Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Post your level of automation and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Post your level of automation and why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 4:04:26 PM   
spinkick

Thinking about automating taxes because its boring. Do you guys design new ships every time you discover something, or wait for the suggestions to retrofit come in?
Post #: 1
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 4:13:12 PM   
marlin0

Automated: Private sector ships and bases design, mainly because I like to think of it as being immune to my interference.
Troop recruitment, until I learn to micro it better.

Everything else I manually control, as it makes me learn the intricacies of the game through trial and error.

(in reply to spinkick)
Post #: 2
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 4:19:50 PM   
spinkick

Thats a great idea, I didnt know you could automate just the private sector.

(in reply to marlin0)
Post #: 3
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 5:32:37 PM   
Max 86

Pretty much what marlin said and I'll add that eventually I automate explorers and miners after reaching a certain size and have traded maps with others.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to spinkick)
Post #: 4
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 10:29:29 PM   
t1it

Nothing until I explore most of the map so the explorer ships can autopilot.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 5
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 10:56:59 PM   
Kilravock

I have almost everything on manual. Right now the only things that I have automated is sending gifts, all military ships that are that are not in a fleet, explorers, constructor ships (I do queue up missions for them),fleets that I am not actively using (all fleets are setup for defense posture with a home base), and every new colony will build a star base and a garrison troop.

I only retrofit when I am doing a major redesign or if several techs with new components have been discover. The civilian ships and bases get retrofitted/redesigned a lot less than the military ships. Fleet ships get retrofitted the most.

(in reply to t1it)
Post #: 6
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/11/2014 10:57:09 PM   
tjhkkr

Most of my private sector is automated.
Taxes however, I do myself. It is a quick way to get a rebellion of the automation blows the ballgame.
Most military and colonization work is manual, though I do allow the system to prompt me that this or that might be a good idea.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to t1it)
Post #: 7
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 1:03:46 AM   
Gilmer

I pretty much only automate explorers because I can't stand sending them around. I like doing the rest myself. I don't always redesign ships when I get one upgrade, but if it is something big like a jump drive upgrade or construction size upgrade, I go ahead and redesign.

I cannot stand it suggesting me to buy ships. It always wants me to buy a crapload of ships.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 8
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 1:22:55 AM   
Nanaki

Explorers and construction. Exploration the AI does reasonably well with, but construction I am considering going manual because the AI tends to bulid far more mining stations then I actually need. Everything else I do not trust the AI with at all. I keep ship suggestions on as pirates because it actually tends to be spot on in terms of suggesting civilian ships, as despite building a ton of them the AI makes full use of every single one.

I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 9
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 1:46:07 AM   
DeadlyShoe

i generally turn off colonization, fleet formation, and major diplomacy. i manually control construction ships for pirates. otherwise mostly automated.

on that note, does anyone know if any of the AI personality settings control colonization urge or if its just the same for everyone?

(in reply to Nanaki)
Post #: 10
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 4:00:00 AM   
feelotraveller

I manual everything (although I usually have all settings on 'suggest' for a laugh, at least until it gets too irritating to repeatedly dismiss them).

I redesign all relevant ships (and bases at colonies) every time a get a tech upgrade. (It's not necessary, I just like playing with the ship designer.) I am judicious about state retrofitting but the private sector ships I want to update to the best possible if they every deign to retrofit... Bases not at colonies I generally redesign as well (just in case I hastily build one, I don't want another older design) but retrofit only when necessary or convenient.

As to why, I like to play the game rather than watching the AI play it for me. If I want that I will watch TV.

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 11
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 1:18:37 PM   
Keston

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I pretty much only automate explorers because I can't stand sending them around. I like doing the rest myself. I don't always redesign ships when I get one upgrade, but if it is something big like a jump drive upgrade or construction size upgrade, I go ahead and redesign.

I cannot stand it suggesting me to buy ships. It always wants me to buy a crapload of ships.

I need to turn that particular set of suggestions off. I found a whole generation of AI designed carriers popping up - I must have clicked badly when distracted to approve the boondoggle. Other than refitting, how best to get rid of it from a resource and funds point of view?

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 2:55:43 PM   
TanC

The only automation I do is to automate newly constructed ships. Everything else is controlled manually, helps me to optimize my empire in the direction I am aiming for.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 13
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 3:10:53 PM   
Airpower

I'm 100% manual until end-game. Because I play large galaxies and 1000+ star games, when I declare war, it's usually too much for my 10 hotkeyed fleets to handle. So I make a gaggle of 10-ship fleets and put them on auto attack. It's a great harassment to back up the sledgehammer of the hotkey fleets.

(in reply to TanC)
Post #: 14
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 3:22:29 PM   
AstroCat

I guess I'm a mix, this is how I have it currently:

Automate: Colony Tax Rates, Colony Population Policies, Ship Design (although I'm starting to slowly get into this)
Manual: Troop Recruitment, Fleet Formation, Research, Character Locations
Suggest: Everything else

I often automate ships in-game but keep the military, construction ones often on manual, and grab explorers as needed, etc...

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 7/12/2014 4:22:39 PM >

(in reply to Airpower)
Post #: 15
RE: Post your level of automation and why? - 7/12/2014 4:34:57 PM   
Darkspire

Automate: Colony Tax Rates, Colony Population Policies, Ship Design (for retrofits only, all designs are custom)
Manual: Everything except the above and below
Suggest: Base Facilities

1 to 4 attack fleets, 1-4 invasion fleets and 5-10 Constructors on manual, all other ships are individual and on auto

No Carriers, Resupply Ships or Research Stations, a few large Starports with no research capabilities and 1-4 Starbases with full research capabilities.

Darkspire

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Post your level of automation and why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI