Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I finally did it!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> I finally did it! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I finally did it! - 3/23/2014 5:12:47 PM   
Numdydar

Won as the CP with a Surpreme Victory with the 1.4.2 patch.

But it was NOT easy and you cannot do it with out a lot of reloads. Manily due to forgeting small things, like not returning a sub to patrol after repair/upgrade.

The Small Garrisions are a huge problem imho. While they cannot be railed, they can certainly be moved by sea. Which the AI is more than willing to do. So as the player, you have to use these as the AI does and be willing to move these around to fill in gaps in the line and scondary lines of defense.

The begining is also key. As the AHE, you need to conquer Serbia prior to Italy joining the war. Or at least be able to spare 2-3 corps and 1-2 garrisions from other areas.

As Germany, you have to capture Calais so you subs can get more shots in at the EP convoys. You will need at least 6 (7+ is better) subs in order to insure nothing gets thought. 7 or more allows return to base for repairs and upgrades and still be able to sink anything coming in. I only had 6 and a few things got through when I pulled subs out to go back to port.

The 2 subs you start with in the Med are fine. So no more is needed there.

For Turkey, you need 3 corps to face the UK along with 1-2 garrisions. Along with your good defensive leaders. Once you have this, save up for an Art unit. Then build as many Corps/Garrisions as you can handle and place them against the Russians along with the Art unit.

Fortunately Italy is pretty easy to get to surrender. The AH navy is a huge help here as you can easily blast anything on the coast. Just do not leave the Adritic . I did once to kill off a BB and almost lost both ships. Took forever to get them repaired. But well worth the cost once Italy heats up.

After going though the entire game (I captured Paris on the last turn and France surrendered right as the game ended), I can say that winning on Balanced was the hardest thing I have done in a game like this but it can be done.

Of course I would not even wat to try this on Hard . I actually think as the CP it would be unwinable considering how close a thing Balanced is.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/23/2014 6:15:04 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: I finally did it! - 3/23/2014 8:14:14 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Won as the CP with a Surpreme Victory with the 1.4.2 patch.

But it was NOT easy and you cannot do it with out a lot of reloads. Manily due to forgeting small things, like not returning a sub to patrol after repair/upgrade.

The Small Garrisions are a huge problem imho. While they cannot be railed, they can certainly be moved by sea. Which the AI is more than willing to do. So as the player, you have to use these as the AI does and be willing to move these around to fill in gaps in the line and scondary lines of defense.

The begining is also key. As the AHE, you need to conquer Serbia prior to Italy joining the war. Or at least be able to spare 2-3 corps and 1-2 garrisions from other areas.

As Germany, you have to capture Calais so you subs can get more shots in at the EP convoys. You will need at least 6 (7+ is better) subs in order to insure nothing gets thought. 7 or more allows return to base for repairs and upgrades and still be able to sink anything coming in. I only had 6 and a few things got through when I pulled subs out to go back to port.

The 2 subs you start with in the Med are fine. So no more is needed there.

For Turkey, you need 3 corps to face the UK along with 1-2 garrisions. Along with your good defensive leaders. Once you have this, save up for an Art unit. Then build as many Corps/Garrisions as you can handle and place them against the Russians along with the Art unit.

Fortunately Italy is pretty easy to get to surrender. The AH navy is a huge help here as you can easily blast anything on the coast. Just do not leave the Adritic . I did once to kill off a BB and almost lost both ships. Took forever to get them repaired. But well worth the cost once Italy heats up.

After going though the entire game (I captured Paris on the last turn and France surrendered right as the game ended), I can say that winning on Balanced was the hardest thing I have done in a game like this but it can be done.

Of course I would not even wat to try this on Hard . I actually think as the CP it would be unwinable considering how close a thing Balanced is.

Many thanks for feedback!

Small garrisons,I'm looking to remove their ability to transport by sea,also to get the AI to use them as intended,as defensive units behind your front lines for City defense.I have also changed the fact that they cost nothing to repair and upkeep,this is for patch 1.50 !

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 3/23/2014 9:14:45 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: I finally did it! - 3/24/2014 2:11:51 AM   
Numdydar

I modded them to have 0 movement which made a big difference. Unfortunately that also preveneted the SGs from being disbanded  So cities where I wanted to replace the SGs with better troops, had to be killed off first. Of course this would lead the city to be taken, PPs reduced until recaptured. So not an ideal situation but one that overall made a huge difference in the game play as the CP.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 3
RE: I finally did it! - 3/24/2014 3:02:05 AM   
operating

quote:

I modded them to have 0 movement which made a big difference. Unfortunately that also preveneted the SGs from being disbanded  So cities where I wanted to replace the SGs with better troops, had to be killed off first. Of course this would lead the city to be taken, PPs reduced until recaptured. So not an ideal situation but one that overall made a huge difference in the game play as the CP.

Patch 1.4.0: Was the introduction of SGs to the game, much like you said, they could not move, or be switched/swapped, and or disbanded in that version last Oct/November.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: I finally did it! - 3/24/2014 9:01:34 AM   
kirk23

quote:

I'm sure its hard coded in the game, that if a unit has zero movement,then it can't swap position with other units,or be disbanded for that matter,hence the reason the small garrison was given very limited movement,but when we did that,the AI started to use them aggressively,something they were never ever intended to do,they are a defensive City protection only, a hot fix or the up and coming 1.50 patch will sort this once and for all.

Make it so!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> I finally did it! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI