Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM A test of wills game two over (Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> PBEM A test of wills game two over (Soviets) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM A test of wills game two over (Soviets) - 1/11/2015 2:47:29 PM   
YueJin

There seems to be a lack of detailed AAR's for this wonderful game so I figured I'd try my hand at one, partly in the hope it will get me to think about my play as well.

The Soviet 9th tank Division has been given orders to exploit the bridgehead over the Main River gained so daringly by the desant airborne troops earlier in the day. Only the battered American III armoured division stood between the Russians and an all-out breakthrough towards the Rhine River. The time is 2200 hours on July 22nd, heavy rain is falling and night-time gloom is settling in. The Soviet tankers hoped such conditions would provide good cover for their advance, whilst them Americans had confidence their thermal optic systems would give them the edge in such testing conditions.

The 1st Guards tank regiment would lead the advance from Froschhausen into the woods overlooking Weiskirchen whilst the 1/1321st MRR which has been attached to 1st Guards HQ is set to assault into the centre of town in 30 minutes once the tanks have cleared the road ahead.

The breakout from Heinburg into Klein-Auheim was predicted to be a bloody one by soviet high command 2/1321st MRR were to lead the assault into the town, casualties in this unit are expected to be near catastrophic due to the likelihood of prepared mines and obstacles on the roads and surrounding area. The 1321st’s T-72’s would take position in the woods overlooking the town to hopefully provide suppressing fire onto the defenders of the outskirts. In support of this attack a massive prepared artillery barrage from 12 203mm guns, 24 Gvodzika’s and smoke cover from the vasiliek mortars would come crashing down into the town at the start of the engagement. It was only to be hoped that this would not be wasted ammunition.

The Akatsiya’s were set to lay down minelets on roads is was expected the Americans might use as well as being on call for counterbattery fire against the MRLS’s and M109’s that were known to be in the area.
In the South a small recon detachment was to screen the villages of Dudenhofen and Jugesheim in the hope that they would convince any American units deployed in the area to remain put rather than moving North to where the real fighting would be taking place.

All was now set for the finale of the engagement between 3rd armoured and the 9th Guards that had been unfolding over the last two days.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/18/2015 11:45:05 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/11/2015 3:11:09 PM   
YueJin

The first 20 minutes of the engagement proved to be every bit as brutal as 1st Guards HQ expected.

The opening artillery barrages proved effective knocking out what was presumed to be a number of bradleys in Klein-Auheim. However, disaster struck as the vasilieks ran out of smoke ammunition after the first volley! Their quartermaster has already been returned to the rear for court martial on the charge of gross incompetence. As a result of this 2/1321 was essentially wiped out without offering a shot in return, 36 BTR 60’s and their infantry were either destroyed or rendered inoperable on the minefields. The only bright spot in the north was the destruction of an entire M150 platoon by the T72’s, hopefully clearing the way for the next assault.

In the south, the T-80’s were more fortunate, finding a number of minefields but only 3 had their tracks blown off, none were unrecoverable. Additionally an American forward cavalry scout unit was located and its two bradleys destroyed.

Overall, not much movement made due to the obstacles and mines. The loss of a whole MMR battalion was a horrible loss but not unexpected. With the minefields clear Soviet HQ hoped that with another artillery barrage the next battalion could storm the town.

Current losses read 751 Soviet, 323 American.

Unfortunately it seems I cannot post 'links e-mails or phone numbers' until seven days after my 10th post despite the first picture uploading fine. Could an admin help me out with this or is this AAR a no go until I make 10 posts and wait 7 days?

Edit: It seems I can upload the attachment, I just can't embed it in the post so seems I can carry on, just a bit more clumsily.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/18/2015 11:44:23 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/11/2015 4:15:42 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for the AAR. The days and posts thing is a Matrix anti-spam thing. Sorry that is causing you problems. Always happy to see new AARs!

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/11/2015 4:47:38 PM   
governato

Nice AAR!

I would spread your artillery ASAP though...:)

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/11/2015 11:12:17 PM   
YueJin

The next twenty minutes would prove to Soviet high command that a full breakout in this sector was an impossibility. American armour had not even been encountered yet and already the 9th Guards had suffered over 30% casualties. In less than 40 minutes 21 T-80’s and 12 T-72’s had been knocked out of action entirely by minefields and artillery, almost half the tank force and a third of the MRR was out of commission.

The assault on Weiskirchen has been called off and all units on that axis of attack are seeking shelter and have orders to be constantly moving. The second wave will still go ahead as planned into Klein-Auheim but their objectives are limited to the town outskirts.

I’m essentially playing to try and get a contested battle result now, take one or two objectives, keep most of my force hidden and pound enemy locations with artillery. In one turn of artillery fire almost 50% of my direct fire capability has been destroyed. If I played this scenario again I would take it completely differently sacrificing all recon to clear the minefields/obstacles and spending the first 2-3 hours of the scenario in an artillery bombardment.

Current score reads 2817 Soviet losses to 605 American, both sides kills nearly entirely from artillery. Turns out this might not have been a good scenario to AAR as nearly 40% of my force is gone, there’s a real possibility this could end without me even having seen more than 10 American units.

(The stack on the Weiskirchen road were scheduled to arrive at 10 minute intervals so they wouldn't get strung out but when artillery landed on the first unit they stopped moving and so they all piled up.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/12/2015 10:18:15 AM   
YueJin

With only 26 active tanks remaining 9th Guards was moved to a wholly defensive posture. For the next 4-5 hours an blind artillery bombardment would be laid down and the remnants of the ground forces ordered to dig in at Froschausen and Hainburg. Mines would be laid down to protect the roads into the Main bridgehead in the hope that the Americans would launch their own costly counterattack.

Losses are at 4,571 Soviet (59%) and 1,358 American.

(No luck with counterbattery so far so all artillery has been changed to barrage orders, with some luck they might be able to scrape a tactical or minor defeat).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 10:28:24 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/12/2015 2:59:16 PM   
Mad Russian

Single phase assaults aren't normally a good idea.

This scenario has a very short brutal ending if you simply attack all across the line.

It's been my experience that you have to play the AI as you would a human player to be successful. That means a two prong out of phase attack.

The first attack goes in at a location of your choosing. It leads with it's recon to see what is out there. The other attack location sits and waits. Usually for the amount of time it takes for the first attack to be developing well. Then you launch the other attack. That will normally have enemy forces on the move towards the first attack. It catches some of them out of position and hopefully even some of them out in the open. It would depend on how I felt the day of the attack if I used all my smoke to support the first or the second attack.

In either case, the second attack would be the hammer intended to break the NATO line.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/12/2015 3:59:43 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 7
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/12/2015 5:40:14 PM   
YueJin

The transition to defence went as smoothly as could be expected, nearly all units are now out of sight and the artillery knocked out a number of Bradleys. Only 35% of the original Soviet force remains though so unless the few remaining tanks and the one surviving MRR battalion can knock out around 1,000 points of Americans for no loss this will be a decisive defeat. Not much else to report as little contact has been made.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Single phase assaults aren't normally a good idea.

This scenario has a very short brutal ending if you simply attack all across the line.

It's been my experience that you have to play the AI as you would a human player to be successful. That means a two prong out of phase attack.

The first attack goes in at a location of your choosing. It leads with it's recon to see what is out there. The other attack location sits and waits. Usually for the amount of time it takes for the first attack to be developing well. Then you launch the other attack. That will normally have enemy forces on the move towards the first attack. It catches some of them out of position and hopefully even some of them out in the open. It would depend on how I felt the day of the attack if I used all my smoke to support the first or the second attack.

In either case, the second attack would be the hammer intended to break the NATO line.

Good Hunting.

MR

The problem was this is the first time I've played a map with both minefields and starting artillery. In most maps the NATO artillery arrives from reserves after the tanks are already through the minefields. None of the counters were stacked in the first 20 minutes but artillery still claimed over 30 tanks as they were stuck. As I said if I replayed this map with the prior knowledge of the mine positions I would sacrifice the BRDM recons and probably the BRDM Fagots as the most expendable units to clear the minefields for an attack to go in. My opponent also used his artillery to lay down a secondary minefield making any direct assault suicidal. I feel sacrificing units to clear the minefields and laying down a two hour bombardment on likely rifle/bradley positions would have opened up the game.

It's obvious this map is a very different ball game to most others and requires careful preparation rather than the aggressive sledgehammer needed on other maps to crush existing NATO forces and get into good positions before their reserves arrive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 11:03:00 AM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 8
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/12/2015 6:08:53 PM   
YueJin

A rare taste of success for 9th Guards, brought about as all of the death so far has been, by mines.

A platoon of 4 M1A1's blunders onto one of the minefields laid down by the Akatsiyas (southern minefield) and is wiped out. All we need is one more instance of that and we'll be into the tactical loss region.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 11:03:21 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 9
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/12/2015 11:22:19 PM   
Mad Russian

One thing I learned long ago, in FPC I learn something about the game every single time I play. So, no game play is 'wasted' so to speak.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 10
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/13/2015 10:08:05 AM   
ashandresash

Oh, man. This game really punishes your mistakes, and encourages you to make proper recon tasks.

Good for YueJin, for sharing your experience (and making all of us learn a bit more about Red Storm).

Post #: 11
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/13/2015 10:26:08 AM   
YueJin

Well this defensive lark is going rather well, we lose the last T-72 but claim around fifteen unknown contacts through artillery fire. The minefield in the North (highlighted hex) is triggered and bombarded. The force may be hanging on just above 30% strength but if the remnants can survive a little while longer mines and artillery may make sure there aren't all that many Americans around to retake the bridgehead.

5,320 kills for the Americans, 2,575 for the Soviets now.

As a side note, I'm now getting two turns to every American one as I've not lost any HQ's and whilst some whole units have been removed from the OOB the chain of command is still pretty healthy. I'm guessing some of my blind artillery fire took out a few American HQ's as well. It's allowing for some really responsive artillery fire

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/18/2015 11:44:36 AM >

(in reply to ashandresash)
Post #: 12
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/13/2015 1:17:46 PM   
Alex1812

I have repaired bridge in the North part of the map and now my mobile infantry has a good chance to destroy Soviet artillery

PS. I don't see YueJin's screenshots

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 13
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/13/2015 5:42:40 PM   
YueJin

In a move of great cunning and worthy of admiration, the Americans have repaired the Northern bridge across the Main and have flanked 9th Guards artillery positions. However, the rapidity of the Soviet command structure allowed new orders to be given to the artillery just as their potions were about to be overrun. The final minelet barrage was placed on the road being taken by the one visible mechanized infantry unit and ended up landing right on top of them! Over the next few minutes the entire unit vanished under a cloud of 203mm shells plotted in the hope that the minefield would halt the American infantry.

Unfortunately there is still one relatively untouched mechanised unit within firing range of the artillery and spotting for the American guns. They have 3 minutes before new orders can be relayed to the Soviet artillery, will it be long enough to finish off enough guns to force a Russian retreat?

(minelets are incredibly effective, this should have been the end of my artillery but by plotting minelets in the path of that unit and additional barrages on top of that I could snare and destroy the entire unit. If I wasn't out of them I'd repeat the trick next orders on the other unit.)

Quick question, I know a lot of Soviet guns post WWII kept their direct fire sights, I'm wondering if the 203mm guns in this scenario would have them as they were engaging at a range of less than 500m.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 12:56:28 AM >

(in reply to Alex1812)
Post #: 14
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/13/2015 7:16:12 PM   
YueJin

The artillery does get one final barrage off but American counterbattery fire claim another few guns and pushes us over the 70% losses threshold. The battle ends with 16,711 points for the americans and 3,124 for the Soviets leaving me with 16% and 1% into the decisive defeat bracket.

Looking through the reported kills sheet for the Soviets mines+artillery totalled 75 kills out of 105 total. For the Americans 154 kills of their 286 came from artillery and mines meaning mines+artillery scored 59% of all kills in the game.

The main lesson I'll be taking away from this one is to know if the enemy artillery starts the map deployed, if it does take any route possible to avoid mines, as in this game and in others I'm playing if a unit touches a minefield it WILL be wiped out by artillery in the next 10 minutes, no questions asked. I would suggest that if possible kill markers from mines not be shown as it is immensely powerful soft recon that means for 30 minutes if you fire your artillery at that spot it is guaranteed to hit and kill.

The other thing I'll be trying to do more of is coordinating the artillery barrages with assault using the delay command and tasking multiple batteries to fire smoke due to the risk of running out of smoke rounds if too few batteries are assigned to the task.

Thanks to Alex, my opponent for this game for being prompt with turns, well done to him and I'll try recording another game another day. Let me know what I could do to improve future battle reports and I'll try to use them, not all that experienced in AAR writing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 12:56:20 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 15
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/16/2015 9:55:58 AM   
YueJin

Well I was eager to see if I could apply the lessons learnt from the previous game here so I put up the exact same challenge and what do you know, the exact same opponent accepted so this will really be a test of the new tactics. For the format for this report I’m going to try splitting the 1st Guards tank, the 1321st MRR and the artillery group into their own section to try and give a better idea of the orders I’m issuing.

Deployment and initial orders

1st Guards Tank
The 1st Guards Tank are taking up assault positions on the outskirts of Seligenstadt. Depending on recon findings they will either strike into Weiskirchen or further south at Dudenhofen based on how well obstacle clearing goes and expected resistance at either objective.

1321st MRR
Two battalions of the 1321st are in staging areas around Klein-Krotzenburg and Hainburg. They are looking to either attack Kein-Auheim in overwhelming force after the artillery barrage or alternatively to use the woods for cover and circle around to attack with one battalion from the West if I think the recon elements moving to the crossroads can screen such a move. Once obstacles are clear, the regiment’s attached T-72’s will try to approach the town from the West and take firing positions in the woods around the lake. All of the battalions have two companies further forward and one in reserve in an attempt to make sure they won’t go completely combat ineffective.

Brigade attached artillery group
The artillery is laying down a mixture of suppression and neutralizing fire on the outer hexes of Klein-Auheim, Weiskirchen and Jugesheim. It’s unlikely we’ll send an attack onto the plains in the South but the artillery fire is aimed there to convince the Americans an attack there may be possible.

Ps: fiddling with file names to see if I can beat the image embedding filter, managed to do it for some of the previous game's images but having trouble again.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 10:59:08 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 16
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/16/2015 10:00:29 AM   
YueJin

2228 hours July 22

1st Guards Tank
No action to report here, units hold their position and await scouting reports, one minefield and several obstacles have been found in the central sector

1321st MRR
Again not much happening the North, forward recon elements are clearing obstacles to the East.

Artillery fire claims a couple of enemy APCs (since I have 89 points for two kills I'm guessing bradleys) however one battery of Akatsiya's takes five losses to enemy ICM counterbattery fire (that's something I've never seen or been able to do before). Due to this artillery units are moving onto open ground where they can shoot and scoot better and are only receiving two fire missions rather than three in the hope of better dodging counterbattery.

Points wise I'm up 89 to 69 but it is of course early yet. 9:32 still remains to be fought out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/16/2015 11:28:21 AM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 17
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/16/2015 10:51:11 PM   
YueJin

2321 hours July 22

1st Guards tank
Obstacles to the West are clear and within the next 30 minutes a final decision will be made on whether the T-80's will push West or South based on reconnaissance reports.

1321st MRR
Forward recon elements of the 1321st encounter a patrol of 2 US bradleys and their cavalry scout infantry. One bradley and its infantry is destroyed for the loss of two BRM Korshuns and one BRDM Fagot. Artillery is tasked to finish off the threat as it must be destroyed before seeing the following T-72's which are advancing to their jump off positions in the woods.

Thankfully no more counter-battery losses (although that may be due to the lack of fire from my side). Vasilieks continue suppressive fire on the outskirts of major VP towns. 3 batteries are tasked with taking out the last of the American scout unit whilst others either remain on counter-battery (might stop bothering with this as no CB shots have been fired at all so far in the last two games despite enemy artillery firing heavily and multiple batteries being placed on it.) Or completing shoot and scoot moves.

Current kills are 126 American and 143 Soviet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 18
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 1:34:40 AM   
Mad Russian

Much better use of your recon elements this go round. This should have the American a bit worried at this point in the game. You aren't just charging forward on all fronts but picking selected parts of his line and will hit them with the steamroller.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 19
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 11:32:32 AM   
YueJin

2346 hours July 22nd

After two hours of probing and manoeuvring Soviet command has issued orders for units to move to their final jump off points before the attack.

1st Guards tank

The strike from the T-80's of 1st Guards will land not at Weiskirchen as originally planned but further South at Dudenhofen. The first factor leading to this decision was the lack of fire directed at the BRDMs down there which have reconnoitred the edges of the forest. Secondly additional minefield barrages were observed dropping down on the road to Weiskirchen meaning that any assault along that road would require at least an extra hour of clearing minefields and moving into position. Thirdly, a small valley in the South has been spotted (around the 1,500 VP next to the K174 mark) and soviet tanks would be able to burst from the woods into this and use it as cover to assault directly into Dudenhofen. Additionally, one battalion of the 1321st MRR has been reassigned to 1st Guards command and will strike into Jugesheim from the woods to the North, hopefully pinning any defenders there and cutting off the road for any reinforcements from Weiskirchen.

1321st MRR

A serious annoyance has occured in the North. Whilst T-72's were moving towards their starting locations for the assault a minefield barrage was placed in the road ahead of them. Despite recon spotting the position of the mines, one T-72 company ploughs straight into it (I thought units could adjust their course to take spotted obstacles into account? If not they really should.) The chances are high that NATO artillery will now bombard this spot and wipe out the entire company (pretty much resigned to losing all 13 T-72's here over the next 30 mins while they try and clear it)

In light of this and the decision for 1st Guards to strike South, the ultimate destination for the 1321st has been changed. It is assumed that Klein-Auheim will be a fortress town by now, well defended by dug in infantry, so it is going to be bypassed. The 1321st will take up positions along the N45 and then strike in an offensive going off at the same time as 1st Guards not East, but West into Obertshausen aiming to find American HQ's, Artillery and tanks rather than fortified infantry positions. Once a gap at Obertshausen is spotted, remaining recon elements and BRDM Fagots will break through and begin scouring the countryside for the American artillery.

3 203mm guns were lost to counter-battery despite the measures of being on ground allowing for easy movement and only firing one salvo. None of our guns fired in counter-battery. All artillery is going dark now until 30 minutes before the assault when they will open up once more. In the likely vain hope of them ever taking a shot at American artillery all batteries are placed on CB orders but expectations are low.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 4:07:11 PM   
YueJin

Preface to this post, after the last turn my morale is at a crippling low so I may sound very pessimistic.

0128 hours July 23rd

1st Guards tank
The forward recon BRDM team runs into a unit of cavalry scouts and is destroyed. Two of the T-80 companies also make contact before their paths can be changed and destroy the American recon team and most of a unit of M150's. However, the American MRLS then turns on them and wipes out both units with it's 3 volleys. 19 T-80's are left destroyed, 2 from the M150's 17 from the MRLS. The two remaining T-80 companies are moving to hide in the deep south of the map, maybe over the next few hours they can skirt the edges and try to hunt the artillery but it is now obvious that if a unit is spotted even for a split second, they will be annihilated with no traces left. When your enemy has a weapon that can wipe out 10 tanks in a single shot the only recourse is not to allow him to use it. The attached MRR Battalion is still planning for its assault on Jugesheim but without T-80 support they will have little chance and I may cancel it although their only other options are to sit there and be bombarded by blind artillery fire or to retreat and play no further part in the battle.

1321st MRR
The T-72's are in position and the attached MRR battalion will be shortly. They have not yet been detected however, after seeing the fate of the T-80's the only outcome I can see for this assault is another 30 tanks destroyed by MRLS fire for little reward.

To anyone please help, what on earth can I do to counter the MRLS, it wipes whole tank companies out in one barrage, 12 batteries on CB orders haven't fired a single shot against it and the only option I can think of is sneaking a recon unit through a gap to find it but that would likely take up most of the remaining scenario time.

Edit: I played this scenario against the AI just to get a feel for how the Americans worked on this map. After the first two turns (53 minutes) I had 3,640 kills to 0 losses. The American artillery on this map is incredibly powerful. The capability of dropping extra minefields, all artillery having access to ICM's and the low visibility playing right into NATO's thermal sights make this a truly terrifying proposition for a Soviet player in a PBEM game. The AI doesn't use its artillery as well as a human does so I've taken a tactical victory against the AI here but I fear it may be a long time before I can take a human on this scenario.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/17/2015 5:41:47 PM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 21
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 5:17:47 PM   
YueJin

0154 hours July 23rd

1st Guards Tank

The officer who ordered the cowardly action of retreating South has been summarily executed and his deputy, filled with patriotism has taken command and ordered the resumption of the assault. 1st Guards would take Dudenhofen and Jugesheim or perish in the attempt. At exactly 3:20, both the remaining T-80 companies and the MRR battalion to the North would burst from the treeline and storm the towns under the cover of smoke which would be laid down 5 minutes before the advance.

1321st MRR

Orders for the assault into Obertshausen are now finalised. The T-72's would hit the outskirts at 3:20, acting in concert with 1st Guards further South. The hope was that the American artillery would only be able to destroy one attack and the other would press forward and capture ground. The two MRR battalions are now both tasked with joining the assault on the town and would follow 20 minutes after the T-72's to secure the ground.

Enemy counter-battery fire has died down, I expect they are reloading after savaging 1st Guards. We claimed another couple of APC's although bradleys or M113's is unknown.

Edit: Not worth an update since the only thing that happened next turn was the MRLS wiping out a full 8 Akatsiya's in one barrage from counter-battery fire.

Kills are 1,801 American to 512 Soviet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/17/2015 7:29:08 PM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 22
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 6:59:24 PM   
YueJin

0313 July 23rd

1st Guards Tank

The assault to Dudenhofen progresses well so far, the 20 remaining T-80's are racing through the valley and will soon hit the town and its defenders. A company of four M1A1 abrams have been spotted moving in the southern part of Jugesheim. If we can catch them in an exposed posture it could be a great chance. The MRR battalion is about to make its assault but will only have support for the battalion mortars as divisional artillery is under attack.

1321st MRR

The T-72's of the 1321st have begun their assault and have spotted American mechanised infantry and a company of 4 M1A1s. A bradley has already been destroyed by a Svir missile and BRDM Fagots are moving up in support.

Two companies of mechanised infantry and a company of M1A1s have made themselves known arriving from ambush to attack the artillery group. The tanks and one infantry group are snared by mines and suffer casualties whilst the BRM Korshuns of the artillery HQ battle off the one still mobile. The two T-80's of battlegroup HQ also acquit themselves well but are now moving to the rear.

This might seem like a disaster but it is in fact the opposite. The absence of two companies of bradley equipped infantry and a tank company gives the assaults of 1st Guards and the 1321st a much greater chance of success. If the artillerymen must lay down their lives then so be it. Also if the MRLS chooses the fire at the artillery rather than my tanks I will be dancing for joy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/17/2015 7:59:33 PM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 23
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 7:38:15 PM   
YueJin

American artillery wipes out all 30 T-72 in two volleys. Nothing more need be said.

I'll write up the conclusion to this farce later but I'm utterly sick of the MRLS. It takes 6-10 tanks out in one volley, gets three of them a turn and as far as I can tell hasn't had to reload yet. Not going to write any more tonight as I'm feeling a bit heated about it but the battle is to all intents and purposes over.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 24
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 7:54:24 PM   
Mad Russian

If you are going to play with the Soviets you will have to learn to counter NATO's firepower. They can't take losses at a 1:1 trade off or they lose immediately.

There is a reason that both sides developed the MRL's.

All systems in the game have to reload.

It will be interesting to see what your opponent has to say about the game at this point. It looked to me like you were getting ready to put a hard pincer hit on the main objective area that he would have a hard time countering. Your artillery should then have come into play.

As a Soviet commander I am often skirting the 70% loss mark to keep fighting and force NATO into a close range fight where I can do damage to them as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/17/2015 8:56:49 PM >

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 25
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/17/2015 8:01:44 PM   
YueJin

I am open to any suggestions about how to counter the MRLS. I had Edit: it was only 3-6 at any one time batteries on counter battery orders while it fired away. Not one shot was fired at it. The time between my tanks being spotted and obliterated was approximately 10 minutes. An order cycle is 24 on this map with no HQ's lost so ordering them to break contact is futile.

I could have spent several hours of in game time probing with BRDMs and BRMs to try and find a blind spot to sneak one through and spot it for manual counterbattery but that would have taken at least 4 hours of in game time or half the scenario.

If there is some way to neuter it's firepower somewhat I would seriously love to know, it was firing at units in 90% cover and achieving 10/10 tank kills, if it's lucky enough to fire at a pair of stacked units it wipes them both out.

As I said I tried this scenario from the American side against the AI and won without taking a single casualty. Not one hair on an american infantryman's head was disturbed. I'll be putting out a couple of challenges where I play this map from the NATO side to see if someone can show me the way by swapping sides.

< Message edited by YueJin -- 1/18/2015 11:43:38 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/18/2015 10:44:05 AM   
YueJin

Unfortunately I forgot to take a screenshot of the final positions but the Scenario is over, remaining forces on my side were one MRR battalion, 4 T-72's, 10 T-80's and 6 artillery batteries all tanks were out of ammo.

The enemy was entrenched a lot more strongly around Obersthausen than I'd expected and that recon had suggested. Because the T-72's had to assault out of a woods hex they were open to artillery fire for 5-10 minutes before they could get into the city and this resulted in 26/30 being destroyed in the one hex between the woods and the city. The T-80's in the South did manage to reach their target hexes and destroy one M1A1 and force enemy infantry to retreat but with only two companies left after the MRLS fire they were limited in what they could do.

As for what I could do differently next time I'll have to try getting the T-80's and T-72's to attack the same objective, most likely a pincer attack on Klein-Auheim in the North with a MRR battalion repairing once of the bridges to come from the East as well then once that was taken they could use the good forested and city terrain in the North to hit the 2,000 point objective right at the top of the map.

I will give this another try as pact and write up a full report but that won't be for some time. I'll be playing a few other scenarios including this one as NATO and will put up a final score-sheet for that one. Hope you enjoyed reading this.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 27
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/18/2015 11:56:58 AM   
Mad Russian

The scenarios are probably tougher as the Soviet player just because NATO has more force multipliers. But they have fewer people and that's where the issues come in. Putting your artillery under the direction of the Fire Control Center also ensures that when HQ and Artillery positions are discovered they get top priority from your own artillery.

The Soviet Art of War believes in mass. Which has large numbers of tanks leading an attack to get in close. A long range duel is not a good situation for the Soviets to be in. Check the War Room for suggestions on how to play each side. Of course, each scenario is different, especially the terrain. As the Soviets the biggest thing in your favor is distance. The closer you get the better off you are. To include being in the same location as the enemy units.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 28
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/18/2015 12:04:53 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: YueJin

If there is some way to neuter it's firepower somewhat I would seriously love to know, it was firing at units in 90% cover and achieving 10/10 tank kills, if it's lucky enough to fire at a pair of stacked units it wipes them both out.
he NATO side to see if someone can show me the way by swapping sides.

Do you have a save game file for the MRL attacks?

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 29
RE: PBEM A test of wills (Soviets) - 1/18/2015 12:35:42 PM   
Alex1812

YueJin was not lucky in our game. The large stacks of Soviet troops (2 tanks companies in the same hex) fell under MRL fire twice

And here is my brave, but unsuccessful attack from southern position to Seligenstadt bridge. Two platoons and company HQ go away

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> PBEM A test of wills game two over (Soviets) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI