Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, 2004 -- new beta for testing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, 2004 -- new beta for testing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, 2004... - 12/12/2015 4:21:03 AM   
Mgellis

Here is my newest beta, another tutorial scenario that I hope will help new players gain experience with Command. Take out terrorist safe houses in Pakistan and get away with it!

As always, please feel free to offer suggestions, comments, observations, feedback, etc., both about the scenario in general and about it as a tutorial. How is the gameplay? Are the events working properly? Do the orders and the various messages make sense, help people figure out what they have to do, etc.?

Thanks!

[version 2 uploaded 11:30 AM EST 12/18/15]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 12/18/2015 4:32:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/12/2015 5:33:49 AM   
nukkxx5058

Cool ! I'm currently playing (and enjoying) your first tutorial so I still have time before trying this one. But I really appreciate the effort.
Can't wait ! :-)
Thanks

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/12/2015 10:49:31 AM   
Gunner98

Nice little scenario, all working well I think. Took a second strike to take out the southern safe house, F-16's gunning down the TLAMs.  Two very minor comments:

-The jargon for an OPERATIONAL COMMANDER would be 'High Value Target' (HVT), or more informally a 'Jackpot' target. HVP (High value personality) did not come along until later.

-To put a bit of tension in the scenario you may wish to mention the new Agosta subs the PAK Navy was acquiring at the time.  Then add in a false contact or two, or maybe even one of the subs.

Thanks for that.

B

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 3
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/12/2015 10:55:06 AM   
Gunner98

One other thought.  It took me 7 TLAMs to take out the targets, kind of sloppy on my part. 2 each on first strike and 3 out of that 4 were shot down.  2nd strike I fired 3 just to be sure, and #2 & #3 plowed into a smoking hole in a residential area.  If you were to add a point cost to each missile fired, the player would need to be a little more conservative with his ammo.  Perhaps too much for a tutorial though.

B

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/12/2015 5:01:10 PM   
Mgellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

If you were to add a point cost to each missile fired, the player would need to be a little more conservative with his ammo. 

Is there a way to do this?

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/12/2015 5:41:21 PM   
Gunner98

Thought there was but now checking it doesn't seem to be enabled. Was thinking 'Unit is destroyed' 'weapon' trigger. Also tried 'unit enters area' but same thing.

I suppose that in this case, it is only likely that the TLAMs will be fired so it might work. Problem is if you fire any other weapons it would also trigger.

B

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 6
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/14/2015 9:06:37 AM   
AlexGGGG

Fine but no penalty for stray TLAM hitting Pakistani house?

SIDE: United States
LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x RQ-1B Predator UAV

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
12x UGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM

SIDE: Pakistan
LOSSES:
1x Building (Medium) <-- this one

SIDE: Terrorists
LOSSES:
-------------------------------
2x Building (Small)

< Message edited by AlexGGGG -- 12/14/2015 10:12:36 AM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/17/2015 1:03:38 PM   
nukkxx5058

Arf :-(
First attempt, none of my Tomahawks managed to pass, all been downed :-)
Trying again ... ;-)

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 8
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/18/2015 6:29:31 AM   
nukkxx5058

OK so it's a very interesting scenario. But each time some unseen airplane(s) is/are destroying my missiles with AIM9 and more strangely to me ... 20 mm guns (Gun (20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]) is attacking UGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM ).

The scenario suggests that this should happen and that I should try to fire my missiles from another location. But where from ? And i just have 15 hours to do it.

I would appreciate if someone could give an explanation of the strategy to follow to manage the mission with a minimum amount of missiles fired.

There's also another thing which isn't clear. The scenario text says:
"Vulture #1 has to fly over Bannu until you observe activity that lets you confirm the terrorists are in town, at which point the safe house is identified as a legitimate target."

But in fact when I activate vulture's radar I nearly immediately locate the two houses (from Afghanistan, even before entering Pakistan)and can attack them with my sub. This seems to contradict the above text.

I also have many questions about firing a missile over another country, like Iran, or simply entering their national waters ... but I guess the scenario doesn't take this into account ?

Comments welcomed :-)
Thanks

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 12/18/2015 7:30:37 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/18/2015 2:21:06 PM   
Mgellis

Yes, the easiest way to win is to move the submarine to a new location. Pakistan still has some defenses, but is less likely to stop all the missiles this way. As for where...you have to figure that out. (It says so in the briefing...but I may need to add additional comments.)

Firing missiles over Iran? For a tutorial, I did not bother setting up Iran, so yes, you could do it, unless you want to include that constraint yourself.

As for the drone, if it can spot the houses earlier, that's fine. I may rewrite the orders to reflect that. I may also put in something that will respond...badly...to the drone doing this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

OK so it's a very interesting scenario. But each time some unseen airplane(s) is/are destroying my missiles with AIM9 and more strangely to me ... 20 mm guns (Gun (20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]) is attacking UGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM ).

The scenario suggests that this should happen and that I should try to fire my missiles from another location. But where from ? And i just have 15 hours to do it.

I would appreciate if someone could give an explanation of the strategy to follow to manage the mission with a minimum amount of missiles fired.

There's also another thing which isn't clear. The scenario text says:
"Vulture #1 has to fly over Bannu until you observe activity that lets you confirm the terrorists are in town, at which point the safe house is identified as a legitimate target."

But in fact when I activate vulture's radar I nearly immediately locate the two houses (from Afghanistan, even before entering Pakistan)and can attack them with my sub. This seems to contradict the above text.

I also have many questions about firing a missile over another country, like Iran, or simply entering their national waters ... but I guess the scenario doesn't take this into account ?

Comments welcomed :-)
Thanks

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 10
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/18/2015 3:33:00 PM   
Mgellis

Version 2 uploaded with a few tweaks and changes. Please let me know what you think, especially in terms of how well it works as a tutorial. Thanks.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 11
RE: Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, ... - 12/21/2015 2:48:28 PM   
Mgellis

Any other thoughts or observations on this one? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Uncle Mark's Tutorials - 6 - Toledo Hits 'Em Hard, 2004 -- new beta for testing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI