Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carry over from one theme to another. Why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Carry over from one theme to another. Why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carry over from one theme to another. Why? - 2/24/2015 3:18:13 PM   
Weaselstein

I have been quite enjoying all the mods that have been posted on the forum here, but I have had an odd thing occurring. When I switch from one theme to another, for example from Star Trek the Picard Era to Beyond Extended, some elements from the first mod seem to carry over into the next. I know DWU has a system where if a theme doesn't change something it fills in with the default files and settings from the Default theme, but when I change themes the game seems to remember bits and pieces from the previous custom theme. Has anyone else had this happen to them? One specific example of what I am talking about is from the above mentioned transition. The Silver Mist in my Beyond Extended game will carry the mantle of The Crystalline Entity and the pirate factions will be things like Species 8472 and Maquis. I'm not sure whether these carry overs are just cosmetic or something more. Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Carry over from one theme to another. Why? - 2/24/2015 8:02:51 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Weaselstein;
To help avoid the 'bleedover' (as I call it) do the following:
1. In your 'Your Local Drive'\Users\My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe\ folder find
the file named "GameSummaries" and delete it (the next game you start will regenerate it)
2. When changing themes/mods, I find it useful to exit the mod you're done playing, load the
'Default' theme, then select the other mod you wish to start.

I believe this resets the pointers correctly in the games executable file and also clears the
info from the previous mods' GameText file (since Elliot made that moddable). I've noted that
some crashdump and error messages suggest this procedure as well.

Also, as I've seen of late, some themes have modified certain items that are mentioned as not
moddable in Elliot's modding guide (such as nebulae). Although things may work initially, it's
not unusual to see intermittent crashes later in the game. Just my observances. Hope this helps!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Weaselstein)
Post #: 2
RE: Carry over from one theme to another. Why? - 2/24/2015 8:14:00 PM   
Weaselstein

Thank you very much. I was not even aware of the GameSummaries file. I have been observing you second suggestion since I notice the bleedover issue, but I have been doing it long enough to see how effective just doing that is. I will follow both your suggestions in the future.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Carry over from one theme to another. Why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI