Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CTGW - Why I Bought the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> CTGW - Why I Bought the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 12:31:24 AM   
Connfire

Hi Guys,

New to the CTGW forums. Bought the game during the sale, have been playing the AI as Allies in the little free time I have. Am currently in mid-1915, Italy just joined in, and the Allies are doing very well. I wish I could say I did it without reloading a few saved turns, but I consider the first game more of a learning experience. I'm looking forward testing my mettle as the Central Powers vs. the AI next, before eventually graduating to PBEM. The AI is light years ahead of WPO.

I've been following the CTGW forums for a few months, and having now played the game I pretty much agree with most posts regarding the strengths and weaknesses. That said, having been an avid War Plan Orange (WPO) player for eight years (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) there is one aspect of the game which I really, really like and that is the ongoing support and development of CTGW. I feel like I've bought into a living game, one that is still evolving.

For years I and a few others tried unsuccessfully to get Matrix and 2x3 studios to update WPO. One forumer actually tried to update it to War In the Pacific - Admiral's Edition standards before the designer (current whereabouts unknown) finally emerged onto the forum to tell him he couldn't due to copyright issues. This same forumer basically kept WPO alive for years longer then it should have with incredible new artwork, innovative scenarios and other mods. I always thought it was a shame that he wasn't hired to update WPO, but instead another game studio ended up picking him up.

That forumer, by the way, was Kirk23. As soon as I learned that he was working for Lordz on a WWI-era game and read the reviews I knew I had to buy it - my first new Matrix/Slitherine title in 8 years. And I'm not disappointed. I know the game still has awhile before it reaches its full potential, and I'm sure there will be well-intentioned missteps along the way (like the AI's handling of small garrisons for one). But I'm also just as sure that these will be fixed, and the game will continue to evolve in the right direction.

Knowing Kirk for as long as I have and having seen what he did with WPO with only limited resources, I'm really psyched about what he will do to improve CTGW now that he is with Lordz. I hope I don't sound too much like a gusher or fanboy, but having came on board WPO right about when its developers effectively abandoned it, to actually see positive interaction between Lord Zimoa, Kirk23, and the other forumers is such a refreshing change!

< Message edited by Connfire -- 3/27/2014 1:35:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 8:04:10 AM   
Udet

A very good and encouraging post, Connfire. May the future of CTGW be bright!

Udet

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 2
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 10:03:29 AM   
operating

Noticed the "uptick" in the games' interest, since Kirk's involvement. The interaction between members and the "Powers to be", add to the dimension of the game in a positive way. Many here are inquisitive, from different points of view, which I think makes the game all that more interesting (including the Ruhr).

< Message edited by operating -- 3/27/2014 11:12:40 AM >

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 3
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 12:11:31 PM   
suprass81

Welcome Connfire. Try some games with AI and jump into multiplayer- it is far more interesting ;).
See you on the battlefield!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 4
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 1:52:57 PM   
Udet

Yes, it's always the Ruhr ...

Many players seem to see a great pontential in the game - imo the reason for being so much inquisitive.

Kirk does a splindid but ungrateful job here. He gives uns a better gaming experience and we want more, more, more of it. We are all like Audrey Jr. - Feed me!

Udet

(in reply to suprass81)
Post #: 5
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/27/2014 7:09:54 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Connfire

Hi Guys,

New to the CTGW forums. Bought the game during the sale, have been playing the AI as Allies in the little free time I have. Am currently in mid-1915, Italy just joined in, and the Allies are doing very well. I wish I could say I did it without reloading a few saved turns, but I consider the first game more of a learning experience. I'm looking forward testing my mettle as the Central Powers vs. the AI next, before eventually graduating to PBEM. The AI is light years ahead of WPO.

I've been following the CTGW forums for a few months, and having now played the game I pretty much agree with most posts regarding the strengths and weaknesses. That said, having been an avid War Plan Orange (WPO) player for eight years (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) there is one aspect of the game which I really, really like and that is the ongoing support and development of CTGW. I feel like I've bought into a living game, one that is still evolving.

For years I and a few others tried unsuccessfully to get Matrix and 2x3 studios to update WPO. One forumer actually tried to update it to War In the Pacific - Admiral's Edition standards before the designer (current whereabouts unknown) finally emerged onto the forum to tell him he couldn't due to copyright issues. This same forumer basically kept WPO alive for years longer then it should have with incredible new artwork, innovative scenarios and other mods. I always thought it was a shame that he wasn't hired to update WPO, but instead another game studio ended up picking him up.

That forumer, by the way, was Kirk23. As soon as I learned that he was working for Lordz on a WWI-era game and read the reviews I knew I had to buy it - my first new Matrix/Slitherine title in 8 years. And I'm not disappointed. I know the game still has awhile before it reaches its full potential, and I'm sure there will be well-intentioned missteps along the way (like the AI's handling of small garrisons for one). But I'm also just as sure that these will be fixed, and the game will continue to evolve in the right direction.

Knowing Kirk for as long as I have and having seen what he did with WPO with only limited resources, I'm really psyched about what he will do to improve CTGW now that he is with Lordz. I hope I don't sound too much like a gusher or fanboy, but having came on board WPO right about when its developers effectively abandoned it, to actually see positive interaction between Lord Zimoa, Kirk23, and the other forumers is such a refreshing change!

Hiya Rob, Great to see you here in CTGW land!As you know from the WPO forum, I always try my best to improve things where ever possible,sometimes it might not look like progress is being made,but I think it is slowly but surely.Also I have to say,I find it extremely difficult, to try and please everyone as to game balance,if everyone played the game the same way,then it would be easy but very boring,but luckily everyone plays the game using a load of different strategies,which creates the balance problem.

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 6
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/28/2014 1:35:47 AM   
Connfire

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. And keep up the great work, Kirk!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 3/29/2014 11:22:16 AM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Connfire

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. And keep up the great work, Kirk!

Hi Rob I intend to keep working on this,its far from the finished article!

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 8
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 4/20/2014 9:51:09 PM   
battlevonwar

Kirk and Great War players, just curious. I played the .4 patch a bit but I found that the freeze in the motion of play by the rules at least made things slow going. Unlike the early sweeping motions of The Great War, has that been remedied? What do things look like with the new patches coming out and what direction are they headed in do you think in the future?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 9
RE: CTGW - Why I Bought the Game - 7/5/2014 7:52:45 AM   
JRockne

Wow. Just sunk three hours into this game. Don't want to go to bed. Want to sink three more.

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> CTGW - Why I Bought the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI