Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Early Withdrawal of Air Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Early Withdrawal of Air Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/25/2014 4:47:30 PM   
sufa101loofa

I have noticed if I withdraw an Air Unit even a day early from it withdrawal date I will receive PP (Political Points). Is there any downside to this if the Air Units are not in any major combat?

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/25/2014 5:00:28 PM   
Lokasenna

I believe that if you select to receive the PPs, the planes/pilots will not withdraw to your pools.

(in reply to sufa101loofa)
Post #: 2
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/25/2014 7:17:49 PM   
jmalter

You can manually move all the pilots to the Reserve pool before disbandment, except for the airgroup commander. If the unit's screen says it's withdrawing 'out of theater', the planes & pilots are permanently lost anyway. But the game doesn't care if all the pilots are gone, it just wants the planes. Similarly, you can fly off a ship's airgroup(s) to a base before withdrawing a ship, and suffer no penalty.

If you sub-divide the unit before disbanding it, you'll receive 25-33% more PP than if you disband it in a non-subdivided state.

But I'd only do that if the unit is not scheduled to return later in the game - I'm not certain that the game-engine can re-assemble the 3 components & return them to the reinforcement queue. You won't be penalized for not withdrawing the unit, but you might not get it back.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 12:21:37 AM   
BattleMoose

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I believe that if you select to receive the PPs, the planes/pilots will not withdraw to your pools.

What?!

Even if it gives a return date? Could you buy the group back later? Is there a place I could get details on this?

Been playing a PBEM and withdrew a few groups a few days early, would be horrified if that meant that I don't get them back!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 1:04:38 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: BattleMoose

quote:

What?!

Even if it gives a return date? Could you buy the group back later? Is there a place I could get details on this?

Been playing a PBEM and withdrew a few groups a few days early, would be horrified if that meant that I don't get them back!

If you get PP's, you get the planes in the pool. The pilots I think go to the pools. That I haven't checked. But the planes turn up right afterwards. GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BattleMoose)
Post #: 5
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 1:44:18 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

quote:

quote:

What?!

If you get PP's, you get the planes in the pool. The pilots I think go to the pools. That I haven't checked. But the planes turn up right afterwards. GP

That's my experience too.

The trade-off for the PPs is losing the planes days early. I have never charted it, but I'm "pretty sure" that the earlier you withdraw the more PPs you get, up to a point. I've sometimes withdrawn enough aircraft units to get a "free" LCU released in CONUS.

The Moose

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 1:48:14 AM   
BattleMoose

I've noticed and the tool tips do tell me that I get the pilots and the planes back and I have checked and I do.

My main concern now is that I also get the "group" back? For non-permanent withdrawals.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 7
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 1:52:22 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I've noticed and the tool tips do tell me that I get the pilots and the planes back and I have checked and I do.

My main concern now is that I also get the "group" back? For non-permanent withdrawals.

I am virtually certain you do. The returns queue draws on its own table I think.

The Moose

Post #: 8
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 3:10:20 AM   
BattleMoose

Okay, thank you.

Post #: 9
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 5:58:52 AM   
Lokasenna

Ah. I was under the impression that you got PPs for "permanently withdrawing" the planes/pilots, at least for the units that withdraw rather than disband. Good to know. I'll have to start getting my free LCU PPs in my own Allies games.

Post #: 10
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 1:36:11 PM   
Louisvillan

I was under the impression that a unit's return depended on its historical record. Some do return and the date is given. But several units are withdrawing for redeployment to the European campaign (and they are not coming back).

If I am in doubt of the squadron's fate, I'll save the game before sending the most experienced pilots to the reserve pool, then withdraw (or dispand) the unit. That way I can always reload the game if I'm not happy with the fate of that unit.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 4:16:00 PM   
btd64

If you "WITHDRAW" an air unit and it has a return date, you don't get PP's. But you do get the planes. Pilots also I believe. If you "WITHDRAW" a unit without a return date you get the planes and pilots and the PP's. "DISBAND" you get nothing unless you transfer the pilots to the reserve pool. Exception, if you "DISBAND" a fragment of a air unit, and the planes are not disabled you do get the planes and pilots to the pools. If the planes are disabled, you only get the pilots. These have been my observations. There are some instances, i'm sure, were these remarks do not pan out. Enjoy.... GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Louisvillan)
Post #: 12
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/26/2014 6:36:47 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Louisvillan

I was under the impression that a unit's return depended on its historical record. Some do return and the date is given. But several units are withdrawing for redeployment to the European campaign (and they are not coming back).

If I am in doubt of the squadron's fate, I'll save the game before sending the most experienced pilots to the reserve pool, then withdraw (or dispand) the unit. That way I can always reload the game if I'm not happy with the fate of that unit.

If it's going away and not coming back it has a capital 'P' next to its name. 'P'= Permanent.

The Moose

(in reply to Louisvillan)
Post #: 13
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/27/2014 4:28:34 PM   
jmalter

Another thing to watch for is the phrase 'withdraw out of theater' on the unit's screen, this means that the planes / pilots / LCU devices won't return to the pools. Always remove these airgroups' pilots and try to downgrade their airframes to third-line types before withdrawal / disbandment. For LCUs, never allow them to upgrade.

When ships have a req'd withdrawal date, you can safely fly off any FP or CV airgroup to another ship or base w/ no PP penalty. Use these airgroups as trainers, or give them to reinforcement ships that arrive w/o an FP group.

Post #: 14
RE: Early Withdrawal of Air Units - 5/28/2014 3:27:28 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

When ships have a req'd withdrawal date, you can safely fly off any FP or CV airgroup to another ship or base w/ no PP penalty. Use these airgroups as trainers, or give them to reinforcement ships that arrive w/o an FP group.

Beware though that if the naval unit is set to return, it will not have any air units on board if you fly them of before withdrawal. Some british CV's for example leave from the indian ocean and reappear at Balboa with no ariunits in that case. GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Early Withdrawal of Air Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI