Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 1:08:59 PM   
zakblood

Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode

Elite: Dangerous will not support the planned offline mode when it launches next month. Frontier Developments had plans to offer two modes for Elite: Dangerous. The first was the changing and dynamic online mode, and the other was the single-player offline mode. This is no longer the case however, according to director David Braben.

A reaction thread has appeared on the official forums. It currently has close to 400 pages that are mostly negative reactions. Executive producer Michael Brookes Michael Brookes has taken to thread to try and explain a bit more. "The problem is that the galaxy mechanics all sit on the online servers," he began.

"The data set and processes are huge and not something that would translate offline without considerable compromise to the vision. Trust me we didn't sit down and think what would annoy people the most! It's a choice we've had to make and so we've taken it." Elite: Dangerous is out December 16.

copy paste for those who haven't read it yet...

funny how they said all the way along a very long road is tat there was going to be 2 version, which now turns out to be, online only, it was always going to happen with scale and scope of it, it's just a shame that they wasn't more honest and upfront from day one, design changes along the way, yea right, ah well, if you like the online only ones, then it maybe ok, if you like me, and don't, then forget it....

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/19/2014 2:13:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 1:45:16 PM   
Ostwindflak

This is the first time I have ever heard of this game title. What kind of game is it?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 2:09:05 PM   
zakblood

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 3
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 2:09:40 PM   
zakblood

speechless i pressed before i even typed....

you joke?

as everyone knows what elite is, don't they?

space game, trading?

upgrading, pirates, bloke been doing it since before most here was born....

3rd one now i think, first 2 were good, but then again i was 12 or so at the time, so also thought with lego you could build houses tbh....

was young and stupid way back then, now i'm just older, but last parts is still true

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/19/2014 3:14:24 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 2:32:23 PM   
uncc

hhhmmm...sounds very similar to EA's initial claims that SimCity absolutely could ONLY be played online...and yet they somehow managed to fix the game so it could be played offline.

< Message edited by uncc -- 11/19/2014 3:38:41 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 2:42:46 PM   
Ostwindflak

Sounds like Eve Online to me. I have never played Eve, but space and trading sound similar. I don't play those type of games so that is most likely why I have not heard of this one.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 6
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 3:26:02 PM   
VPaulus

I'm quite disappointed with their decision.
I intended to play in SP Offline.
I wanted to play this game at my own pace and not at a MMO's pace.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 11/19/2014 4:27:24 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 3:40:54 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Shame all the sales they are going to lose by going online only. This is what happened to Diablo III as well. Thanks for saving me the money zakblood.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 8
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 3:54:42 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

I'm not in full knowledge of the facts but I believe you can play solo...and "generally" offline.

I think the status is that it needs to connect to the servers "from time to time" to update the universe. So everyone playing (trading/killing/pirating) will effect the universe and when your game connects it gathers that information.

It's essentially real people who make the universe evolve...the whole community, whether playing "online" or "offline". So when you are flying about in "offline" mode, you truly are not amongst other real world players.

But connection is required "from time to time", though he has stated it's a "light" connection dependency...but a dependency none-the-less - but you won't be mixing it up with other players if you are playing in solo mode.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 9
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 3:57:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

I don't know what sales will be lost or how many people will ask for a refund.

I'm not.

I'm not really happy about the server connection requirement because we've seen how bad those can be implemented - but at the end of the day, even given the ALPHA and BETA versions, this has been and currently is by far one of the most intriguing, immersive, polished and quality games I've had the pleasure of purchasing in quite some time.

But YMMV

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 3:58:37 PM   
Orm

quote:

You said it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 11
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 4:21:51 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Sounds like Eve Online to me. I have never played Eve, but space and trading sound similar. I don't play those type of games so that is most likely why I have not heard of this one.

Elite first appeared in 1984 on the BBC Micro which had 32K RAM at the time. I played the Commodore 64 version which had a total of eight galaxies containing 256 planets. Yoo started of as Harmless and traded, bounty hunted or pirated yoor way to Elite.

It was The first of its genre with hidden line wire-frame graphics and was quite te sensation at the time.

Cheers

Gary

I am really quite mad yoo know!

Post #: 12
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 4:31:14 PM   
Vasquez

Played Elite on my Commodore 64 as well :)

Anyway.. since Iam an Early Kickstarter Backer Iam already in the Elite Dangerous Beta and guys I can tell you: Scrap all other Space Flysims. The "Fligh-Modell" is outstanding esp Super-Drive (once you have managed the screwed standard keyboard config).

Iam happy they canceled the offline mode. More ressources into the online and co-op gameplay.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 13
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 4:45:56 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I'm not in full knowledge of the facts but I believe you can play solo...and "generally" offline.

I think the status is that it needs to connect to the servers "from time to time" to update the universe. So everyone playing (trading/killing/pirating) will effect the universe and when your game connects it gathers that information.

It's essentially real people who make the universe evolve...the whole community, whether playing "online" or "offline". So when you are flying about in "offline" mode, you truly are not amongst other real world players.

But connection is required "from time to time", though he has stated it's a "light" connection dependency...but a dependency none-the-less - but you won't be mixing it up with other players if you are playing in solo mode.

Can I pause the game like in any offline Single player game? Can I save it and reload?
And how will my gameplay be tainted by other players decisions? Can other players for example deplete mining resources from an entire system or even change its economy, while I'm not playing? I'm not intending to play 24/7.

I can understand why some people prefer to play on a dynamic Galaxy. But on my case, that's not the way I intended to play. I would like to have a choice as it was promised during Kickstarter. That was the reason why I pledged the Physical DRM-free collector's premium boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous".

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 5:48:48 PM   
gradenko2k

This is rather disappointing. Elite Dangerous was supposed to be one that would blow Star Citizen out of the water.

I mean, it could still do that, but now it's more Washington vs Kirishima instead of Nishimura vs Oldendorf at Surigao

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 15
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 6:02:02 PM   
zakblood

quote:

i agree with you as well, was looking forward to this, but have no interest on what others are doing, so like o play my way at my own speed, doing my own stuff, so now will give it a wide berth as was going to pre order it as well, but think now i will wait for the backlash to make them alter it or miss it altogether

as the page count passer 600+ i see the first thread on refunds appear and start to see it rise on refunds also called Refund experiences (relating to offline issue) goes past 12 pages now, and will keep on growing as well, as when you change basic stuff that was a day one promise, prospective players will leave and ask for a refund as if they wanted a online space game a MMOG then eve is already out for them, but no most wanted and still offline game, like the rest in the past, no buts, no answers, no reply, just lies all over again, such a bad choice and a real shame, killed it dead in space for me :( and spoiled my xmas good and proper

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/19/2014 7:24:22 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 16
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 6:02:41 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Shame all the sales they are going to lose by going online only. This is what happened to Diablo III as well. Thanks for saving me the money zakblood.

you and me both so your more than welcome

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 17
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 6:08:39 PM   
zakblood

quote:

quote:

what puts me off is i have no interest in it going online at all, apart from patches / updates etc, and then when i ask, not update the stuff i have no interest in, as prices and what everyone else will be doing or has done, beta has been very good, and it's a shame how they announced it in a standard letter, as if anyone does this at the last minute then they get what they will have brought on themselves, feedback must have been known as feelings from day one have always been a two version mode, £7.5 million and they can't do it, my god, teach 3 monkeys, hire half of the top 10 3rd world IT programmers and the following month it's done, and you have £7 million left in the bank, and they will be all smiling as well...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 6:26:21 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

This is the first time I have ever heard of this game title. What kind of game is it?

Watch and learn

[edit]
I want to add that the first Elite game is right there alongside with Civilization, Panzer General, and Doom. Knowing about it should be part of the education of video game players.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 11/19/2014 7:45:19 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 19
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 6:42:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

Can I pause the game like in any offline Single player game? Can I save it and reload?
And how will my gameplay be tainted by other players decisions? Can other players for example deplete mining resources from an entire system or even change its economy, while I'm not playing? I'm not intending to play 24/7.

I can understand why some people prefer to play on a dynamic Galaxy. But on my case, that's not the way I intended to play. I would like to have a choice as it was promised during Kickstarter. That was the reason why I pledged the Physical DRM-free collector's premium boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous".

I wasn't meaning to sound like your grounds for concern had no validity. Of course they do to you (and others most likely).

As I said, I'm not stoked about online connection being required either - regardless whether it's a constant requirement (which it's apparently not) or an occasional connection...the fact it's required makes me very unhappy.

But I was simply pointing out that solo online is not the same as MMO in the sense that, for example, there's still a "solo" online system. I don't want little oinks (young or old) who get their kicks from fannying about online for ****s and giggles at other peoples expense.

But I am still unhappy that if the server isn't there (for whatever reason) I won't be able to play. That annoys me.

But...the team have made such a hugely fantastic game, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how it pans out. I was in at a not so inconsiderable amount of money - and that was my doing and my choice. I didn't know what the plan was for the game and didn't care I suppose. Now I know, I ain't overly pleased about it...but it is what it is. And who knows...it may go the polar opposite of other games that required a connection in that the service is superb. That isn't my experience of this kind of thing - but we'll see.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 20
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 7:23:41 PM   
shunwick

I was planning on picking this up as a Christmas present to myself. However, single player offline was where it was at for me. Single player online might be acceptable but putting my purchase on hold for a couple of months to see how it goes.

It is a sadness.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/19/2014 8:14:23 PM   
zakblood

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wasn't meaning to sound like your grounds for concern had no validity. Of course they do to you (and others most likely).

As I said, I'm not stoked about online connection being required either - regardless whether it's a constant requirement (which it's apparently not) or an occasional connection...the fact it's required makes me very unhappy.

But I was simply pointing out that solo online is not the same as MMO in the sense that, for example, there's still a "solo" online system. I don't want little oinks (young or old) who get their kicks from fannying about online for ****s and giggles at other peoples expense.

But I am still unhappy that if the server isn't there (for whatever reason) I won't be able to play. That annoys me.

But...the team have made such a hugely fantastic game, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how it pans out. I was in at a not so inconsiderable amount of money - and that was my doing and my choice. I didn't know what the plan was for the game and didn't care I suppose. Now I know, I ain't overly pleased about it...but it is what it is. And who knows...it may go the polar opposite of other games that required a connection in that the service is superb. That isn't my experience of this kind of thing - but we'll see.

also sorry as well as tbh on re reading it i got a bit too loud and had to leave, as my Christmas was going to be all fun, re kindling my childhood with a good old classic remade, but that dream is now broken, like many others tbh...

while the game will still play, it wont be a purchase for me, as i don't support companies who say one thing and do another, i would rather not bother than have something that left a bad taste in my mouth, same will go for SEGA and total war if also they don't watch it, could go on and say Star wars and Disney as well, but that got broken a while ago anyway...

so won't even though i just did

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/19/2014 9:15:08 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/20/2014 5:46:01 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

There's a lot of people (and a few on here also) who are going on about Elite back in the day. I never had the 198? version. I did have a version in 199? on PC and know what you all mean...but the 198? version was massively ground breaking in the gaming world.

So a lot of people are saying they spent days/weeks/months playing Elite and they wanted to relive that. They want those days back.

Well...I'd say cutting your nose off to spite your face is the phrase if you aren't going to get this simply because it connects to the server from time to time to get the universe data.

Braben gave you a game all those years ago that no-one else was offering. There was nothing like it on the market and he gave you Elite. So I would suggest perhaps trusting the guy might give you a wee bit of leeway at least. To some, he's already destroyed that trust with the "no pure offline" mode. So be it. I get that.

Like I said - I never played the original - but whilst this isn't ground breaking in the sense that he's fitting a 3D world into 22KB of memory and he's doing something that isn't out there, what he (and his team) have done is create the most immersive space sim I've ever seen ever. The feeling of flying a space ship in space is there. The feeling of being a trader, naughty or nice, is there. The sounds in game are simply astounding. They "fit" the game. You've got different ships. Multiple ships to own for different tasks. Kit to attach. A pretty huge universe to fly about in.

Want to trade, trade. Want to trade in black market stuff...go ahead. Want to steal other peoples (real, live , living world people or NPCs) kit...go ahead. Want to run about fighting the Federation...ok.

I've read so many players great experiences on this game. Wee individual stories of things they've got up to in game. Like the guy who was dealing in black market cargo. They were approaching a station and there were the normal "police" for the system running around. They went into silent running, sneaking through the police and went through the station entrance to land, selling their cargo for a nice princely sum. Another where someone was being attacked. They dropped a heat sink, went into silent running and "disappeared"

I've been playing BETA since June. Not solidly (I have one or two other games ) but ever single time I fire this game up, it looks more stunning than it did before and I didn't believe it could. It is more immersive than it was before and I didn't believe it would be. It dragged me right in every single time I fire it up.

All I'm saying is regardless what I paid for it, this game is a STEAL at £35. Man, it's a steal at the price I paid.

I'm not happy about the online connection requirement. But Braben has explained the universe and the player needs to have that connection to keep that deep, embedded feeling of being involved in a live universe. After what he gave people in 1980's and what I had in the 1990's and again, now, in 2014 I'm going to take him at his word.

If you like space sims. If you like trading and piracy. If you want immersion in your games. If you want a living, breathing world in your gaming. If you enjoyed Elite in the 80's or 90's then I'm stunned that you'd be willing to miss out on one of the finest games made in years just because it needs to connect to the server from time to time. I honestly think you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

But of course it's your choice. The best game since slice bread could be yours for £35.

Anyone would think I have a stake in the company but I don't I just thought I should put it into perspective. I've played this game since June and nothing in as long as I can remember has grabbed me the way this has.

The X-Rebirth and X-Terran Conflict icons sit on my desktop totally redundant because of a game I bought in a BETA state! As great as those games are, I fired up Rebirth a week or so ago because there was another wipe coming in the BETA of Elite and the game just totally pales in comparison in every single way.

So I'll shut up now.

It's quite obviously your choice...but you will most definitely be missing out on something amazing.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 23
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/20/2014 6:04:45 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Braben gave you a game all those years ago that no-one else was offering. There was nothing like it on the market and he gave you Elite. So I would suggest perhaps trusting the guy might give you a wee bit of leeway at least. To some, he's already destroyed that trust with the "no pure offline" mode. So be it. I get that.

If he promised something, he is contractually obligated to provide it, or a full refund if he failed to meet the terms of the contract.

Breach of contract is not the way to build trust in any community. Now if he comes out and offers a full refund to those who supported and paid for a non-DRM offline single player game then he’d win some trust back.

Imagine if you will I begin a Kickstarter campaign and promise you the greatest visual game ever made. I then mail you a hand drawn deck of cards and leave with your money. There is an implied contract when you take money via Kickstarter, you have to deliver what is promised.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/20/2014 7:10:22 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/20/2014 6:06:21 AM   
zakblood

in it's day, well it's still talked about, it was and still is for size alone and fun to be had, well words can't convey tbh

looks alone don't make a great game.

game play does, and it had it in bucket loads.

single player fun, night after night for what at the time felt like years, something you really looked forward to coming home from school to put on and play, knowing everything was where you left it the night or day before.

very few games released have it, even less keep you there, with no extra added content, it's all there from day one....

and is called a milestone of programming, and in it's day, was the master, like dungeon master was to rpg, elite rocked in space....

the good old days.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/20/2014 7:08:03 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode - 11/20/2014 6:00:33 PM   
Otto von Blotto

I was a massive player of elite, frontier and first encounters and brought into this game when I first found out it was being made which was a few years ago now.

I find this news massively disappointing and although I won't be asking for a refund I doubt I will be playing this incarnation much because of this decision.

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Elite Dangerous Will No Longer Support Offline Mode Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI