Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colony questions; help a noob.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colony questions; help a noob. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colony questions; help a noob. - 9/28/2014 5:33:52 PM   
Jaeger5

Multiple colonies in a star system.

I heard you don't want to put bases everywhere but one to a system which will be a gathering point for the civilian ships to offload strats and luxs. How will the other worlds then get the medical and recreational bonuses from a base?

I found an alien colony pod of Napoar (lava loving peaceniks robots) that I set in my home world system on a lava planet. I want to use these cats to settle any lava worlds we come across instead of researching lava tech and using cut down on the mining stations. How long until they can start spitting out colony ships, should I build a small base there even though my home world already has a base. How can I set the population to just have Napoar there and any other lava lovers I come across.

Now, this 1% bonus I get to ship repair because of the Napoar is in my empire, will that go up with more Napoar in mine empire since they're going to colonize all my lava worlds and more napoar kiddies like to join the star fleet academy as engineers.
Post #: 1
RE: Colony questions; help a noob. - 9/28/2014 6:09:06 PM   
Aeson

As long as you have a sufficiently large population of a species within your empire, you will gain any empire-wide bonus that that species offers, unless you already have access to a better (or at least equal) bonus to the same statistic. For example, if I have both Humans and Quameno in my empire, then I will only get the +15% research from having a large enough human populace if my Quameno population is too small to give me more than that bonus. If my empire's founding species was Quameno, I'll never see that +15% research bonus because the Quameno +40% research bonus will always override it.

Increasing the population of the bonus-granting species will increase the fraction of their species-specific bonus that you obtain, up until you get the full bonus. I do not know off the top of my head how large a population you will require to get the full bonus from a given species.

(in reply to Jaeger5)
Post #: 2
RE: Colony questions; help a noob. - 9/28/2014 11:06:14 PM   
johanwanderer

I always build spaceports at colonies, but if you don't want to build spaceports, just design a starbase with medical and recreation facilities to be built at non essential planets.

As for building colony ships, you need at least 500M population before you can build it. Even then, at 500M it takes a long time to construct things, so just be patience.

I don't know how you can have just one kind of population at a planet, maybe you can play with the population policies and set them to "Do Not Accept", but I'm not clear wether if applies to the dominant species on the planet, or of the empire.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Colony questions; help a noob. - 9/29/2014 12:57:51 AM   
Blackanvil

I usually stick to the 1 spaceport per system rule because the way I understand it, the game will try to evenly spread out resources to all spaceports so they can build ships. I use defensive bases with medical and rec components to give the bonus to systems with multiple colonies.
Johan is dead on with the 500M pop and depending on what your tech bonuses are by the time you build up to the right level and deal with the slow construction speed you could probably research the tech. Your best bet would be to capture a independent that already has a high enough pop to start constructing colony ships.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colony questions; help a noob. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI