Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why does it take so long to load troops and....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why does it take so long to load troops and.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 6:57:35 AM   
aaatoysandmore

They disperse to a million other places besides the one I want them to take troops from. I made a penil colony for this specific reason (let criminals fight and die in wars I say) but my troop ships spread out to tim buck too again and then half of them only load like 100 troops and I have them setup for 500 to 1000.

I have to say this is a big difference from GalCiv as when you send a troop carrier to a planet and tell it to load there it loads there. None of this running off to all corners of space usually running out of fuel on the way and then it takes forever to get it gassed up only to try to get it to load more troops again.

I've spent like 3 real life days trying to get this fleet to load up on troops and today it finally did. I don't think I've ever done so much micro management as I have trying to load ships with troops and keep them refueled until they get to their destination.

Finally took the Uraquan Capital and kept it too. It was an intense start as of course the troop ships all didn't arrive at the same time so only about 600 troop points landed at first vs 1600 or so. Then the main force finally arrived and my numbers went up to 2600 and the Uraquan started to go down fast. I was surprised they didn't even revolt after the war. I guess I had so many troops left they felt it was useless.

I must ask for an easier loading of troops in future versions as this is getting too tedious and frustrating to send troop ships to planets FULL/MAX and they go off toward another planet clear across the map to load and then don't even fully load there.
Post #: 1
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 3:07:44 PM   
feygan

Sounds like you have some automated functions set to default that are causing you issues. If your troop ships are buzzing about all over the place, you need to check that the ships are not set to auto, or the fleet they are a part of does not have range/stance settings to go chasing foes everywhere. As for the amount you load, this can be influenced by the settings for garrisons on the planet. If you have 10 troops on the planet but have it set to always keep 5, you are never going to be able to fully load 10 troops in to a ship until there is 15 on the planet.

The automation can be useful in many ways to help new players, but if you are familiar with the basics you should take your time with everything and check for any types of automation. Turn off all of them and you start to learn more about the mechanics of DW.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 4:37:38 PM   
Rising-Sun

You sure complains a lot lol. Take it easy ol' timer :)

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 3
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 6:15:14 PM   
Shark7

I have found that disbanding transports from the fleet until needed helps them get loaded up quicker. Not ideal, but it is a possible solution to load time problems.

It seems when they are not part of a fleet, they are free to go to any planet to find troops, but while part of a fleet, they tend to follow the flagship.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 4
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 6:22:25 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Wow coming from you????!!! I never would have expected that. Shall we pull up some ole forum posts of yours?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 5
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 6:30:39 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Well they were part of a fleet and they weren't automated to the extent of that little blue arrow being turned on. But, that part about the troops on the ground may be true because I just haven't got to that portion of the game yet and I do let the ai handle the ground forces but my god they build so many troops everywhere I don't see how there's not enough for me. I just got through DELETING about a million of them because they had ruined my economy building so many troops on the ground. They had tons on nearly every planet. I kept the ones in my ships and deleted the others. I'll start to work and watch that from now on.

Thanks guys. I'm learning but there seems to be so much going on all the time I just can't handle it all. I hear beeps and thunks all the time and it's driving me nuts I hardly have time to think unless I pause the game or open a window for a breather.

Thanks again. MOST of you were helpful in this thread but there's always that ONE that takes pock shots at you. I thought I got away from that getting out of the general discussion thread. Man that thing has just gotten out of hand with the topics. There's no wargame talk anymore. No strategy discussions. No nothing related to the wargaming genre except books I never seen so many posts about books. I came to play a game not goto the library or school to read a book.

Post #: 6
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 7:56:49 PM   
Bingeling

If you tell a fleet to load troops, the ships will try to spread out to collect some troops. They will go to one location each. If you give the fleet an order before they are done, they get the new fleet order. The same happens if you order the fleet members one by one.

If you drop the empty transport from fleet and automate it, the AI will make it run around picking up troops. Once full it will sit idle. It may be caught up in some fighting, though.

I may sometimes tell the fleet to load troops, and then afterwards quickly loop through troop carriers in ship list and drop/automate the empty ones. At the same time I can check the unfleeted transports to put the full ones back into the fleet.

Since I use the ship list this way I will never have troop modules on anything but transports. It just clutters the list.

Post #: 7
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/24/2014 8:08:02 PM   
aaatoysandmore

That's kinda what I have started doing too Bing. I just cut them from the fleet and make a fleet out of the empty ones and let them do their thing automated with my direct order to load troops. Then after a time I check back with that fleet and once full I put it back into the original fleet. It's just micromanagement I didn't want to do though. You know how long it takes sometimes to go through that fleet list even with the filters?

A good ai would just take from the population of the immediate area though too. This Penil colony I wanted to use is maxed out in 'population' yet doesn't have any troops. I'm now hearing you have to have troops in the colony....why? Why can't it just draw from the population "green" troops without all that micromanagement of purchasing them first? Just do it don't make the game so micro-organistic. Just take from the population if troops aren't there and just make them a lower grade of troop.

EDIT: That's how Galactic Civ does it and I'm leaning toward going back to playing it. I just liked this game at first because it was real time and I thought would be even less micromanagement than GalCiv but I'm finding out it's not really.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 12/24/2014 9:11:06 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/25/2014 2:59:20 AM   
Miyuki

right click with fleet selected on troop planet, load here.

shift right click for unload here.

Post #: 9
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/25/2014 5:56:19 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Wow thank you very much Miyuki that's what I was looking for the load from here feature. But does it work if there are no troops there? Just population only?

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 12/25/2014 6:57:30 AM >

(in reply to Miyuki)
Post #: 10
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/25/2014 12:11:47 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Wow coming from you????!!! I never would have expected that. Shall we pull up some ole forum posts of yours?

Heh just messing with ya.

Post #: 11
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/26/2014 11:32:25 AM   
feygan

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Wow thank you very much Miyuki that's what I was looking for the load from here feature. But does it work if there are no troops there? Just population only?

I am guessing you are asking if you can do the "load from here" command on a planet with only population and no troops? If so it is a simple no, if you do not have any troops trained at that planet, then it stands to reason you cannot load troops onto a troopship at that same planet.

Post #: 12
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/26/2014 8:32:29 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Well I wasn't sure if the game didn't make troops when it was empty of them when requested to load some troops from that planet onto the ships. But even so if I make troops on the planet those same ships still aren't loading them and I've turned off the default setting of the game that was like 25 25 25 25 and used the one in the policy screen and I have all of those set to 100 100 100 100 meaning or hoping it means take whatever is there up to 100%.

I wish I could put individual planets on automation for troops. I don't want troops everywhere and I don't want to micromanage it either. But, if it had some simple commmand for certain planets I would use that. Have it where you can say make me 50 troops here and it will produce up to 50 troops there always. It would be a lot more fun then. As it is now I have to run around gods creation trying to get some troops on my transports.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 13
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/27/2014 6:18:20 PM   
Rising-Sun

The only thing I hate about this game is that when you look on the design or screen that has units, when you hit the name above it, it will put them in different order. Esp the design screen can be annoying trying to find the components, all I can do is save the game and reload. Guess there no default, just have to reload the game so it will be back in proper order, least you know where they are.

Sometimes I mistakenly hit the wrong tab, then the order got all screwed up.

Beside the game still have bugs in it though.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 12/27/2014 7:21:17 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Why does it take so long to load troops and.... - 12/31/2014 4:35:17 AM   
NephilimNexus

Shift + Click -> "Load troops from this planet"

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why does it take so long to load troops and.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI