Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just for fun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Just for fun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just for fun - 10/14/2014 10:35:37 AM   
joshuamnave

Inspired by Omnius' 1947 global war showdown...

This game starts in the first impulse of Nov/Dec 1939. On the second impulse of the Sep/Oct 39 turn, the Axis powers declared war on the US. Italy and Japan declared war on Russia. The allies responded by declaring war on every single minor in the game. This includes Ireland, Switzerland and the Baltic republics. Even Tibet.

The Irish have reclaimed northern Ireland. The Spanish launched simultaneous attacks north and south, taking Gibraltar in a daring 3-1 attack, and much of southern France (but not Toulouse). The Swiss flanked the French and cleared the southern Maginot hex. The Saudis conquered Trans Jordan and Palestine. Mexico set up on the southern US border and forced a diversion of troops intended for Pearl, but have no intention of actually triggering the additional US production by going any further north. The Liberians are about to take Sierra Leone and the Belgians and Italians are busy taking the rest of Africa.

Meanwhile, the British are ashore in Norway, and the BEF is in northern France, along with some American artillery. The US ended sep/oct with 50 build points.

The AXIS powers threaten on all fronts, but the US juggernaut is wide awake. How long can the AXIS hold out against the overwhelming manufacturing capacity of the Americans?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zartacla -- 10/14/2014 4:13:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Just for fun - 10/14/2014 1:24:09 PM   
Courtenay

This does look like fun!

Did you do a normal set up, and then did the DOWs, or did all the powers know what they were getting into?

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 2
RE: Just for fun - 10/14/2014 1:54:31 PM   
joshuamnave

I didn't want to do a setup from scratch so I loaded an autosave from the last setup I ran for a global war game. Just had to drop the German units and go. But from that point on I knew what was coming and I wanted to give the Germans a fighting chance, so I let Germany have Poland in a walk.

Running into some bugginess now though - pretty sure having every country active is causing some overheating of the supply routines.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 3
RE: Just for fun - 10/15/2014 12:48:37 AM   
joshuamnave

By the start of 1940, the British convoys have been decimated. The Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian navies, along with Japanese subs operating out of Batavia, have isolated Britain. Gibraltar is in Spanish hands and Suez is threatened. The US has started sending BP's across the Atlantic along with armor and artillery into France, but German and Swiss units have cleared the Maginot hexes and are approaching Paris. Spanish and Italian units control southern France, other than the mountain cities. Algeria remains French, but not for long. The Japanese have landed in the Philippines but haven't taken Manila yet. Japan has occupied Hong Kong and Rabaul, but at the cost of diverting units away from China. Turkish and Iraqi units have forced the Russians to garrison those borders, but the Germans only have one HQ and a limited force on the eastern front. There's a real battle forming up around Oslo. America is producing a massive army but those units are still in the pipeline. For now they're stuck deciding between reinforcing their European allies and securing their southern border by taking out Mexico and pushing south.

As a player, the biggest struggle I'm having with this fun little set up is trying to figure out how to get all these far flung resources to factories.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 5:48:54 AM   
AxelNL

Supply will indeed give you calculation lags, but the experiment is indeed very interesting! Happy to see you in your writers outfit again.

Post #: 5
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 7:20:53 AM   
joshuamnave

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it's difficult to see the correlation between supply calculations and the delays when moving non convoy naval units out to sea, which is where most of my lag is coming right now. But I knew going into this that it would be an issue.

There are several bugs that have popped up in this game but they're not really worth reporting as they are unlikely to ever show up in other games. For example, on the first impulse of each turn, the declare war form gets a little buggy and closing it out will cause the 2nd major power to skip the action declaration stage. There's a work around for it.. after the other powers have chosen an action, you can reload the autosave at the point of the missing power's action selection, and things proceed normally from there. But it seems to be related to the fact that there are no available countries on which to declare war.

There was also some weirdness in the Balkans. On the turn that the allies declared war on everyone, Russia could only demand bessarabia, which they did. I meant to deny the request but misclicked and just let it slide. By the end of the impulse, Russia was at war with everyone but Germany anyway. Hungary and Bulgaria, now German and Italian allies respectively, demanded their territory at the start of the next turn (not the next impulse). Germany approved the request, but the land remained Romanian.

I won't even go into the nightmare that is trying to get South American resources to factories. Many of them have to be lend-leased and trying to get the production manager to send the right resources from the right place is a fool's errand, so the Axis received significantly fewer benefits from aligning everyone than they should have.

Still, I've had fun playing around with it. It's now Jul/Aug '40 and France is still kicking with 3 US corpse (1 arm, 1 mech and 1 mot) and 2 US Art divisions helping out with defense. Germany has one hex on Paris and the Italians are set to move in behind Paris. Western Russia north of the marshland is in German hands, save for Leningrad, but the Soviets are holding the line in Besarabia. The Turkish and the Iraqi's, backed up by some Italians, are stalled at their own borders, and Japan is making little headway against China. On the other hand, Japan is holding Rabaul, Hong Kong, and has 2 corps and Yammamoto outside Manila. And of course the NEI is a Japanese ally. The US has started pushing into Mexico, the CW has 6 corps in Norway, but the Swedish HQ and 2 Swedish corps along with 2 German corps are garrisoning Oslo and its suburbs. The Spanish took Gibraltar, and Italy has everything else in North Africa and the Middle East, including Egypt. The Liberians are moving up the coast and CW/French territories are falling fast. The Belgians have also done some damage there. At this point, the Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian and Argentinian navies are all working the African coast, and Japanese subs have cleared the merchant shipping lanes around India and some of East Africa, so the CW production is way down.

On paper things look good for the Axis, but on the ground it's another story. American units are pouring into France and even if Germany takes Paris this turn, there are enough US units in France or on their way to keep that theater alive permanently I think. The loss of CW production is more than made up for by US production which is already equal to the total Axis production, and is just going to get better next turn.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 6
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 1:50:56 PM   
Courtenay

If the Germans take Paris, are you going to declare Vichy? It would seem in the spirit of the game to have France keep fighting....

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 7
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 3:08:29 PM   
Centuur

Of course he will declare Vichy! French politics were all about Paris. As soon as Paris fell, France simply wasn't a political coherent country anymore...

On the bugs found. Why not report them with a saved game as they occur? It is usefull to do so, especially in wierd circumstances, because you probably won't be the only one to try strange things...

I have a simular game somewhere which I used to see if things were stable enough. Apparently, some things have changed, because I'm getting the feeling that you've run into some things which I didn't run into a couple of years ago...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 10/16/2014 4:11:27 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 8
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 3:16:08 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Why wouldn't Germany declare vichy? Spain's already on their side, and that's the real big bonus for conquering France outright, the chance to invade Spain and take Gibraltar. If you've already got that, what do you really get by letting all those French colonies stay with them?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 9
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 5:19:18 PM   
brian brian

In a slightly simpler way, you can get the globe burning bright via a very early Japanese DOW on the CW, or a surprise western Allied strike on the Japanese (classic example is the IJN massing in a port outside of Japan for no real good reason). Either of these would probably be most interesting to explore with Germany pointed straight east from the get-go. Let the carrier plane arms race commence.

In WiF5, we always thought it was a little disappointing that some of the places you could plant coup cells didn't have any military units.

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 10
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 7:16:40 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Of course he will declare Vichy! French politics were all about Paris. As soon as Paris fell, France simply wasn't a political coherent country anymore...

On the bugs found. Why not report them with a saved game as they occur? It is usefull to do so, especially in wierd circumstances, because you probably won't be the only one to try strange things...

I have a simular game somewhere which I used to see if things were stable enough. Apparently, some things have changed, because I'm getting the feeling that you've run into some things which I didn't run into a couple of years ago...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Why wouldn't Germany declare vichy? Spain's already on their side, and that's the real big bonus for conquering France outright, the chance to invade Spain and take Gibraltar. If you've already got that, what do you really get by letting all those French colonies stay with them?

From the 2008 Errata: Vichy France (WiF 17.1)
Vichy may not be declared if the USA and Germany are at war.

It would be interesting to test this in this game though.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 10/16/2014 8:17:37 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 11
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 8:02:25 PM   
joshuamnave

Yes, I will declare Vichy and likely collapse it fairly quickly to prevent allied units from building up and hiding in the narrow strip of western france between vichy and the sea. Although I'm also contemplating doing a restart so that I can do a full AAR writeup.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 12
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 9:17:16 PM   
Centuur

That change of the rules I didn't know about. Let's wait and see if Mr. Zartacla gets to the point where he wants to declare Vichy and doesn't get the option to do so... I'm curious too, because I don't think anyone has tested that...

Peter

Post #: 13
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 10:44:52 PM   
joshuamnave

Well I'm about to blow an O-chit for a 3 hex attack on Paris, so we may know soon...

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 14
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 10:56:22 PM   
joshuamnave

It ended up being a 4 hex attack, plus para. As you can see, the Allies held Paris.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 11:43:05 PM   
joshuamnave

Just to test the vichy thing, I went back and forced a German win in Paris then forced the end of turn. Germany did not get the option to Vichy, so that rule appears to coded in.

By the way, the game still doesn't enforce the rule that the first loss must be an engineer when engineers use their bonus in combat. The prompt is there, but the players can freely ignore it.

Post #: 16
RE: Just for fun - 10/16/2014 11:47:02 PM   
joshuamnave

Also, it doesn't look like the engineer bonus for attacking cities was properly calculated. The engineers were doubled by the O-Chit and activated, so there should have been a +2. Paris has 3 factories and is a city for a -4. The net city bonus should have been -2, not -3.

Post #: 17
RE: Just for fun - 10/17/2014 5:54:45 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Yes, I will declare Vichy and likely collapse it fairly quickly to prevent allied units from building up and hiding in the narrow strip of western france between vichy and the sea. Although I'm also contemplating doing a restart so that I can do a full AAR writeup.

yes please!

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Just for fun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI