Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The "Professor" passed away

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The "Professor" passed away Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The "Professor" passed away - 1/17/2014 5:19:06 PM   
Max 86

Gilligan's Island character "Professor", (Russell Johnson) passed away at age 91.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/television/article/Russell-Johnson-Gilligan-professor-has-died-5149715.php

"He joined the Army Air Corps during World War II and served as a B-24 bombardier on missions over the Pacific war zone, breaking his ankles in 1945 when his plane was shot down over the Philippine island of Mindanao. He was discharged as a first lieutenant in November 1945, having earned a Purple Heart and other medals.

Upon his discharge, Johnson enrolled at the Actors Lab in Hollywood under the GI Bill. Fellow actor Paul Henreid saw him in a play there and landed him a role as a villain in the film "For Men Only." Until "Gilligan's Island," the ruggedly handsome Johnson often played villains."

< Message edited by Max 86 -- 1/17/2014 6:19:40 PM >

No problem Chief!
Post #: 1
RE: The "Professor" passed away - 1/17/2014 5:27:49 PM   
Qwixt

RIP.

I saw Mary Ann on a cooking show over the christmas break. She looked like she is doing great.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 2
RE: The "Professor" passed away - 1/17/2014 6:16:19 PM   
wings7

Russell Johnson was a prolific character actor, I remember him in quite a few television westerns...here is his filmography!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426157/

Patrick

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 3
RE: The "Professor" passed away - 1/17/2014 9:43:33 PM   
WarHunter

Grew up watching Gilligans island. Never knew much about the Professor. Checked up on some info about him during WW2 and found this.
Bombardier in the Pacific war.

The interesting thing is, I've read he was in both the B-24 and B-25, as planes he is alleged to have flown in. Which is it? My money in on the B-25. The 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force was equipped with B-25's.

quote:

"After high school, in the midst of World War II, Johnson joined the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet and was commissioned as a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions as a bombardier in Consolidated B-24 Liberator four-engine heavy bombers. While flying as a navigator in a B-24 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his plane and two other B-24s were shot down over the Philippines in March 1945 during a low level bombing and strafing run against Japanese targets. The planes were hit by intense flak and had to ditch in the waters off the port of Zamboanga. During the ditching, he broke both ankles and the radioman next to him was killed. Johnson earned a Purple Heart for this mission. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three service stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one service star, and the World War II Victory Medal. He was honorably discharged with the rank of first lieutenant on November 22, 1945. He then joined the Army Reserve and used the G.I. Bill to fund his acting studies at the Actors Lab in Hollywood.[1] At acting school, he met actress Kay Levey; they married on July 23, 1949."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Johnson

quote:

Born November 10, 1924, in Ashley, Pennsylvania Russell David "Russ" Johnson joined the Army Air Corps in World War II, and earned the Purple Heart when his B-25 Mitchell twin-engine medium bomber was shot down in the Philippines during a bombing run in March, 1945. He returned stateside and pursued a career in acting where he appeared in a number of westerns and such classic science fiction films as It Came From Other Space (1953) and This Island Earth (1955).

http://www.tvacres.com/char_hinkley_roy.htm

/salute RIP

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 4
RE: The "Professor" passed away - 1/18/2014 9:54:41 PM   
nate25

The Prof could damn near build a nuclear reactor out of some beach sand and coconuts.

But he could never figure out how to patch the boat.

I could never figure that one out...

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The "Professor" passed away Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI