate of ground support with them. You'll probably need an O-Chit to break through though. In the meantime, your spare units (since you won't need a lot of land corps for this operation) should be filtering up through Poland, and flooding through Egypt if you haven't taken it already. There's not a lot of defensive terrain there, so you should be able to punch through with 2 Armored Corps and some supporting inf.

I'd continue more, and in greater detail, but it's getting late and I can (and probably will) elaborate on this later.

Hoping this was somewhat helpful,
Ur_Vile_Wedge.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 15
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 6:44:13 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

There's also a fix to prevent the NEI going Vichy.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 10:54:36 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Hmm, well, with your list of objectives, here's my relatively basic analysis.

It's going to be *really* tough to do both the Mediterranean dominance and an attack on the USSR by '41. The only way I've ever been able to do that is by crippling France on the first turn, but if you're not playing with the no- ZoC- on the surprise impulse optional, it's tough to knock over Belgium and France quickly enough on the first turn, since you'll need to detour through the Netherlands to avoid a Dyle Defense. Since you've said that the '41 attack is preferred but not necessary, I'm going to prioritize the other stuff rather than really gearing up for a superstrike on the Soviets.

Secondly, if you're going after a Mediterranean strategy, I'd probably elect to align Hungary and Bulgaria instead of getting full ally status with the Romanians. If you're delaying a Barbarossa, and not putting everything you have into the knockout strike, the advantage you secure by being able to move men into Romania prior to a declaration of war with the U.S.S.R. goes way down. Furthermore, in the Balkans, I would try to knock out Yugoslavia in '39. You're just not going to have a lot of time or attention to spare once France heats up as a theater, and you almost certainly aren't going to be able to finesse your way through Greece to align the country.

Towards that end, I would divide your initial set up as follows.

First Turn Germany

Fleet goes in Kiel

Bock, a strong inf, and a gun in the forest southwest of Vienna
Your Mountain, another strong inf, and another gun in hex 0226 (the one with the partisan fist)
2 more mid strength inf in that mountain between them (hex 0227) Support them with the Me-110 and some of your longer ranged 3 factor bombers

Your 3 Garr and your two weakest inf should cover the French border, one guy on each hex. It's really just to stop him from end running into your cities; the real deterrence against a French counterattack is their pumping up your production. Give them the forts to help bolster things.

Your SS div can reach Copenhagen in one impulse with Railway movement, so you put him north of Kiel

That leaves us with Rundstedt, Leeb, the two ARM, the Mech, the Two Mots, 4 inf, 2 guns, and the inf and engineer divisions to smash Poland with. They should be supported with the stukas. You're guaranteed good weather on the first impulse, so groundstrike concentrations of Polish troops and eat them.

On your second impulse, DoW Denmark and Yugoslavia, and rip them apart. Denmark should fall in an impulse, but Yugoslavia might put up a fight, especially around Zagreb, where the terrain is icky. If you get lucky with the Italian plane draw, you might have an SM 79 or a Cicogna, which you can put in La Spezia to help further support your activities. Still, you ideally want to be in Belgrade by the years end. Focus on killing Yugoslav units more than on gaining territory, the UK can't really spare much production and probably won't even induce them into the force pool.

Set up your reserves, especially the Mech, in northwest Germany, and on even a reasonably good weather impulse (you should get at least one) attack the Netherlands and get into Rotterdam. When March rolls around, hit Belgium, and then pour into France, and don't stop attacking south till you hit the water.

Now, builds. Assuming you knocked Poland out on the first turn, (at the very least grab the resources) and you used 2 oil up in operations, and the Soviets claimed Bessarabia and thus reduced their tribute payment to you by one, you should have the following production.

9 resources in Germany
1 in Austria
1 in Czechoslovakia
2 in Poland
Receiving in L.L.
3 from Sweden
1 from Hungary
1 from Turkey
6 from the U.S.S.R.
2 from Romania
-2 for Oil

leaving us with 24*3/4=18 BP, of which we have to give 2 to the Soviets, leaving us with 16 BP total. (It works out very nicely. You'll have 24 factories exactly if you grab the red one in Lodz. You did have the engineer take Lodz, didn't you?)

On the first turn I would build 5 pilots (10) the Me-110,(3) an inf (3) and that free Vienna CBV mil. In general, you're going to need planes a lot more than you're going to need land units, of which you already start with quite a few once the reserves flow in. Again, especially if we're delaying the attack on the U.S.S.R. till '42, we doing really need a ton of Arm and Mech until then, which are usually the big cost land unit builds

The reason I build all those pilots on the first turn is two fold. One, you'll need them; you start with a bunch more planes than you have pilots anyway. Two, you're maxed out on Ftr2, and your land bombers from 36 and 37 are pretty lousy. Waiting to build bombers until 1940 lets you scrap the worst guys out of your forcepool (unless you drew them already), and concentrate on building nice things like Stukas and Ju-88s. First chance you get, scrap those HS-123s and every LND3 you can.

First Turn Italy

You have 3 major objectives and one minor objective as Italy in closing the Med. For all of these, I would generally recommend declaring war on both France and the CW on the first turn, probably in the third Axis impulse, so you can get involved with whatever Germany is up to; also importantly, it lets Germany drip you resources, which you *will* need to produce anything meaningful. In no particular order, I suggest the following:

1. Neutralize Malta
2. Take Suez
3. Push westwards to Morocco
4. Grab the Cyprus resource.

A lot of these will require invasions, and more than one will probably require German assistance.

Now, I'm used to playing with Limited Overseas Supply, so I tend to ignore Malta directly and instead focus on blasting convoy points and Transports that make it into the Med. If you're not, you'll probably have to invade it, on the 3rd impulse if possible. Note however, that you can't really stop the British from reinforcing it with someone, at which point your division assaults will be more or less meaningless.If he does that, get revenge by sinking his TRS with a port strike on the surprise impulse using the Gabbiano. (or at least trying)

Cyprus is nice, but honestly can probably wait, it's easy to knock out of supply, so whenever you have a minute, send an inf division to overrun Famagusta.

The western med gets a lot easier depending on what the French drew for their territorials. Generally though, you should be able to overrun Tunisia with your territorials, but Algeria is a tough nut to crack even if it's only defended by one unit. Due to the scarcity of ports, going past Algeria is going to require a HQ, so will probably have to wait until after Metropolitan France falls. Deployment wise, this means that I'd put my fastest territorial in hex 0605, and everyone else in the eastern reaches of Libya, right up at the border in Bardia.

If you are having to wait, the M.O. should be something like this: Overrun Bone if you can with the territorial. If you can't use a division to invade Oran, he probably won't be able to cover both. Once you have a port, ship in a few German Corps, and have them march on Algiers. Once you have that, ship in a HQ and start your walk to Rabat.

Now, the CW only starts with Wavell and 2 weak territorials in Egypt, but don't get complacent, they can reinforce that garrison and they probably will, fast. If, however, they don't put anyone in on the first impulse (Say they were reinforcing Malta instead) you can sometimes do an end run by breaking down your mountain inf into a MTN div and a Mot Div, and then using the mtn div to invade at Port Said on the surprise impulse. He should be able to make it through, and if Wavell doesn't counterattack and risk DSB and a relatively low odds attack, you can ship in your mech and mot the next impulse on a combined, and then march out with some fast guys for Suez.

If you don't get that end run to work, you'll probably need German help in the form of planes, or wait all the way until the Japanese enter the war so they can knock out the Red Sea supply route.

Your first turn builds are pretty hampered, given that you'll probably use the Romanian oil for reorg, won't have taken either Cyprus or Algeria yet; leaving you with a grand total of 2 BP. Internal jury is out as to whether to start a trans, to start a pilot or a nav, or just to save the BP. (I'm used to playing with Factories in Flames, which gives you a lot more flexibility, sorry :( )

Either way, stay flexible, and look for opportunities. You're not strong enough to overcome organized resistance, so look for gaps in the deployment; the CW is stretched enough that there will be some, and hit there. You will want another transport reasonably soon, the Germans will start wanting to send troops into the Med, and that means you have to haul them about.

Dealing with France.
Once you've knocked out Belgium (should be early in M/A 40), you'll have 10 hexes of border with the French. Some of them face the Maginot line, and while you probably will have trouble breaching head on, Metz or Strassburg can sometimes be taken by assiduous use of artillery and the engineer. Keep an eye out, since the French probably can't afford to garrison those hexes to the same strength that they will in the north.

In the North, mass your armor, and look for blitzes; it's surprisingly possible to knock a few sections of the French army out of supply. But most of all, use your air power. By M/A, you'll have your Para, an ATR to service him, and you should have something like 6 active FTR2, 2 active FTR3, 5 LND2, and 3 Lnd3. Bomb the French with impunity, using groundstrikes to paralyze the defense while your armor punches through. You will probably need to use an O-Chit at some point, and if you start your general attack in M/A, I'd go land; if you wait till M/J, I'd use it to launch a mega-groundstrike wave on an air. Either way, if you're going for full conquest, the important part is to stay out of France and avoid increasing their production until you're ready for an overwhelming strike, following by a blast of killing as many French units as possible. You'll want to destroy about 75% of them with your strike by turn's end. Downgrade to retreat and avoid letting units escape to the production tract.

To get the air units mentioned above, N/D should have you build a Lnd 2 (scrap any HS-123 in the force pool, and if you were lucky enough to draw all three eligible stukas in your initial draft, power to you, build a CVP instead so that you can build 2 Lnd2 when J/F 40 rolls around. Build another 4 pilots in N/D 39, and then slack off a bit on the pilots, as you warm up production tracts in M/A 40 for those juicy LND 3. (you will want the FTR2, but they can wait a *little* while, your initial air advantage will be enough that you can let it slide just a bit if you're not planning on a sealion.)

Early 40, you'll also want to build Rommel, Gustav/Dora, maybe a second field gun. By the middle of the year you'll want a synth plant or two, and towards the end I'd work on another O-chit. Throughout the year you'll probably want 1-2 pilots and 2-3 planes a turn. Focus on LND, you'll need them to crack the Pyranees. Later in the year (assuming you'll get to Gibraltar by mid-late 41) you'll want to build the two Condors, to help you clear Cape St Vincent. Don't get your ENG killed, or you won't be able to repair the factories you capture, which you'll need to keep production up.

It's okay to start your attack on Spain a little piecemeal, there aren't any production bonuses involved, and you win by stretching the Spanish out, so even little bulges you can't break through with will be helpful. The Italians can open a second front by invading around Cartagena or Almeria, letting one of you make an end run for Madrid. Still, it'll probably take a little while to get through. Not a lot of real tricks, just use overwhelming air power to bludgeon your way past.

Assaulting Gibraltar
I'll admit, with the combination of DSB and no LOS, taking Gibraltar looks dicey. IF he masses his fleet in Cape St Vincent, you're going to have a hard time digging them out. If he puts in the 7-3 reserve and the Montreal Mil, that's 12 factors, doubled for mountain, doubled again with his de-facto infinite Shore Bombardmutent if you can't chase his battleships off. You can get the Italian fleet to give you some SB of your own, and put big guns in Tangier and hex 2413, so you can use a spate of ground support with them. You'll probably need an O-Chit to break through though. In the meantime, your spare units (since you won't need a lot of land corps for this operation) should be filtering up through Poland, and flooding through Egypt if you haven't taken it already. There's not a lot of defensive terrain there, so you should be able to punch through with 2 Armored Corps and some supporting inf.

I'd continue more, and in greater detail, but it's getting late and I can (and probably will) elaborate on this later.

Hoping this was somewhat helpful,
Ur_Vile_Wedge.

This is all very useful, but I should note a few things. Take a look at the Optionals I posted:

I don't need my ENG for the factories. I'm not playing with Construction Engineers. I fully intend to aligne Yugoslavia to Italy, as well as Iraq later, in order to bolster their production and oil. Also, you talk about attacking some of the Low Countries in early to mid-1940. When I said aggressive Axis, I meant it. Weather permitting, they'll all be toast by the end of '39.

I'm going to try to get my screens to work well now, and I'll post the initial units for each nation as soon as I can.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 17
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 3:32:34 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

This is all very useful, but I should note a few things. Take a look at the Optionals I posted:

I don't need my ENG for the factories. I'm not playing with Construction Engineers. I fully intend to aligne Yugoslavia to Italy, as well as Iraq later, in order to bolster their production and oil. Also, you talk about attacking some of the Low Countries in early to mid-1940. When I said aggressive Axis, I meant it. Weather permitting, they'll all be toast by the end of '39.

I'm going to try to get my screens to work well now, and I'll post the initial units for each nation as soon as I can.

If that's what you want to try, power to you, but I'd be *very* careful. You're really going to run up on Italy's transport capacity if you want to attack Greece through Albania, slam through North Africa, ship someone over to Kuwait to align Iraq and Iran, and hold the possibility of a second front in Spain.

One trick that might help you, if you're willing to support the secondary territorial claims after Bessarabia, is to align Bulgaria in J/F 1940. That'll let you have both the 4-3 and the 3-3 inf able to leave the country by M/J 40, and while they're not all that strong, they can open a second front in Greece and prevent him from just sticking his MTN up against the border and bogging you down.

If you really want to attack the Low Countries on the first turn, you might want to consider just sticking a tiny screening force against Poland, the 3 Garr or so, and then mopping her up with reserves. Still, it's risky. If you want to flank the Dyle, you need to go Axis Impulse, (poland) Allied Impulse, Axis Impulse (Netherlands) Allied Impulse, Axis Impulse (Belgium), and then have some follow up time to actually hit France. One impulse of bad weather can scuttle the entire plan, because you have a 40% chance of it pushing up the time track 2 places an impulse, and all the bad weather in S/O are high values, so once you start getting bad weather, it starts to stay bad.

And that's if the CW does *nothing* to bog you down. While he technically sets up before Germany, since all of his troops in the UK are going to be sitting in Ports where they can go basically anywhere, he de facto gets to see what you're up to before he has to commit. Suppose you attack the Netherlands on the third impulse, and he sets up the one inf in hex with the resource. You'll smash the lone inf of course, but you can't advance into either of the cities, even on a breakthrough. Then on the allied impulse, he takes a combined, and stuffs both of his MOT into Rotterdam, or reorganized the London Mil on his first impulse with Gort and ships that Mil and a convenient Territorial into the city. Even the latter option is likely to produce 14 factors in defense with DSB and you can only attack the city from 2 hexes, and both of those are rivers. You'll have to assault as it's a city, and the odds of you being able to stay face up after all that? Not so great.

Then you'll need more troops to really overrun Belgium, which means you're probably leaving the Poles open. You might not capture the 2 Polish resources, and if you really build the hammer up in the west, you might leave them open to do annoying things like grab that border resource run back into Poland, or march on Czechoslovakia.

Now, any of these problems can be overcome, but overcoming all of them at once? It's tough. Personally, I think you're being a little too optimistic with how much you can grab and how quickly you can grab it.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 18
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 4:56:06 PM   
Centuur

Now, if I'm playing Germany (and with the Japanese I'll do the same thing), I tend to take into account the setup of the allies. It usually gives the Axis a lot of information of what's to be expected in the first turn. How are the French HQ's placed on the map, where is Zhukov with the Siberians, where is the Russian European Army, how is the deployment of the CW and French fleets.
Where are the CW TRS (very important question, since this gives away a lot of the first turn moves of CW land units...).
Will the Italians be capable of making a nice surprise invasion in the first turn, if they declare war (Malta, Syria/Egypt or even Gibraltar, how unlikely it may sound, because I've yet to meet a CW player who doesn't put a corps there at setup...), or not.
German and Japanese spies are everywhere in those weak democratic and foul communist countries, so use them and make you're setup, using the information they are giving you.

The position of the German Fleet for example, isn't Kiel if the CW can port attack Kiel in the surprise impulse. If the French fleet is capable to enter the Baltic Sea with a meaningful force, don't set the German CP into the Baltic, but wait until Copenhagen is yours. A strong Russian set up directed at Persia, usually means that Japan needs to asses his reaction on that: going to war or not (and when playing Japan, I always go to war if the USSR enters Persia. I want to sent my units and capture those precious oil. Even if this means a stalemate in China and a war in Manchuria/Siberia. For the Japanese OIL is everything...).

Even when setting up the Italians, I usually don't want the Allies to know what my intensions are. So I'll never put a lot of units in Albania and I'll tend to spread out the units in Libya/Italian East Africa so that they can go both into French and CW territories.

Now, when playing the Allies, the other thing is also true: when making decisions on what you're going to do the first turn (especially when playing the USSR), you should take into account what the reaction might be on the Axis side...

Now, there is also something else to take into account. Don't forget you can set up naval units at sea at start.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/5/2011 5:01:07 PM >

Peter

Post #: 19
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 5:43:06 PM   
brian brian

If the Intelligence rules won't be part of MWiF At-Start, for the perfectly good reason that it would be an extra programming mega-challenge to include an ability to spend Intell points in just about every single phase of the game, perhaps the word Intelligence could be removed from the list of options on-screen...

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 20
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 6:29:01 PM   
Red Prince

I've had another setback -- the compuer I bought yetsterday was unacceptable, so I had to trade it in for another one today. That means I have to re-download a ton of files again. This is becoming very exhausting -- not to mention expensive. I did promise to give you a rundown on what units would be available, but at best that will be several hours from now, as I have to reset all parameters . . . plus, I have to re-download:

All MWiF related files that weren't lost
Filezilla
Hypersnap
Paint.NET
World of Tanks (for stress relief)
MTL Spreadsheets
Unit Master Files
The entire directory of screenshots (250+) for the Players Manual

and I'm going to have to go through several days worth of bug reports to try to catch up and reconstruct much of the two new PDF documents I was in the middle of creating.

And I also have to get used to this new computer and Win 7 (I have been using XP for close to a decade).

Here are my new computer specs:

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Intel(R) Core (TM) : 7-2630QM CPU @ 2GHz (8 CPUs)~2.0GHz
8192 MB RAM
DirextX 11
750 GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 4063MB
Display 1920 x 1080 (32-bit) (60Hz)

Not to mention that because this has a separate numeric pad, all of the keys are in different places than I have beome accustomed.

Long story short, one of my top priorities is to get MWiF downloaded so I can star this thread up for real, but it's going to take time.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 21
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 7:07:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Aaron,

Sorry to hear the gods of hardware have been wearing so hard on you.

On the plus side, your new system looks capable of keeping you warm on those cold Maine winter evenings.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 22
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/5/2011 10:30:03 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Aaron,

Sorry to hear the gods of hardware have been wearing so hard on you.

On the plus side, your new system looks capable of keeping you warm on those cold Maine winter evenings.

Yeah, but my new system, being designed for ultra-intensive gaming, is keeping itself very cool indeed. It is a killer system, though. If I could just figure out everything I need to try to recover.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 23
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/7/2011 12:07:11 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Now, there is also something else to take into account. Don't forget you can set up naval units at sea at start.

Only as Japan. Nobody else is at war yet.

I can't remember who mentioned it, but I'm aware that my plans are far-fetched. The thing is, I spent 2 1/2 months working on that game to get to the point where I was, working on average 1-2 hours a day. It was creating some interesting questions that I never had a chance to answer:

Could Germany crack Gibraltar and still get back in time for a late '41 Barb?
Could Germany "sneak" the troops over into the USSR by the southern route?
Could Japan actually break China and still be ready to fight the USA?
With such an early War Appropriations Bill, how dangerous would the USA actually end up being?
And, the key, how easily could the Med be closed?

Far-fetched, perhaps, but it did work once, and this is beta-testing, after all. That means attempting the ridiculous. In one game, I had Italy in control of the Carribean and prepared to invade the USA. This is what we do. I'm just frustrated because all the notes I had explaining how to do all of this are gone, and I have to think them all up again.

-Aaron

So, I'm going to start by giving you a view of the MWiF world of S/O '39:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 11/7/2011 12:13:03 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 24
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/7/2011 7:10:46 PM   
micheljq

I like AARs.  

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 25
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/7/2011 8:42:28 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

I like AARs.  

Who doesn't...

Peter

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 26
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/7/2011 9:13:45 PM   
Red Prince

Well, I'm working on setting it up right now, and I'm taking screenshots of the scrap lists -- so you can see what I chose to do. Having discovered how to use 2 screens, I may manage to take some more pics of the actual setups (which you can scrutinize -- and through the magic of some special tools I have, I can adjust). My setups are bound to be a little haphazard, since I'm still struggling emotionally with the loss of so much data, but I'll do my best to make this AAR as fun for you as it is for me.

-Aaron

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 27
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/7/2011 10:06:57 PM   
Red Prince

Something I forgot to mention, is that I'll be using as many of Peter's AIO setups as possible for minors getting attacked, based on how I see the situation (just so you don't think I'm stacking the cards).

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 28
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/8/2011 8:20:20 AM   
Red Prince

While I didn't show you my USA, USSR, or Italian setups (because they span a lot more of the globe), this here is my Chinese setup. Patrice would hate it because it is so far forward, but I couldn't locate one from Peter, and so I used a combination of Steve's original and my own tastes (which are not always wise):
-----
Edit: Oh, forgot -- there as an Oil behind the FTR (yeah, I know), and an AT behind the 4-2 MIL.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 11/8/2011 8:22:27 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 29
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 11/8/2011 8:25:19 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

I like AARs.  

Who doesn't...

I suppose this should be called either a DAR or a PAR . . . (during action report . . . pre-action report).

Personally, I prefer PAR (for the course)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI