Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much minor ship damage do you accept?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How much minor ship damage do you accept? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 12:20:50 PM   
jwolf

Beginning player here. Your ships in a TF have completed some assignment or patrol and returned to port with a few points of system and/or engine damage. Do you send them right out again (assuming they are needed for something) or is it worth it to wait 5-10 days (seems typical) to get the damage repaired?
Post #: 1
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 1:10:28 PM   
Jim D Burns

There is no hard and fast rule to go by, you have to make the call on a case by case basis. A resupply convoy can wait a week or two unless the base it is going to resupply is in desperate need of supplies right away. Surface fleets may be needed to oppose invasions right away then again perhaps you’d rather wait till the enemy fleets depart and bombard instead with ships in tip top shape, so it's all situation dependant and the reasoning/judgments behind your decisions is what the game is all about.

I’d say anything less than 10 system damage and you might consider sending them back out if the need is great, though if they are near the 10 level you would need some careful thought put into the decision. Any greater than 10 and the damage itself is probably going to cost you if they get into a fight so get repairs done. Of course any flood damage at all should be repaired ASAP.

Jim

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 1:45:06 PM   
Mundy

That's probably the one thing I get fussy about.  I'll always wrap up any damage before sending ships (and subs) out again.

Emergencies happen though, so sometimes repairs have to wait.

In the real war, ships didn't run like a 24/7 conveyor belt.  They did spend a lot of time at anchor.  This is probably just my way of trying to be real.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 3
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 1:45:21 PM   
blueatoll

I agree about anything less than 10 system damage on warships although it is a good idea to see if that means any weapons/radar systems are offline. As for engine damage, it all depends. I've seen 2 points of engine damage drop a ship's speed and I've seen 10 points of engine damage have no visible effects on anything.

I try and keep all damage down to a minimum whenever possible but I also put big ARs very far forward, sometimes to very bad result.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 4
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 2:02:15 PM   
crsutton

take a torpedo hit and that 10 sys can become 60 quite fast. Then that 10 points of sys might make the difference between sinking and getting home. So unless there is some sort of emergency I let them sit until the sys damage is back to zero.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 5
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 2:27:36 PM   
bush

I baby my ships (and planes also). Slight damage to ships gets fixed and slight morale/fatigue to planes and they stand down. However, I find that I push my "poor, bloody infantry" to extremes. I think part of the reason for that is that it seems to take them far longer to recover from disruption/fatigue/morale issues than the knights of the air.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 4:22:40 PM   
dr.hal

I guess that in truth this is very situational, depending upon your tactical and strategic needs. I always try to eliminate damage if time will allow. Keeping your ships in good shape can only be to your advantage. However if NEED dictates then get them back to sea no matter what.

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 7
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 4:55:36 PM   
rockmedic109

Unless the need is absolutely dire, 10 is a hard limit for me. I believe that once Sys damage gets above 10, the DL of the ship {and tf it is in} goes up. They usually head in for repairs long before then.

My subs will frequently run up to around 8, but I try to get them into the bodyshop at any higher. I'll usually let them finish their patrol.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/2/2015 5:25:40 PM   
IdahoNYer

Mission requirements drive my answer - so it varies. When I can, 10sys is the limit for warships. But, when the needs arise, I'll send ships back out to the fight with less than 20, or keep subs on patrol with under 20.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 9
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/3/2015 1:50:10 AM   
wneumann

I'll repair any ship arriving a port regardless of damage level if I have the available port facilities and time to do so (rarely do you not have the time for simple repairs). Nearly all minor damage is easily handled within 1-2 days in pierside repair mode and can be done at almost any friendly base with a port - the vast majority of non-major damage repair not requiring use of a shipyard, AR or naval support elements.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 10
RE: How much minor ship damage do you accept? - 3/3/2015 2:23:40 AM   
Zigurat666

If your Castor Troy probably a lot. The KB has been sailing around non-stop for over a month now. :)
I estimate they have around 10-15 system damage each.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How much minor ship damage do you accept? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI