Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't build resort base - but why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Can't build resort base - but why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/6/2014 4:36:39 AM   
Nikratio

Hello,

I'd like to build a resort base at a black hole. However, when trying to select the resort base in the action menu for the black hole the game tells me "CANNOT BUILD".

So far, so good. But how do I find out *why* I cannot build it?

Thanks!
-Nikratio

Post #: 1
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/6/2014 4:53:15 AM   
Aeson

Is there already a resort station present at the black hole? Or an existing order to build a resort station at that black hole? Does the black hole have a scenery bonus? Do you have enough money at present? (The cash on hand listed in the upper right is not constantly updated; open a menu screen like the ship construction menu or empire financial summary screen to force it to update.) Do you have a valid design for a resort station? Is the black hole within the borders of some empire that hasn't granted mining rights to your empire?

If the answer is 'yes' to either of the first two questions, the game typically disables the option to order up another resort/research/mining station because there's no real need for it (and with mining stations there's no benefit); the tooltip for the button will also usually say something along the lines of 'station already present' or 'constructor already queued to build station here' if one of the first two is true and you can also see in the object details in the lower left corner of the screen something like 'construction ship Adventurous Wanderer queued to build Resort Base here' beneath the object name. If the answer is 'yes' to the third question, the game typically only enables the 'build resort here' button on locations with scenery bonuses or ruins. If you don't have enough money, then the reason why you're not allowed to do this should be fairly obvious, and the tooltip for the button will generally say something like 'not enough money.' If you don't have a valid non-obsolete design (which you can check by looking in the design screen, and which I believe will also be noted in the tooltip for the build resort here button), correct that and you should be able to build a station if there were no other issues preventing construction. If it's in foreign territory, try building somewhere else, or perhaps try to secure mining rights (this can be kind of difficult since it's not something that you can ask for, and I'm not certain that mining rights will actually let you build anything other than mining stations anyways, though I suspect that they will).

(in reply to Nikratio)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/7/2014 12:17:05 AM   
Nikratio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aeson

Is there already a resort station present at the black hole? Or an existing order to build a resort station at that black hole? Does the black hole have a scenery bonus? Do you have enough money at present? (The cash on hand listed in the upper right is not constantly updated; open a menu screen like the ship construction menu or empire financial summary screen to force it to update.) Do you have a valid design for a resort station? Is the black hole within the borders of some empire that hasn't granted mining rights to your empire?

No existing station, no existing build order, +49% scenery bonus, enough money available, and the black hole is in my sphere of influence.

I also ave a design - but what do you mean with it being valid?

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/7/2014 12:30:53 AM   
Aeson

A valid design is one which is small enough to be built (determined by construction technology; you can see the maximum size for ships and for bases which do not orbit colonies in the list of your faction's designs, at the top of the menu), has sufficient reactor output to cover its static energy requirements, has sufficient life support units and habitation modules to cover its size, and has all required components for the design's role. You'll see warnings and error messages in the design screen if the computer has an issue with your design; as long as you have no errors (red messages), the only one you need to worry about is the warning that the design is too large for current construction technology - e.g. your station size limit is 480 and your design size is 500.

(in reply to Nikratio)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/7/2014 1:58:17 AM   
stormbringer3

I had the same problem until I discovered that I needed to research Space Construction in addition to Entertainment Systems. This might not be your problem but it stymied me for awhile.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 8/7/2014 4:42:53 AM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/7/2014 3:25:37 AM   
Nikratio

quote:

A valid design is one which is small enough to be built (determined by construction technology; you can see the maximum size for ships and for bases which do not orbit colonies in the list of your faction's designs, at the top of the menu), has sufficient reactor output to cover its static energy requirements, has sufficient life support units and habitation modules to cover its size, and has all required components for the design's role. You'll see warnings and error messages in the design screen if the computer has an issue with your design; as long as you have no errors (red messages), the only one you need to worry about is the warning that the design is too large for current construction technology - e.g. your station size limit is 480 and your design size is 500.

Ah, thank you. It was of course the very last item in he list: the station size.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't build resort base - but why? - 8/8/2014 3:02:21 PM   
Mortimer14

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikratio

quote:

Ah, thank you. It was of course the very last item in he list: the station size.

In the design screen, set the option in the upper left to show only "current buildable designs" and the one next to that to "State Bases".

Now look in your list of bases. If it doesn't show a resort base then your current design is not buildable with current tech. Set options to include non-obsolete designs and pull up your resort base to view the messages as to why it is not buildable.

I run into that problem constantly.

(in reply to Nikratio)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Can't build resort base - but why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI