Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shatter or Retreat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Shatter or Retreat? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shatter or Retreat? - 11/24/2013 6:47:00 AM   
Gizuria

One of the features of this game I'd forgotten about and have rediscovered is that the CRT sometimes presents the attacker with the option to shatter the defending units, removing from the board for the remainder of that turn, or to leave them on the board but retreat them a couple of hexes. I've been shattering them for the most part in my current Barbarossa game and have nearly eliminated the entire Russian OB in my first turn. But I know they will return in turn 2 which means I'll have to get smarter at destroying units as I play.

Do you guys shatter or retreat?
Post #: 1
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/24/2013 6:55:22 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Depends. How easily can I advance through the hole I make if I shatter, and how easily can I kill the units left on the map if I retreat.

Although, all other things being equal, if it's the first turn of Barbarossa, I want a high body count; you still have J/A for lots of rapid advance, and if you wipe out the army, he won't be able to stop you with his reserves and his mil.

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 2
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/24/2013 1:54:27 PM   
brian brian

It is difficult to remember the option to retreat the defender, for me. Probably on the computer where the attacker has to choose on-screen each time that would be less of a problem. Don't forget when making the choice that the attacker selects where the defender retreats. Selecting retreat can frequently give the attacker a chance to eliminate the defending units in a second attack, sending them to the force pool rather than just re-appearing the next turn. Each combat is a choice to make in this regard.

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 3
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/24/2013 7:28:18 PM   
paulderynck

Given the retreat priorities in the rules, it is quite seldom that a player can really capitalize.

Paul

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 4
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/25/2013 3:38:06 AM   
Dabrion

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Given the retreat priorities in the rules, it is quite seldom that a player can really capitalize.

True, this happens seldomly. Its more likely for fully stacked hex, and for these you need more hex to attack in the first place. No you either have straight front, in that case exploiting gap and force advantage of the shatter usually meets your tactical objective better. Or you have the hex encircled, so that retreats are not feasible.

I can see two good cases:
1) retreat units out of a city/def-terrain into a clear hex, where they cannot get away immediately
2) retreat adjacent to a land attack that follows in the same phase can lead to a breakthrough result and will allow you to overrun the retreated stack.

Both are highly situational and/or need a considerable amount of planning/assets.

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 11/25/2013 4:39:19 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/25/2013 6:11:17 PM   
chuxdecator

What if there is no allowable place for the defeated unit to retreat into? Wouldn't you want to choose retreat instead of shatter and this would destroy the unit(s) not shatter them.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 6
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/25/2013 6:20:31 PM   
comsolut

Worked that way for me in Barbarossa, so selected retreat to destroy the unit when isolated.

(in reply to chuxdecator)
Post #: 7
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/25/2013 6:29:39 PM   
Centuur

A shattered unit is destroyed if it couldn't retreat... From RAW:

If the result includes an ‘S’ (shatter) or a ‘B’ (breakthrough), put each
surviving defending land unit on the production circle if it could have
retreated. These units will arrive as reinforcements next turn. Destroy
any units that could not have retreated.

So you don't have to change a shattered result into a retreat to destroy units that can't retreat...

Peter

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 8
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/26/2013 10:05:30 PM   
hazmaxed

As a general practice, I think it's better to shatter units if it is during the early impulses of a turn. That way the shattered units don't interfere with your advance on later impulses of the same turn.

If it is a late impulse and the turn is likely to end, I think it is better to retreat the units. That way your opponent cannot place the unit on some other area of the map, possibly to his advantage, as he could if it were a returning shattered unit.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 9
RE: Shatter or Retreat? - 11/26/2013 10:52:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed

As a general practice, I think it's better to shatter units if it is during the early impulses of a turn. That way the shattered units don't interfere with your advance on later impulses of the same turn.

If it is a late impulse and the turn is likely to end, I think it is better to retreat the units. That way your opponent cannot place the unit on some other area of the map, possibly to his advantage, as he could if it were a returning shattered unit.

Very nice! I'll use this for the AI Opponent.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Shatter or Retreat? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI