Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best settings for AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Best settings for AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best settings for AI? - 1/1/2015 2:32:52 PM   
golden delicious

I recently bought this game having played the previous incarnation.

I played through the Grand Campaign as the Allies on what I think is the highest difficulty setting (set to hard for me and easy for the computer), yet apart from one or two hairy moments the campaign was still pretty easy. Perhaps it's just pure hindsight in that I was able to focus on Nijmegen and Arnhem bridges more than historical but still, I'm wondering if there's some setting which might actually present a challenge?

In particular, is there anything that will mitigate the AI's problems with attacking? They seem to either pointlessly rush me and get slaughtered or take twenty minutes to get around to probing my position held by eight men and an old dog.

I've enjoyed playing but with the above problems it is not as satisfying as I would like.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 1/1/2015 3:34:18 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Post #: 1
RE: Best settings for AI? - 1/1/2015 5:20:45 PM   
Tejszd

For the highest difficulty you are correct you need to set;
Yourself = Elite
AI = Recruit

It will give you less points/support/units and the AI more in addition the time to setup the bridges for demolition will be reduced.

You should play with the time set to 15 or 20 minutes so that yourself and the AI can not just sit hoping for the other side to attack (as the attacker usually takes more casualties).

After that you can impose some constraints on yourself by not using support; air, artillery and mortar or use just the units your given (do not swap units in/out).

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 1/1/2015 6:25:45 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 2
RE: Best settings for AI? - 1/1/2015 6:20:38 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

For the highest difficulty you are correct you need to set;
Yourself = Elite
AI = Recruit

It will give you less points/support/units and the AI more in addition the time to setup the bridges for demolition will be reduced.

You should play with the time set to 15 or 20 minutes so that yourself and the AI can not just sit hoping for the other side to attack (as the attacker usually takes more casualties).

Yeah. These are the settings I used.

quote:

After that you can impose some constraints on yourself by not using support; air, artillery and mortar or use just the units your given (do not swap units in/out).

What about giving the AI access to some of the "cheat" settings, such as full visibility of enemy units? Would that make a difference to their performance?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 3
RE: Best settings for AI? - 1/3/2015 9:05:35 PM   
SteveMcClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
What about giving the AI access to some of the "cheat" settings, such as full visibility of enemy units? Would that make a difference to their performance?

Yes, letting the AI see your units at all times will change how it behaves. But it also eliminates any chance you have to sneak around in concealing terrain like trees or brush (terrain that blocks sight but not line of fire.)

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Best settings for AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI