Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WC 2003: Squirmer (SO) vs. Scharfschütze (GE)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> WC 2003: Squirmer (SO) vs. Scharfschütze (GE) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WC 2003: Squirmer (SO) vs. Scharfschütze (GE) - 2/19/2003 3:57:12 AM   
Scharfschütze

5000 points large map, Vis 33 6/41, 1 Air Sec each

A classical Barbarossa setting...

The game starts with two Bf-110d bombing the soviet lines and some smoke by the russkie artillery. The drone of engines fills the summer air.

Soon, the barking of MGs and the sharp crack of AT fire will join in...
Post #: 1
- 2/19/2003 4:57:49 AM   
Squirmer

The evil Nazi planes destroyed a Komsomolets tractor! Also its ATG passenger unfortunately.

Now after turn 2 we have taken the south and central VHs (end of battle ones). Germans are somewhat puzzling by their absence, can only see a single Pz III and nowt else.

However, 75mm off-board has started falling on a strategic hill in the south, must portend summat ... :)

(in reply to Scharfschütze)
Post #: 2
- 2/19/2003 5:26:11 AM   
Scharfschütze

The enemy is advancing all along the line. Until we opened fire, that is... some two platoons of cossacks were charging in the south, and were absolutely helpless when our Panzers started MGing them in the open... :p

Tentative ATG fire claimed a BT-7m, whose crew bailed out, and sheared the cannon of a KV-1 monster. Lucky shot from a 50mm!

With the motorcycle scouts also in disarray, and more fire falling all across the line, methinks we got the commies busy!

Post #: 3
- 2/19/2003 7:38:43 AM   
Squirmer

An accurate description, Cossacks caught in the open don't do too well. Hidden 50mm ATGs (one of my faves too) are not unexpected, hopefully smoke will render them ineffective.

It looks like we will soon add the northern VHs to our collection FWIW.

All round seems like a tricksy game is in prospect ... :)

Post #: 4
- 2/19/2003 8:41:33 AM   
Scharfschütze

The company-sized force of Cossacks in the south is in full flight now. Dead cavalrymen and shot-up horses litter the woods and flats here.

PaK fire is inconclusive. 20+ hexes isn´t optimum engagement range against KVs, still many shots miss despite promising %.

But there are other ways to bring down the Big Ones, and quite literally so: Our 105mm shelling collapsed a wooden bridge near the central VHs, just as a KV-1a(40), the best the enemy can throw at us, passed over it.

:eek: :D :eek:

Post #: 5
- 2/19/2003 8:27:55 PM   
Squirmer

Yep for some reason I thought collapsing bridges over streams wouldn't take their traffic with them. You live and learn ...

Post #: 6
- 2/20/2003 12:05:04 AM   
rbrunsman

Oh, that's gotta hurt! WC is a bad place to learn that kind of lesson.

(Ski troop suck! = my WC lesson):D

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

Post #: 7
Turn 4 - 2/20/2003 2:42:28 AM   
Squirmer

Apart from the horse butchery down south not much going on right now. Lost another BT-7M to the extremely hard to spot PaK38s. First German loss is a recon patrol in the same region.

Losses so far:

GE - 1 Recon Patrol
SO - I KV-1, 2 BT-7Ms, 1 Komsomolets, 1 76mm ATG, 1 Motorcycle squad

A few Cossack squads are going to join the list pretty soon.

Ruskies are definitely losing the attrition battle at the moment. Only hope is I probably had 3 times as much stuff to begin with ...

Post #: 8
- 2/20/2003 3:16:29 AM   
dodger

Rbrunsman, I resent your remark about ski troops :)

-Jani

ALL YOUR FLAGS ARE BELONG TO US!

Post #: 9
- 2/20/2003 3:46:41 AM   
Scharfschütze

The Cossacks took quite a beating in the south. A real turkey shoot!

Even more are coming in the north. Time to prepare a warm welcome for these, too. The KVs tried to interdict some Panzer movement, but their fire is rather... erratic a long range. Just to spite them a little, I ripped off a little with my 2cm guns...

The enemy has started firing the big guns at an innocent village. If you continue shelling, you´ll ruin a few peasant´s hovels!;)

Post #: 10
Turn 5 - 2/20/2003 6:49:05 AM   
Squirmer

It is very prudent of the Germans to stock up on horsemeat for the winter ... :P

Slow turn, not much happening except destruction of another GE recon patrol.

There are an awful lot of Pz IIs about. I don't know if this because it's realistic or something to do with the fact that they are very good at eating my infantry alive. We shall see :)

Post #: 11
- 2/23/2003 9:04:10 PM   
Scharfschütze

If you are wondering why I am not responding for the last few days, I am currently experiencing hardware problems, which won´t be solved until at least Wednesday. Then more!

Post #: 12
- 2/28/2003 3:24:35 AM   
Scharfschütze

Playing from the move...I disabled one KV´s suspension and sacked some Cossacks.

Encountererd a platoon (at least) of T-34s, at last. I had been worrying where these were hiding.

Mental note: Don´t play WC drunk! :D:eek: :D

Post #: 13
- 2/28/2003 6:42:11 AM   
VikingNo2

Squirmer, the Guy with the long name is a heck of an opponent:D

Post #: 14
- 2/28/2003 7:30:45 AM   
Squirmer

Despite the Germans being drunk they still manage to continue their equine genocide campaign ... T-34s are trying to blunt the charge but have only managed to damage a couple of tanks so far.

Still up in the air at the moment. Commies hold north and central VHs, Nazis have the south. Suspect central area is next on the list for German attention ...

Post #: 15
Back to the front! - 3/13/2003 9:56:06 PM   
Scharfschütze

Quite sober, we continue to pick at the commies.

More cossacks die, while a T-34 and a KV suffer damage to their suspensions, with the T-34 being effectively immobilized by a very lucky arty shell. The Nebelwerfers strike all along the line, and actually hit something, too!

An engagement in the north between BT-7Ms and my Pz-IIf´s is indecisive, but should stall the russian advance in that sector somewhat.

Post #: 16
Turn 7 - 3/14/2003 3:00:29 AM   
Squirmer

The "engagement" in the north involved about 10 Pz-IIs shooting at my BT-7s, expending 100s of 20mm rounds several of which hit. The brave Russian response - 1 opfire. On the plus side my tanks survived and have run off under computer control into the woods to recover.

This turn was pretty quiet. Lost a T-34 to a side hit from a Pz III. I knew it was there too ... Silly boy :)

Other than that just trying to get rid of some of the pesky Recon Patrols.

Post #: 17
- 3/14/2003 3:50:38 AM   
Scharfschütze

Another rough turn on the cossacks and motorcyclists- at least a score lie dead. I especially liked the bikers that laid a smokescreen 4 hexes long and detonated a few mines soviet engineers had placed on a certain bridge. :D

In the north, the remaining BT-7 holds out, despite my best efforts. He´ll run off soon, though.

The enemy appears to be falling back into a more defensible position...or at least away from the areas the 105mm´s were shelling. We´ll see what good it does...

:p

Post #: 18
Turn 8 - 3/14/2003 4:47:59 AM   
Squirmer

Yeehaa we killed a tank! An evil horse-murdering Pz-II to be precise. Also a truck lurking in the woods in the far north.

We are retreating to "more defensible" positions because the blooming Germans are pushing us there ... ;)

If the silly drunken bikers who revealed the minefield were still alive they would be shot. :mad:

Post #: 19
- 3/14/2003 5:34:34 PM   
Scharfschütze

Another good turn.

Though we later lost a FJ squad to continous 152mm shelling, we smashed the enemy defences in the south, destroying two T-34s and disabling a KV. The massacring of cossacks and bikers alike continues all over the front.

I think we have made a decent dent in the enemies defences!

Post #: 20
Turn 9 - 3/15/2003 2:21:22 AM   
Squirmer

Yes we are definitely dented.

My turns are so short there's little to report ... Oh, I pressed the R key a few times ;)

152mm shelling was a small success, however the battery now seems to be vodka break ...

Post #: 21
- 3/15/2003 3:42:59 AM   
Scharfschütze

My arty crews had been helping themselves to some Schnaps right until now themselves. But now they are back with renewed enthusiasm, and raining all hell down on the central hill where an immbolized KV was deserted by its platoon mates. Nearby bikers are dispersed, and we spot some SMG infantry in the woods slightly to the north.

Past the destroyed T-34s sweeps the fully fury of my armoured spearhead, claiming three more cossack squads. The last two surrendered after a withering hail of fire at close range. Another T-34 is lurking nearby (from a platoon of three, I presume?), so we cover ourselves with more smoke.

A Pz-II takes a fatal hit from a well-positioned BT-7M in the north, the commies are trying a comeback there...:rolleyes:

All in all, good progress, and I do hope that the horrendous losses inflicted on the enemy mobile troops are beginning to tell. There are still a number of KVs at large, as are the engineers that mined the bridge.

Post #: 22
Turn 10 - 3/15/2003 5:57:51 AM   
Squirmer

There are a lot of horses in Russia ... :)

I was just sitting back and congratulating myself on a relatively good turn, having despatched another Pz II and a PaK 38 for no loss when the Nebelwerfer bombardment arrived. Ouch!

The Germans are getting close to my rear VHs now :( We still hold the north and central ones but for how long?

Post #: 23
- 3/15/2003 5:51:10 PM   
Scharfschütze

There are a lot of horses in Russia because they need them. I destroy maybe 2-4 squads of cossacks per turn, for quite some time now, but more are coming. Guess I´ll have to machinegun them all...

Lost another Pz-II in the north after a stuoid move. You don´t retreat away from a 1-man scout team to roll into the LOS of a waiting BT-7!

Near the centre, I finally kill the crew of the KV that has been marooned on the central hill for so long. Its partner, which had rolled to the rescue, was also brought down. My breakthrough further south, and quite some way to the east :p is progressing nicely, though the commies have begun to drop 120mm mortar shells all around. Seems they phoned HQ for a lot of arty support: At least a btn of 76,2mm guns is dropping shells all along the line, and the 152mms are back into action again. We retaliate with our 105´s, doing a damage in both beaten zones. An unlucky T-34 goes up in flames when a vulnerable location hit penetrates its side armour:eek:

Post #: 24
Turn 11 - 3/15/2003 7:35:26 PM   
Squirmer

Yes for one turn I had all my batteries in contact. Back to the normal slackness this turn however ...

Virtually nothing happened again. Wiped out a Recon Patrol with a lovely DsHK and spent a couple of sad minutes admiring the burnt-out hulks of 4 dead Pz IIs ... :)

Post #: 25
- 3/15/2003 11:00:42 PM   
Scharfschütze

My spearhead going for Squirmer´s rear VHs was momentarily halted when the lead elements encountered two SU-37s. I have never seen them in combat before, and took a quick peek in the encyclopedia. Summary: Experimental SP-AT, one prototype built, paper-thin armour, old-style 37mm gun.

The armour concept proved remarkably efficient though: Even MGs can penetrate it, but it apparantly offers to little resistance for shells to detonate. Passing right through the thing, my hail of 50mm AP failed to kill the **** things, though both were heavily damaged and are no longer a threat (if they ever were one).

A nearby 76,2mm ATG is dispatched, and a Rifle Squad is sent fleeing.

Unsurprisingly, some cossacks were killed.;)

Enemy light artillery is continuing the barrage, and I´ve sent a few more 21cm rockets after enemy infantry concentrations, scoring a solid hit with one:p

Post #: 26
Turn 12 - 3/16/2003 1:21:11 AM   
Squirmer

SU-37s are explained by those last few points when purchasing. They have proved useless but there you go.

I finally managed to kill a Pz III this turn. First KV shot that hit something all game. Also lost a BT-7 to a PaK38 which I had forgotten about, grr.

The German Blitzkrieg continues to grind slowly forward ...

Post #: 27
- 3/16/2003 2:20:43 AM   
Scharfschütze

We are punishing the enemy in all sectors.

The north sees the demise of two BT-7Ms, one destroyed and the other rendered combat ineffective. Light damage to the attacking Pz-IIc/fs.

In the centre, a forward KV makes close contact with a Panzerwurfmine. The shaped charge blew it part, no crew survived the blast. Following up, a combined arms assault drives the soviet infantry concentrated around the central VHs back with many casualities among the commies, and right under our 105mm barrage. Only the first round of HE falls a little short and kills an unlucky Fallschirmjäger, the rest detonates nicely among the packed russkies.

Our breakthrough force makes short work of the bailed-out SU-37 crews, and continues its march over the broken bodies of nearby infantry.

Post #: 28
Turn 13 - 3/16/2003 4:32:40 AM   
Squirmer

I have to compliment Scharfschutze on his artillery, which has been decisive. Very accurate, even Nebelwerfers. Ouch.

I should have done this earlier but I finally tried some counter-battery this turn. Very successful by the casualty reports. Probably only 75mm FHs though.

Looks like we will lose the central and "home" VHs shortly. We will fight on though whilst there is any small hope of a counter-attack.

Oh and got another Pz III which was nice :)

Post #: 29
- 3/16/2003 5:53:18 AM   
Scharfschütze

Thanks for the compliment. I´ve always felt that artillery targetting was my forte, though I must say that my 105´s have a tendency to drop the first couple of rounds a little short.

Anyway, we make progress where we aren´t necessarily counting on it. Maneuvering for a better position to shoot up the inevitable cossacks in the north we are drawn into a firefight with dug-in BT-7 tanks. Pulling more and more assets into the fight, we destroy two and damage another. This might well prove to have decisively weakened the enemy forces in that sector. Progress in the centre and east :p is sluggish, we do some mopping up and let the artillery have another go...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> WC 2003: Squirmer (SO) vs. Scharfschütze (GE) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI