Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on gameplay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Question on gameplay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on gameplay - 9/10/2014 6:33:23 PM   
Ostwindflak

I have been thinking of buying this game. Question is:

Is this more of a beer and pretzels style game versus an in depth strategic game?

Post #: 1
RE: Question on gameplay - 9/12/2014 2:51:36 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I have been thinking of buying this game. Question is:

Is this more of a beer and pretzels style game versus an in depth strategic game?

I'll try to give an honest appraisal. When I first saw this title it did look simplistic to me. Sort of like Risk dressed up as World War 2. However, it's been one of my consistent favorites since I purchased it. I own other World War Two games on the global scale, but this is the only one I ever seem to play through to it's conclusion. Possibly, because it doesn't drown you in minutiae and micro-management. (Although as the game progresses towards 1945-46 and the number and power of the antagonists grow, there gets to be a lot to do.)

I enjoy how the game mechanics direct players to use historical means to meet operational objectives. To mount a proper offensive requires stockpiling supplies, planning strategic transportation to make sure units will be in position ahead of time, and the use of combined arms with the proper mix of armor, infantry, artillery, air, and naval support. In the combat mechanics and modifiers there is a lot going on under the hood.

I also like that home territory population puts a constraint on how many units you can build. You can't just magically roll out more infantry and armor because you control a vast swath of territory and the industry and resources within. Conquered industrial zones can give you supplies and R&D, but not more combat units. Plus, they and the transportation infrastructure have to be repaired and retooled before they work for you. If you go wild rolling up real estate you may find you have nothing left over to make it work to your advantage, and just getting reinforcements to the front becomes a chore.

There are some flaws. The crucial nature of oil isn't well represented, units don't have historical designations and I can't figure why Colombia, Ecuador and Peru are all the same country on the map, but maybe some clever modder will fix that someday.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on gameplay - 9/12/2014 1:43:49 PM   
Ostwindflak

Thank you for the reply Shellshock. Your overview gives me a better sense of the game than what I was able to gather from screen shots and two short (and not very exciting) videos on you tube.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on gameplay - 9/13/2014 4:46:36 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Thank you for the reply Shellshock. Your overview gives me a better sense of the game than what I was able to gather from screen shots and two short (and not very exciting) videos on you tube.

Yeah. I think I know of what you speak. Videos of on-screen game play with some martial music throw in, and no narration to say what's going on.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on gameplay - 9/13/2014 2:44:55 PM   
midgard30

This game has simple mechanics like a boardgame (i.e. Axis & Allies), but it has a lot, and a lot under the hood. The rulebook has 300 pages. It's my all time favorite wargame.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on gameplay - 9/13/2014 3:42:43 PM   
rjh1971

The game reaches its peak when played against another human player. I've had lots of fun with it.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on gameplay - 1/12/2015 6:59:06 PM   
Athelas2211

I would love to have the game.
what is the total cost and will it be on steam? ( I dont want sales, I just want steam availability)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Question on gameplay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI