Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patching to v02.09.05 or not

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Patching to v02.09.05 or not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/7/2019 12:53:40 PM   
TeaLeaf

So, I'm currently still using v2.7.5 because in this version I can control the convoy-AI (most of the time); it works as it's supposed to.

Now I'm wondering: Can I roll back to 2.7.5 if I install v02.09.04.00 Public Beta Update and then patch to v02.09.05, simply by replacing the 2.9.5 exe with 2.7.5 exe?

I'd like to easily roll back to 2.7.5 if 2.9.5 reintroduces convoy-problems, but I certainly like to at least try and see if it does or not!
Post #: 1
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/7/2019 4:55:42 PM   
paulderynck

The simplest way is to edit the game file to change the game version. Open it in a text editor like Notepad and on the first line at top left is the game version. Change it and save the game. Make sure the extension is still "GAM".

Create two desktop shortcuts - one to a 2.9.5 EXE and one to a 2.7.5 EXE. You can open any prior version with 2.9.5, but you need to edit the game file version before opening ones later than 2.7.5, if using 2.7.5.

So you get to where you want to use 2.7.5, edit the game file, do your thing with the 2.7.5 EXE, save the game and then open it with 2.9.5 from that later point (no need to change the game version back first).

AFAIK this will work for any game version after about 2.4 because there's been no changes since then to the save game file format nor to the data files the game uses.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 2/7/2019 5:03:03 PM >

Paul

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 2
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/7/2019 8:16:58 PM   
TeaLeaf

Thanks Paul!

So I can dowload and install 2.9.4, patch to 2.9.5 and start playing.
Then if I want to switch to 2.7.5, I have to edit the GAM file like you described (just the version at first line top left) and use the 2.7.5 EXE to open this savegame.

Can I assume this also works vice versa?
While playing v2.7.5, edit the GAM file back to 2.9.5 and use the 2.9.5 EXE to play this GAM file?

Thanks a lot!

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/7/2019 10:02:05 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: TeaLeaf

Thanks Paul!

Then if I want to switch to 2.7.5, I have to edit the GAM file like you described (just the version at first line top left) and use the 2.7.5 EXE to open this savegame.

While playing v2.7.5, edit the GAM file back to 2.9.5 and use the 2.9.5 EXE to play this GAM file?

Thanks a lot!

No need to do this. 2.9.5 will run a 2.7.5 saved game without any editing. It is only going backwards (2.9.5 save, 2.7.5 EXE) that requires editing.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 4
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/8/2019 5:44:16 PM   
TeaLeaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

Thanks Paul!

Thanks a lot!

No need to do this. 2.9.5 will run a 2.7.5 saved game without any editing. It is only going backwards (2.9.5 save, 2.7.5 EXE) that requires editing.

Yes I understand that, but... If I play a 2.7.5-save using 2.9.5, I am basically playing a 2.9.5 game right?
I was looking for the easiest way to swap versions completely (say if I am not happy with the way 2.9.5 treats my convoys, I can continue playing my 2.9.5 save, with the 2.7.5 EXE, restoring the correct convoy handling). So I can play a 2.7.5 game with a 2.9.5-save.

< Message edited by TeaLeaf -- 2/8/2019 5:45:43 PM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 5
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 2/8/2019 8:19:31 PM   
paulderynck

Yes you can do that.

Paul

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 4/9/2019 11:36:07 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

This switching between MWIF versions is usually okay.

Problems will occur if:

(1) There were changes to data files (e.g., map data or unit data) between the versions.

(2) There were changes to the structure of the GAM files. I (rarely) sometimes need to make changes to what is written out to the GAM file when a saved game is made. The code always supports loading old GAM files but there is no code to support going backwards (from a 2.9.5 saved game to a 2.7.5 saved game). The GAM file from a more recent version might have additional data that an older version of MWIF might not be able to process.

My "changes since" list will mention if there were any changes of either type since the previous version.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 7
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 5/14/2019 6:14:45 PM   
TrogusP96

Tealeaf

What do you mean "I can control the convoy-AI (most of the time): it works as it's supposed to"? I spend a disproportionate amount of time on the convoy set up.

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 8
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/10/2019 7:46:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrogusP96

Tealeaf

What do you mean "I can control the convoy-AI (most of the time): it works as it's supposed to"? I spend a disproportionate amount of time on the convoy set up.

Once I get the convoys where I want them, the program works out what should go where.

Of course, when the convoy pipeline gets messed up (by enemy submarines or major changes to Trade Agreements), the program's solution might not be exactly what I want. But it is usually pretty close to optimal for fulfilling trade agreements and making factories productive.

Trade agreements to China and the USSR can often have unacceptable resources and factories chosen. But once I set the Default to the ones I prefer, the program continues to use those defaults thereafter.

---

Now if you are saying you spend a lot of time on deciding where to place your convoys - well then, yeah. Those aren't easy decisions. Especially deciding which ports should hold any extra convoys is difficult.

Steve

(in reply to TrogusP96)
Post #: 9
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/11/2019 4:26:54 PM   
TeaLeaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrogusP96

Tealeaf

So sorry I must have missed your question...
I meant I find 2.7.5 a stable version for the convoy-game. The Convoy AI at least obeys my commands (as long as I obey the WiF rules) and does not make a mess (or maybe just 1nce or twice a game). IF it ever made a mess it quickly obeyed to my repairs . Don't know how later version fare, since I haven't played later versions yet.

(in reply to TrogusP96)
Post #: 10
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/23/2019 5:45:04 PM   
TrogusP96

Thanks. I meant that the AI reroutes after I set it up. Each turn I have to reset the CW convoys between Bay of Biscay and North Sea Faroes route. I'm using 2.7.1 because I've made some changes to map and unit data files and updates wont load. Sounds like your version works better. Thanks for info.

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 11
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/23/2019 5:48:19 PM   
TrogusP96

Steve,

Thanks. I meant that the AI reroutes after I set the convoys. Each turn I have to reset the CW convoys especially between Bay of Biscay and North Sea/Faroes route. I'm using 2.7.1 because I've made some changes to map and unit data files and updates won't load and I assume that's the reason. Sounds like your later version works better. Maybe I should update. Also for a long time my updater didn't work. Then it did; I changed some files and have been happy since except for the convoy issue and an occasion freeze on air combat intercepts.

Jim

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 12
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/27/2019 1:03:17 PM   
TeaLeaf

Just started a new H2H game, latest version (3.0.2).

So far I finished the set up and I am now doing the allied impulse.
The CW convoys seem to behave, with just 1 little annoyance:
The AI tries to get a resource to Warsaw (in short, costing the CW a BP) and to prevent that I had to default a lot of resources either to idle or to another destination.

At least it seems to obey my commands, which I think is the best we can settle for :-).

Question for Steve if he reads this:
is it possible for you to make it that we can idle a factory?
Idling just Warsaw (and possibly Lodz as well) would have saved me some work as I couldn't idle a factory. Instead I needed to default almost all resources because the program just picks another resource to go to Warsaw after I idled its previous choice for warsaw.

I know in this case it doesn't matter a lot because, well, Warsaw won't survive that long, but in other cases it might just help a lot.

(in reply to TrogusP96)
Post #: 13
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 8/27/2019 7:19:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Just started a new H2H game, latest version (3.0.2).

So far I finished the set up and I am now doing the allied impulse.
The CW convoys seem to behave, with just 1 little annoyance:
The AI tries to get a resource to Warsaw (in short, costing the CW a BP) and to prevent that I had to default a lot of resources either to idle or to another destination.

At least it seems to obey my commands, which I think is the best we can settle for :-).

Question for Steve if he reads this:
is it possible for you to make it that we can idle a factory?
Idling just Warsaw (and possibly Lodz as well) would have saved me some work as I couldn't idle a factory. Instead I needed to default almost all resources because the program just picks another resource to go to Warsaw after I idled its previous choice for warsaw.

I know in this case it doesn't matter a lot because, well, Warsaw won't survive that long, but in other cases it might just help a lot.

I've never thought about idling a factory. It's not something the program is set up to do.

Steve

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 14
RE: Patching to v02.09.05 or not - 11/7/2019 7:40:59 PM   
TrogusP96

tealeaf
Did you make the change to 2.09 or anyything farther along?

What have you noticed bout convoy behavior? thanks.

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Patching to v02.09.05 or not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI