Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AWOL invasion!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AWOL invasion!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AWOL invasion!! - 7/18/2014 3:16:59 PM   
pontiouspilot

In PBEM DBB #29 my opponent landed at Pt M with what an Allied bombardment combat report said was 6000+ men. Their TF had been pounded by coastal artillery prior to landing. When it came time for my turn there was no sign of any invasion troops. The 2 TFs still off-shore. What the hell happened to the invasion? Did they re-embark? I have seen this happen on small island or atoll invasions gone bad. Is it a technical glitch?
Post #: 1
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/18/2014 4:38:52 PM   
jmalter

Might be, your CD guns caused bulk casualties and/or the invaders only had enough time to partially unload their troops & supply. So they might well have been wiped out 'to the last man' during the land combat phase, esp. if they had high disruption when they unloaded, or if a high %age of the devices that did unload were disabled.

Some of them might have re-embarked, I think this is a possible combat-result.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 2
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/18/2014 6:03:18 PM   
Aurorus

Yes, if the task force commander has low aggression, for example, or very high leadership (Tanaka) and high casualties, they may scrub the invasion before actually landing. I had this very same thing happen to me with a low aggression leader on my first-turn invasion of Tarakan in the Allied AI Ironman Nasty, where I just did not anticipate the number of coastal guns that Andy Mac added to the allied Coastal gun unit there. I had only 2 APs and the coastal guns sunk one, before the CLs and DDs could completely suppress them. The leader then scrubbed the invasion and began to return to Cam Ranh Bay. He probably saved the unit, actually, as well as the other AP, and I was very happy that I had chosen a low aggression commander for the invasion. To complete the story, I returned a week later with a regiment-sized unit and heavier naval support. So I learned on the first day not to invade anything remotely important with less than a regiment and a hardy amphibious task-force.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 3
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/18/2014 6:04:43 PM   
HansBolter

If you watch the combat reports closely failed invasions reload and evacuate near the end of the day 12 hour phase and you will see a report flash telling you so.

Hans

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 4
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/18/2014 11:06:34 PM   
wdolson

I have seen the combat report say that TF x is unloading at y, but no troops are unloaded that turn. It usually happens as one of the last things in the Combat Report. They unload the next turn though.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/19/2014 1:15:43 AM   
pontiouspilot

Next turn will tell. They definitely unloaded. There was then an Allied bombardment attack where unit ID and number of men became apparent…6000+

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/19/2014 8:36:08 AM   
Itdepends

If they took too many losses/too much disruption/too stiff resistance they will re-embark. It's a bit of a disaster and I've had it happen to me when landing against a well defended atoll.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 7
RE: AWOL invasion!! - 7/19/2014 7:23:48 PM   
pontiouspilot

Here is the deal....they landed the next turn and were certainly still there for my turn. The spotting says 10k+ but it lies, here by about 50%. What must have happened the prior turn is they partially de-embarked and were slaughtered by the landing and bombardment attack. I am betting they may never be able to attack after the swacking from Aussie coastal unit. I have not seen an Allied coastal unit perform that well.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AWOL invasion!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI