Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scuttling?????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scuttling????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scuttling????? - 12/29/2021 10:50:34 PM   
BeirutDude

Had a scenario where a nuclear carrier had 81% damage and both nuclear reactors were destroyed but the hulk remained afloat. Seems to me like a radioactive hulk in that condition would be scuttled ASAP. Perhaps the option to scuttle a stricken vessel might be considered.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Scuttling????? - 12/29/2021 11:15:17 PM   
Kushan04

If you want, it would be really simple to work up lua script to do this.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Scuttling????? - 12/30/2021 7:48:51 PM   
BeirutDude

Yeah I was thinking about that, but then the designer would have to consider this a possibility for every scenario with a ship involved. Seems like it would be a simple feature to add, so its flexible.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 3
RE: Scuttling????? - 12/31/2021 8:34:47 PM   
Gunner98

I think your right Al, a feature would be good.

As an interim, a Special Action with player input of the ship name would work. It would be a standard script (like the Game timer) and easy to add for any designer.

Any takers on building that?

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 4
RE: Scuttling????? - 12/31/2021 11:09:23 PM   
BDukes

Sounds good to me too. I always lose and it is better the send the pain right too the bottom

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Scuttling????? - 1/10/2022 8:19:19 AM   
KnightHawk75

I'm confused what special action do you want, one that just allows you to fast-kill a selected unit on the playerside?
If so the follow will allow that.
local function ScuttleSelectedUnit()
    local sUnits=ScenEdit_SelectedUnits()
    local retval;
    if (sUnits.units ~=nil) and #sUnits.units > 0 then
        if #sUnits.units > 1 then ScenEdit_MsgBox('You have more than one unit selected, please only select one unit.',0); return; end
        for k,v in pairs(sUnits.units) do  --loop though selected unit table
            retval,u = pcall(ScenEdit_GetUnit,{guid=v.guid}); --get the unit.
            if (retval and u~=nil) and u.type ~='Group' and u.side == ScenEdit_PlayerSide() then  --are we valid and not a group?
               if ScenEdit_MsgBox('Are you sure you want to scuttle unit ' .. u.name ..' ?',4) == 'Yes' then
                   ScenEdit_KillUnit({guid=v.guid});
                   ScenEdit_MsgBox('The unit has been scuttled!',0);
               end
            elseif((u~=nil) and u.type =='Group') then  --are we valid and also a group?
                ScenEdit_MsgBox('You have a group selected, please select an individual unit.',0);
                return;
            else
                ScenEdit_MsgBox('Could not obtain the unit object for the selected unit with guid: ' ..tostring(v.guid), 1);
            end
            u=nil;
        end
    else
      ScenEdit_MsgBox('Please select one or more units first.', 0);
    end
    sUnits=nil;
end
ScuttleSelectedUnit()

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 1/10/2022 8:20:06 AM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
RE: Scuttling????? - 1/10/2022 10:58:55 PM   
BeirutDude

Well both the computer side and the player. I will try your the Lua code out for the human. But some things I've noted is an entire computer side/AI Task Group coming to a stop because the HVU is crippled and dead in the water when they would have scuttled/detached it as well. So the AI should either detach the cripple or scuttle her to fight on. I can't remember what scenario it was where I slaughtered the AI as they were sitting ducks still attached to the command vessel.

Thanks for the code. It should help the human player (though they can just detach a cripple as well).

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 7
RE: Scuttling????? - 1/11/2022 5:57:12 AM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Well both the computer side and the player. I will try your the Lua code out for the human. But some things I've noted is an entire computer side/AI Task Group coming to a stop because the HVU is crippled and dead in the water when they would have scuttled/detached it as well. So the AI should either detach the cripple or scuttle her to fight on. I can't remember what scenario it was where I slaughtered the AI as they were sitting ducks still attached to the command vessel.

Thanks for the code. It should help the human player (though they can just detach a cripple as well).

Well the ai side is different in that you'll need to scan for exact circumstances\conditions you want say every minute... over a sides units or subset there of, or a list of units you provide, checking conditions, be it damage over a certain %, specific engine components existing and status 'destroyed', whatever. Not complicated, just would not be a SA, but Lua action tied to regular timed trigger.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 8
RE: Scuttling????? - 1/11/2022 11:29:51 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Not complicated...

Well perhaps for you, but it's a giant leap for me (and I do appreciate your help!!!!!!!). I've gotten better at using Lua functions and some very. very basic coding, but not everyone is a programmer and I'm sure my code is as primitive as it gets. Look I know the Devs have done a great job with the game, but relying on folks to program things to develop scenarios is fraught with issues. Have you noticed the numbers of scenarios being submitted has gone down? I know I'm striving for less units that can do more in mine, but I wonder if people are getting turned off by Lua scripts? I'm not sure but...

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 9
RE: Scuttling????? - 1/12/2022 7:10:59 AM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

Have you noticed the numbers of scenarios being submitted has gone down?

I had not.
quote:

but I wonder if people are getting turned off by Lua scripts?

I see it as one is either going to make a scene or not (and decide to share it or not), Lua only can help make it operate more the way an author desires, so I don't see how it would be a turn off, it's an optional additive to a scene, and often changes the answer to 'can I do xyz in a scene?' from a no to a yes. If anything over the years it's been nice to see some who initially were hesitant to touch lua start doing so.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scuttling????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI