Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 1:29:22 PM   
m10bob

Actor John Wayne purchased the old minesweeper YMS 328 and had it converted into a yacht he called the "Wild Goose"..

http://megayachtnews.com/2011/08/john-wayne-megayacht-wild-goose/

http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/19328.htm

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 1/15/2015 2:38:21 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 1:57:37 PM   
dr.hal

He should have replaced the bow deck gun with a big sixshooter!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 3:36:15 PM   
Symon

Very nice Bob. I remember the “Goose”. We would bring the boat up from Dana Point to do the Sunkist Series and would always do the Friday night beercans. The start was at the head of the Bay, by the Rusty Pelican; you reach down to the channel marker at the Corona bend and then beat back. You pass the Goose (Hornblower docks) coming and going, and there was almost always a lift at the Lower Bay corner, at Wayne’s old house.

Sad to say, his original, rambling, comfortable, and very pretty, property was sold to a “nouveau” and in 2002, it was demo’d and rebuilt into a typical SoCal, neo-ostentatious, my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours, money temple, travesty; they even took down his flagpole. And totally screwed up the righteous breeze in the corner. But the Goose was still there when I left, and still doing tours.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 6:02:31 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Very nice Bob. I remember the “Goose”. We would bring the boat up from Dana Point to do the Sunkist Series and would always do the Friday night beercans. The start was at the head of the Bay, by the Rusty Pelican; you reach down to the channel marker at the Corona bend and then beat back. You pass the Goose (Hornblower docks) coming and going, and there was almost always a lift at the Lower Bay corner, at Wayne’s old house.

Sad to say, his original, rambling, comfortable, and very pretty, property was sold to a “nouveau” and in 2002, it was demo’d and rebuilt into a typical SoCal, neo-ostentatious, my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours, money temple, travesty; they even took down his flagpole. And totally screwed up the righteous breeze in the corner. But the Goose was still there when I left, and still doing tours.

In the early days of google maps you could still see his old property adjacent to the water...but, yes, I had heard the same as you just stated..Some folks have neither taste nor imagination..That house might have been a money maker...and the current property owner could have still had his overgrown outhouse elsewhere..

More trivia....Eastwood did his film "Bridges Of Madison County" in Winterset Iowa where Duke was born...Clint was a true JW fan, approached Duke once to do a movie with him..
Wayne responded that Clint had already "made his reputation" with bloody movies..(Dirty Harry series), and Wayne felt making a film with Eastwood might make Duke's fans think he was giving approval to the added gore.

Here is Duke's old home near where he kept the "Wild Goose" berthed.
The film was never made..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 1/15/2015 7:07:19 PM >

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 4
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 7:06:08 PM   
Symon

Oh, gosh, my friend. That's the 2002 joke. But they insist on calling it John Wayne's house. The property is, but the house isn't.

Here's what it looked like at the time of his death, and for about 19 years after, till the jerk-pimple got hold of it.

His kids had the house for a while and kept it staffed and maintained. To get the lift, you had to dig deep, scary deep. Couple times there were people on the lawn watching the races that obviously knew about boats and lifts and knocks; we dug in hard and they were going "hoot, hoot, hoot" at us. We went scary deep and then did a perfect snap tack right in front of them. Doff the cap, do a bow, let them see our YC burgee. Life was fun back then.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Symon -- 1/15/2015 11:09:16 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/15/2015 11:14:58 PM   
zuluhour

Simple jerk pimple....

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 6
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/16/2015 1:13:21 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Oh, gosh, my friend. That's the 2002 joke. But they insist on calling it John Wayne's house. The property is, but the house isn't.

Here's what it looked like at the time of his death, and for about 19 years after, till the jerk-pimple got hold of it.

His kids had the house for a while and kept it staffed and maintained. To get the lift, you had to dig deep, scary deep. Couple times there were people on the lawn watching the races that obviously knew about boats and lifts and knocks; we dug in hard and they were going "hoot, hoot, hoot" at us. We went scary deep and then did a perfect snap tack right in front of them. Doff the cap, do a bow, let them see our YC burgee. Life was fun back then.

Thank you John for the correction...This sure looks more like Dukes' home...The one I provided looks more like it was made for some A&P gypsys...LOL

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 7
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/16/2015 5:33:43 PM   
geofflambert

Watch this, it's hysterical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dgm_MQgIUg

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/18/2015 2:54:37 AM   
1EyedJacks

John on the Wild Goose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdU1bJSq7Y

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/23/2015 12:22:38 AM   
czert2

edited out.

< Message edited by czert2 -- 1/23/2015 1:24:50 AM >

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 10
RE: Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. - 1/23/2015 11:32:44 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks for Posting this link. I watched the video and then watched 4-5 more with him at the Oscars, with Bob Hope, and a few other interviews just prior to his death.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Trivia:John Wayne' s yacht. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI