Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/8/2014 3:41:43 PM   
SigUp

After playing against the Guadalcanal scenario against the AI proved to be a little bit unsatisfying for learning purposes, I've decided to try my luck with PBEM. I guess that's still the best way to make real progress, even though I might get crushed. While I am taking the Japanese side (perhaps not the most prudent choice for a beginner) my Allied opponent is Reaper who is getting back into the game and wants to have a go at Guadalcanal before heading to a GC. The only house rules agreed for this game is the restriction for 4E on the deck and fragment drops.

Then on to the game. As the Japanese commander the three broad objectives formulated in advance are:

1) Hold Tassafaronga as long as possible with the least amount of troops.
2) Launch an attempt to capture Milne Bay.
3) Don't get Kido Butai killed out there.

On day one cargo ships were sent out to begin absorbing the supplies located on the remote islands and ship them to Rabaul. The xAKL from the Shortlands was sent to collect supplies from Buka, while the xAKL in Rabaul was sent to Talasea. At the same time a little cargo convoy is being prepared in Truk to ship about 12,000 supplies to Rabaul. At Rabaul the APDs were loaded up with supplies for a fast transport run to Tassafaronga the next day.

The three subs located in Rabaul are steaming to the vicinity of Guadalcanal in the hope of interdicting the US task forces. The surface ships stay in port until the position of the American carriers is confirmed.

In the air the A6M3 squadron was flown to Lae (with the 6 plane A6M2 squadron heading to Rabaul) and ordered to conduct a fighter sweep over the Kokoda Track, but failed to get into the air. The Type 99 Vals at Rabaul received orders to conduct ASW operations and found two USN subs to the south and east of Rabaul, while the Type 1 Bettys had their duties split between naval search and supply flights to Tassafaronga. The planes on Tulagi were evacuated to Rabaul while the Type 2 Emilys began extracting the 129th JNAF AF Unit off the island.

The Horii Group meanwhile decided to test the strength of the Australians and bombarded their positions, only to discover that the Aussies were apparently marching back towards Port Moresby.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/8/2014 6:41:28 PM   
DanSez

Good luck.
The non-grand campaign scenarios have a lot of good lessons.
In this one especially:
1. Conserve your forces but don't be afraid to attack
2. Watch fuel and supplies
3. Act with a plan, not just to be doing something.

(edit-spelling)

< Message edited by DanSez -- 11/8/2014 7:42:08 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 2
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/8/2014 11:12:18 PM   
SigUp

7th August 1942

Still no traces of the US carriers, which is slightly unsettling, although American torpedo bombers were reported to have been sighted over Lunga. Meanwhile the invasion force was sighted about 80 miles south of Guadalcanal. In preparation for the upcoming landing the USN heavy cruisers began shelling Lunga in the afternoon. Led by Vincennes, Quincy and Astoria the barrage caused 199 Japanese casualties in the non combat and engineer department. Furthermore the airstrip and port were heavily damaged with 24 airbase hits, 53 runway hits and 23 port hits.

In the air the A6M3s stationed at Lae decided to launch a sweep over the Kokoda Track despite a thunderstorm in the area. On two separate occasions one Kittyhawk and one P-39D were downed for no loss. The aircraft losses table also indicated another Kittyhawk as operational loss. The Americans in the meantime visited Rabaul with five B-17s, but were forced to turn back against a CAP of 12 Zeroes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick question at this point, is there any use for CL Katori?

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Good luck.
The non-grand campaign scenarios have a lot of good lessons.
In this one especially:
1. Conserve your forces but don't be afraid to attack
2. Watch fuel and supplies
3. Act with a plan, not just to be doing something.

Thanks. I agree with the importance of balancing the need to save the strength versus attacking. Especially since after losing Lunga the Japanese player has to make some kind of an offensive move. The biggest challenge for me will probably be dealing with the American carrier superiority in this theatre. I hope I get lucky and my subs manage to whittle down their numbers a bit.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 3
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 2:42:06 PM   
durnedwolf

Hi SigUp,

Are you using search arcs for your Patrol Aircraft? Arcs will help you search specific areas of the map for the allied carriers. It looks like you pulled your FF and PA from Tulagi? That might be part of the reason for not seeing the allied carriers.

You have three subs that are pre-loaded with mines. What I don't remember is if you get additional mines later in this scenario... Also, one of your subs at Truk will carry a midget sub. Midget subs do not often score hits in my experience, but they might be a great head-game against your opponent.

Did you remember to add torpedoes to the 11th Air HQ at Rabaul? you'll want torpedoes for your Bettys if you plan to use them once you find Reaper's carriers.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 4
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 3:43:38 PM   
SigUp

Hi DW,

thanks for the reply, yes I am using search arcs, but perhaps I just suck at utilising them, because a turn later and I still haven't found them.
I've pulled both the Mavis and the Rufes from Tulagi. I thought about leaving the Rufes, but feared that I would potentially overstay the welcome and leave them getting whacked by the bombardment. Attached below is a screenshot of the search arcs.

Yes, the three I-subs on Rabaul are preloaded with Type 88 mines. I have them going as patrol, but I think I can still change them and have them lay mines. Haven't added the torpedoes to the air HQ yet as I don't intend to have the Bettys charge into a carrier CAP at this moment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 4:33:58 PM   
DanSez

I don't think you get any more mines.

You should convert some AGs and AKEs right away...
I don't think there is enough time in the scenario to convert ARs or ASs.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 6
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 4:35:32 PM   
DanSez

You will need 20k supplies in Rabaul to get aircraft replacements.
Either that or you have to transfer units to Truk.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 7
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 6:08:06 PM   
SigUp

A mini-convoy with 13,000 supplies is on its way from Truk to Rabaul. Regarding the conversion, what is the idea behind that conversion (and which ships should be chosen for the conversion)?

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 8
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 8:29:50 PM   
DanSez

AKEs help reload Battleships and Subs (large weapons)
AGs are Repair ships - they will help reduce a few points of Minor system/engine damage. You don't have Shipyard facilities in this game and you have to send ships back to Osaka to repair even 1 point of major damage unless you have a repair ship.

Kyushus or Yusens or Adens (not sure how many of each you have) I think are good AKEs - convert the slower ones.
You need 3 or 4, most will be stationed at Rabaul to reload BBs if you are running down the slot to bombard Lunga, or bombarding Milli(sp?).

I don't recall what ships I converted in my Guadalcanal games, but suggest you open up the ships screen, toggle All Ships (they will disappear) toggle AK/AKL and those ships show up, open up the top one and cycle thru the ships in port to look at the possible conversions. Try not to convert your fastest ships if possible but meet your need.

I also suggest you convert all of your Ansyus to Fast PBs and 4 or so Kisos to slow PBs for convoy and ASW work. You can base the short legged Kiso PBs at Shortlands to patrol the path your ships will travel from Rabaul toward Lunga, or around the Rabaul area as a lot of supply ships will be coming and going thru that port.

The fast PBs will free up the DDs from having to work cargo runs.

< Message edited by DanSez -- 11/9/2014 9:32:31 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 9
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 8:56:30 PM   
SigUp

Thanks for the heads-up with the PBs, I'll take a look at it. Regarding the other points, Rabaul is a level 7 port with 240 naval support. If I'm interpreting the table right I can rearm even Yamato's 46cm guns without additional AKEs. Is there an extra benefit from having a couple of AKEs stationed there? Then with the repair ships, Akashi will arrive as reinforcement a couple of days later, additionally I think that Rabaul and Truk can repair up to 5 major damage. Do additional repair ships increase the damage that can be repaired?

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 10
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 11:07:49 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

Thanks for the heads-up with the PBs, I'll take a look at it. Regarding the other points, Rabaul is a level 7 port with 240 naval support. If I'm interpreting the table right I can rearm even Yamato's 46cm guns without additional AKEs. Is there an extra benefit from having a couple of AKEs stationed there? Then with the repair ships, Akashi will arrive as reinforcement a couple of days later, additionally I think that Rabaul and Truk can repair up to 5 major damage. Do additional repair ships increase the damage that can be repaired?

The last Guadalcanal game I played (stock - patch x9) neither Truk nor Rabaul would repair major damage. Maybe that has changed.

As to AKEs - I believe they help in the speed to reload as well as socking away reload supply in the AKEs. If you only want to reload one BB, then it might do so but most task forces also includes CAs CLs DDs - having AKEs there to assist will get more ships reloaded. Any extra cushion in naval support will help.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 11
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/9/2014 11:16:37 PM   
durnedwolf

In this scenario I think you'll get a repair ship somewhere in the first 10-20 days. Check your Ship availability to confirm.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 12
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/10/2014 12:53:59 PM   
SigUp

8th August 1942

The Marines successfully landed on Guadalcanal and Tulagi for little to no losses. The carriers still went unsighted, while four APDs dashed in and out of Tassafaronga Point with supplies for the troops there.

9th August 1942

On Guadalcanal and Tulagi the US forces shocked the Japanese units into submission. At Lunga the Japanese forces registered 2,363 men casualties against only 146 Americans, while the detachments on Tulagi were wiped out. The USN carrier force still went unconfirmed, but a sub reported a sighting by a Dauntless and the suspicion is that the US carriers are located south of Stewart Island. Subs are ordered there to check up on it. Meanwhile Type 1 Betty attack bombers reported a hit on a Kent-class CA and the destroyer Dewey while on their regular patrol flights.

----------------------------------------------------------

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

In this scenario I think you'll get a repair ship somewhere in the first 10-20 days. Check your Ship availability to confirm.

Yes, Akashi will arrive at Truk in four days.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 13
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/10/2014 10:49:11 PM   
SigUp

10th August 1942

The US carriers were finally located. The hunch that they were sitting near Stewart Island and Kirakira proved to be correct. Instead of meeting the carriers, however, I-16, one of the two subs sent to investigate, stumbled across a TF built around USS Quincy and HMAS Hobart and suffered eight depth charge hits. In the meantime the rest of the invasion force seems to have left the waters around Guadalcanal. I hope the carriers will stay for another day, with the Japanese sub swarm closing in on their location.

In other news, the convoy with over 13,000 supplies from Truk to Rabaul ran into S-38 near Mussau Island and the Aden-class Tokishima Maru was sunk with 4,700 supplies on bord, depriving Rabaul of the chance to hit 20,000 the next few days. As a reaction the Rufes that are at Rabaul will be sent to Kavieng to keep that lane under surveillance, while a ASW group heads for the location.

At Truk the naval staff will be very busy with conversions over the next few weeks. A number of cargo ships are refitted into PBs, while three xAKs are set to become AKEs, with another couple of ships turning their cargo load into troop load.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 14
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 2:11:03 AM   
Cribtop

If the Allies lose this scenario it is usually because IJN subs sink a carrier or two. Keep after those flat tops!

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 15
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 5:03:50 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

8th August 1942

The Marines successfully landed on Guadalcanal and Tulagi for little to no losses. The carriers still went unsighted, while four APDs dashed in and out of Tassafaronga Point with supplies for the troops there.

9th August 1942

On Guadalcanal and Tulagi the US forces shocked the Japanese units into submission. At Lunga the Japanese forces registered 2,363 men casualties against only 146 Americans, while the detachments on Tulagi were wiped out. The USN carrier force still went unconfirmed, but a sub reported a sighting by a Dauntless and the suspicion is that the US carriers are located south of Stewart Island. Subs are ordered there to check up on it. Meanwhile Type 1 Betty attack bombers reported a hit on a Kent-class CA and the destroyer Dewey while on their regular patrol flights.

----------------------------------------------------------

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

Yes, Akashi will arrive at Truk in four days.

I am sceptical of the "ship reported HIT messages". In my December 7, 1941 tests, I counted five such messages against an Allied xAKL TF off Luzon. My trigger-happy Netty-Betty pilots were all 70 exp and 70 torpedo skill, but when I switched sides, this single xAKL registered no hits and suffered no damage. I thought I could replace Naval Attack mission with Naval Search mission and count on those hit reports during search for ship sinkings. Now I tend to think otherwise - some form of Naval Attack is needed, and this means higher air losses.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 16
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 5:35:09 AM   
BBfanboy

Surely you jest, Yaab?
Tokyo Rose always tells me that a single search airplane can sink "Two Carriers, a Battleship, and numerous cruisers and destroyers".
You're not calling her a liar are you!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 6:32:50 AM   
jmalter

Hi SigUp, you'll learn a lot in this scenario. Based on my historical knowledge of this campaign, you'll need to use all possible assets to bring reinforcements & supplies to Tassafaronga, while using your air & CV assets to detect & destroy Allied TFs.

Also too, the maps in your screen-caps are rather handsome - please tell me how you modded your files, to get the the maps.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 7:26:29 AM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

Hi SigUp, you'll learn a lot in this scenario. Based on my historical knowledge of this campaign, you'll need to use all possible assets to bring reinforcements & supplies to Tassafaronga, while using your air & CV assets to detect & destroy Allied TFs.

Also too, the maps in your screen-caps are rather handsome - please tell me how you modded your files, to get the the maps.

Yes, that's the primary focus for Guadalcanal, although I do want to keep the option open of capturing Milne Bay. The dream scenario of course is Port Moresby, but I guess for that to happen I need to get lucky against his carriers and gain naval superiority. The map is the work of chemkid, you can download it here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I am sceptical of the "ship reported HIT messages". In my December 7, 1941 tests, I counted five such messages against an Allied xAKL TF off Luzon. My trigger-happy Netty-Betty pilots were all 70 exp and 70 torpedo skill, but when I switched sides, this single xAKL registered no hits and suffered no damage. I thought I could replace Naval Attack mission with Naval Search mission and count on those hit reports during search for ship sinkings. Now I tend to think otherwise - some form of Naval Attack is needed, and this means higher air losses.

I'm not counting on the Bettys having hit anything. Even if they did it's probably only minor damage. With the US carriers around (and me not having Kido Butai yet) I am happy to let them fire away while on naval search. No risk of getting the entire squadron shot down by the carrier CAP.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Surely you jest, Yaab?
Tokyo Rose always tells me that a single search airplane can sink "Two Carriers, a Battleship, and numerous cruisers and destroyers".
You're not calling her a liar are you!

Tokyo Rose never lies. The American propaganda is very successful in hiding all those losses.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 19
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 8:41:16 AM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

If the Allies lose this scenario it is usually because IJN subs sink a carrier or two. Keep after those flat tops!

Unfortunately they got away this time. I hope the sub that arrived at New Caledonia this turn can get lucky when the carriers return to Noumea to refuel (is Luganville usable for this purpose?).

11th August 1942

The ASW force sent out after S-38 found that pesky little sub at the same spot and one patrol ship scored a hit. The USN torpedoes meanwhile showed their unreliability, as Grayling's fish found TK Matsushima Maru (after evading DD Yayoi on its way to Rabaul), but failed to explode. Further Truk - Rabaul runs will be ordered to avoid this area. A third sub was spotted 40 miles west of Buka and an ASW squadron was sent there to dislodge it.

The US carriers seem to have retreated out of the area. Aerial reconaissance failed to find them and subs I-171 and I-174 at Kirakira only stumbled upon DD Helm and Dewey. But this perhaps opens up the chance to run down a few CAs down the slot and keep the airstrip on Guadalcanal out of commission. The airfield damage is still at 31 if the information is correct.

2nd Kus-1 returned to Lae to sweep the Kokoda Track, but no Allied fighters showed up. The group will fly back to Rabaul the following day.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 20
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 10:40:02 AM   
KenchiSulla

I'm not a fan of searcharcs and have never had problems finding enemy ships while NOT using them... Try without arcs to see if that works out better for you...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 21
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 8:56:41 PM   
SigUp

12th August 1942

Not a good day to be a Japanese sub commander. I-122 was sighted by escorts of as TF built around Quincy and Hobart and suffered five hits. She'll most likely make it to Rabaul, but from there it'll go straight to Osaka via Truk. I-171 stumbled across DD Dewey and took 11 hits. Her crew is working hard to contain the floation damage, but right now it doesn't look good. Damage at 61 (major at 25).

The US carriers were spotted 80 miles south of Rennell Island, together with a TK. So they are probably refueling at sea, the sub swarm is dispatched into the region, hoping to catch them. The CA operation against Lunga is postponed. Meanwhile a fast transport group is in reach of Tassafaronga point with close to 900 supplies. Tassafaronga currently has exactly 1000 supplies on hand.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 22
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/11/2014 9:30:48 PM   
jmalter

Hi SigUp, thanks for the link to chemkid's maps.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 23
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/12/2014 8:21:47 AM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

Hi SigUp, thanks for the link to chemkid's maps.

You're welcome.

13th August 1942

Got the first surface action of the Guadalcanal campaign. The Tokyo Express squadron encountered an Allied force of DM Gamble and Montgomery. While Allied radar located the Japanese at 19,000 yards distance, the Japanese saw the two US ships only at 7,000 yards. APD-39 was hit once for practically no damage, while APD-46 was hit twice for 20 system and 13 flotation damage (8 major). In return DM Montgomery was hit once by a 12cm gun. The APDs will retire back to Rabaul. The question is, were the DMs there to lay mines at Tassafaronga, or to interdict the Tokyo Express? In any case other than the DMs, a task force with a bunch of CAs was spotted at Lunga. I'm thinking about letting a surface combat TF accompany the Tokyo Express on its next trip to to Tassafaronga, but the carriers south of Rennell Island are annoying.

Speaking of the carriers, screwed up a bit with the positioning of the subs. Most of them ended up north of their position, have to be more careful in setting the sequence of the patrol zones (for those with PZ). Not finding the carriers the commanders of I-123 and RO-67 launched their torpedoes on DD Dewey and scored no hit. At least they escaped detection.

At the Kokoda Track the Aussies apparently halted their move back to Port Moresby and returned to their positions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 24
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/18/2014 12:34:00 PM   
SigUp

14th-18th August 1942

Not terribly much going on. At around 16th August the carriers disappeared again from the picture, as well as the other ships of the US fleet. The IJN subs failed to pick up the track and instead were happy firing (and missing) at USN destroyers. On 15th August an airfield attack was launched against Henderson Field and three Wildcats were damaged.

With the US carriers apparently out of the picture Tanaka took Kako, Furutaka, Kinugasa, Aoba, Yubari and two destroyers down the Slot for a bombardment of Lunga. The bombardment in the night of the 18th didn't do really well and on the return trip Yubari hit a mine near Tassafaronga. She'll survive without problem, but repairs will take her back to Osaka.

Meanwhile a detachment of two destroyers and four small xAPs was spotted at Milne Bay. Type 1 Bettys escorted by A6M2s swooped down on them and sank them all. The question is whether they were reinforcing / resupplying the base, or preparing a pull-out. Was surprised to see that there were no fighters intervening. Also, the report of a halt of the Australian evacuation from the Kokoda Track turned out to be false. By the 18th August the Aussies were back at Port Moresby.

On 17th August the significant fleet assets arrived at Rabaul, but the Combined Fleet will adopt a wait-and-see approach for now. Kido Butai was formed with Shokaku, Zuikaku, Ryujo, Hiei, Kirishima, Atago and several destroyers. Most of the CAs are heading to Rabaul, where they will be based.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SigUp -- 11/18/2014 1:34:28 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 25
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/18/2014 1:04:08 PM   
DanSez

Be sure you are using your Glen equipped subs differently than the others.
Those are very valuable eyes to help you co-ordinate the other subs and to act as a trip-wire watching Allied ships heading toward Lunga and Port Moresby.

I usually put those Glen boats on a tiny 3 hex triangle patrol zone and set the Glens to 40-45 pct search. That gets those planes up and in the air. And don't do this too close to land based air, otherwise you will lose the Glens.

Move your Glen boats to new zones occasional or whenever they have a detection level to keep from losing them to concentrated ASW searches.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 26
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/18/2014 1:23:53 PM   
SigUp

I've been using a couple of them to keep an eye on what's leaving Noumea, but indeed your suggestion's good, I'll keep that in mind for the next turn.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 27
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 11/28/2014 11:26:11 PM   
SigUp

19th-26th August 1942

The week in between the 19th and 26th August was fairly uneventful. Rengo Kantai showed up in force. The cruisers were ordered to anchor at Rabaul while Kido Butai was formed using the three carriers, Hiei, Kirishima, a CA and destroyer escorts. But as I don't have a particular target worth the committment the fleet is still anchoring at Truk, while the air groups of Ryujo were resized to take better use of Ryujo's plane capacity.

For the most part of the first half of the week the American carriers were cruising some 120 miles south of Milne Bay. The IJN subs were unable to penetrate the screen. A surface bombardment group and a fast transport group took the opportunity to head towards Guadalcanal. The surface bombardment on 24th August was a failure, in part due to me forgetting to set the float planes to night recon. A day after the bombardment the carriers were spotted south of Guadalcanal and on 26th August I-19 reported the first IJN subs success of the campaign. Despite getting sighted early the commander still managed to maneuver through the screening force and put two torpedoes into Enterprise. Although the damage is probably minimal with the Allied damage control.

The Japanese air arm meanwhile conducted daily night raids against the US air strip on Guadalcanal, taking advantage of good weather and moonlight. Probably the most damage was done on 26th August as 19 Type 1 attack bombers damaged a couple of Catalinas and P-40s while recording 12 runway hits, 2 airbase hits and 2 supply hits.

< Message edited by SigUp -- 11/29/2014 12:26:45 AM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 28
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 12/1/2014 3:19:36 AM   
Justus2

SigUp,

Interesting AAR so far! I am getting back into WITP after a year and a half, and starting with Guadalcanal as the Japanese vs AI, so this is very timely!

One question, you mentioned the Allies pulled their forces off the Kokoda trail, are you leaving the Horii group there, are you going to advance them to PM, or are you going to pull them back?

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 29
RE: Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) - 12/8/2014 7:53:15 PM   
SigUp

As long as I don't have another use for them I'm leaving them up there.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Guadalcanal it is - A Beginner's PBEM (no Reaper) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI