Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone interested in me updating GoA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Anyone interested in me updating GoA? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/16/2011 6:30:18 PM   
FrankHunter

Hi all, as its now been 4 years since this title was released and almost 2 years since I've done anything on it, I was wondering if there is any interest in me doing an update?

I know there's a few minor bugs that I could take a stab at. And I could set it up to take advantage of Slitherine's PBEM system. Other than those I couldn't think of anything else.

If anyone has any suggestions or bugs or stuff like that, I'd like to hear them.

Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/16/2011 9:14:40 PM   
fthein

I notice with the latest patches that the british ai has problems to move his troops to the front. The ai send a few corps to France but then they are not moved out of french ports to the frontline. In the unpatched version this doesn´t happen. So if you can change this this would be nice.

Btw: How is the current status of your other projects Frank?

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/16/2011 9:18:46 PM   
FrankHunter

fthein, so the British AI never moves those units off of French ports or is it just delayed in doing so?

One of the new games should be starting its beta-testing any day now and another will start its testing right after that I assume.

(in reply to fthein)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/16/2011 9:53:57 PM   
fthein

The british ai sends a few corps to Brest and then he moves one corps to the front. The other corps stayed in Brest. Then it could happen that the ai will send this single corps back from the frontline to Cherbourg.
I can send you a savegame of my last game where you can notice it. Hit end turn and the british ai move his corps north-east of Rouen back to Cherbourg. And his other corps stays in Brest. Also he don´t move his HQ´s and Artillery to France.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

One of the new games should be starting its beta-testing any day now and another will start its testing right after that I assume.

Can you already reveal the theme of the two new games or is it a secret?

Post #: 4
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/16/2011 10:13:33 PM   
FrankHunter

I will get that saved game from you when I have Guns of August set back up in my development environment.

The new games are Piercing Fortress Europa (divisional WW2 game covering, in separate scenarios, the 1943-45 campaign in Italy and the 1944-45 campaign in France and across the Rhine). Its entering beta-test very soon.

and Campaigns on the Elbe, a new game using the Campaigns on the Danube system.

(in reply to fthein)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/17/2011 8:44:48 AM   
ham17

I have a suggestion that it boosts threat of U-boats .

and I have a high expectation of your new projects.

Post #: 6
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 1:50:43 AM   
SMK-at-work

YES PLEASE! :)

There are still some bugs - CP don't get notified about any ships being sunk & some British units remain based in Alexandria if it falls for example.

Also some minor technical improvements such as the ability to "back out" of selecting a saved file if you've selected the wrong one, rather than having to go to task manager to close down GoA.

And if you could improve the naval display that would be fantastic - something like a window that shows how many ships you have in each sea sector on which missions would solve a lot of problems ppl have with naval.

And also....just off the top of my head you understand...;)...I think the Brits should be allowed to rebase naval units from India if the Mid-east falls. I may have it wrong hat they can't...as it doesn't happen all that often.

Post #: 7
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 3:53:10 AM   
Ralph1961

Hi Frank glad to hear that you still support GOA.
I played awhile back against the AI and if I recall the British AI seemed to send lots of troops to Greece and they just sat there.
Also it seems that at times TE and CP units remain stacked in the same hex for a couple of turns, is this some type of a contested hex rule?
A suggestion would be to allow players to go back to an air recon hex and check trench values etc. during the same phase. I have forgot exactly what I am against in a particular hex and the game doesn't reveal the info to me again.Also pbem players can reload turns, I take it that the pbem system that you mentioned could control that?
Last thing that I can think of tonight is a revised manual to help new players along with a little more in depth info of what goes on under the hood.
Looking forward to your new games, GOA is the only game I have that you designed butI like it, not too complex but it really makes you think.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 11:17:48 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralph Harper

Also it seems that at times TE and CP units remain stacked in the same hex for a couple of turns, is this some type of a contested hex rule?

I can answer that one - yes it is :) Occasionally you get that - both sides can put reinforcements into the hex without needing to activate them.

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 7:02:16 PM   
jcrohio

I would be very interested - played a while ago and really enjoyed it

Jack

Post #: 10
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 8:17:16 PM   
FrankHunter

Yes, hexes with both sides in it are part of the design, they're "contested hexes" and both sides can reinforce them without using an activation. A good use for the seldom-used "withdraw" order. The idea was to allow you to cycle out depleted units and in with fresh ones.

The interface will probably have to be changed as I no longer have that button/panel package. Well, I still have the old one but I haven't updated it since so it will no longer compile. But I'll figure out what to do about that.

Ralph, players can reload PBEM turns but they don't gain from it as they don't see the resolution until they get the files back. Am I misunderstanding?

Has anyone had any compatibilty problems with Vista or Windows 7?

I will put together a long list of all the outstanding issues that have popped up over the last two years and then get to work on it.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/18/2011 9:32:10 PM   
vharpley

Frank,

Great to hear you are back workinh on GOA. I would like to see an updated version - consider this post a Yes vote.

Thank You

Post #: 12
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/19/2011 1:19:14 AM   
Ralph1961

What I meant about reloading a turn is that you can use air recon to check every enemy hex!!! Only have a couple of recon points, no problem just reload a few times to determine the hex you want to attack, barrage, etc. I never do that when I pbem but I discovered it by accident a year or more ago.

(in reply to vharpley)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/19/2011 9:35:40 AM   
mgarnett

A new patch fixing any remaining issues would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/19/2011 11:32:41 AM   
ulver

One request here. It would be really nice if there was some way of telling what theater a hex belonged for purposes of allocating air points.   This is a brilliant game. I always come back to it. Wish there was a way to get it some more publicity. Still believe it is the best WWI game out there

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 15
Update - Go fo it! - 9/19/2011 4:41:31 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Hi all, as its now been 4 years since this title was released and almost 2 years since I've done anything on it, I was wondering if there is any interest in me doing an update?

Juhu Frank Hunter,

great that you're back!

I have bought Guns August 1914 - 1918 a few months ago.

No question GoA is a small, brilliant game!

Unfortunately, it still contains some bugs.
Eliminate the bugs and maybe a few improvements here and there - that would be fantastic!

So my official answer - yes, I am interested that GoA is updatet.

And I thank you - for GoA and the resurgent support.

Post #: 16
RE: Update - Go fo it! - 9/20/2011 3:35:36 AM   
Hanal

Glad to see you back Frank and I would very much like to see GOA get a jump start....looking forward to see your new titles as well...I just bookmarked the GOA forum page onto my desktop so that I can easily come back here as it being buried in the depths of the forum tends to cause one to forget to check more frequently...

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 9/20/2011 3:39:57 AM >

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 17
RE: Update - Go fo it! - 9/20/2011 7:30:39 AM   
FrankHunter

Thanks for all of your replies guys. I'd like to return to WW1 and I'd like to update GoA so I will fix the outstanding bugs and see what I can do about making other changes and upgrades. Anything you guys want tme to look at or consider just post it here and I will make a note of it. I already have most of the bugs I think as I've looked around the forum plus I have SMk's emails.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 18
RE: Update - Go fo it! - 9/21/2011 4:10:44 AM   
Ralph1961

Outstanding!!!
I look forward to the new titles that you are working on.

Post #: 19
RE: Update - Go fo it! - 9/21/2011 7:06:35 AM   
SMK-at-work

One bug I'm not sure has been mentioned recently - if you respond to the question at the end of the movement phase "Have you issued all your orders?" (or something like that), with "NO" - ie you want to do something else - it often (always??) does some kind of weird turn - all the units disappear, it moves stuff apparently using the AI for both sides, has combat, does the other side's turn.....haven't seen it for a while 'cos I don't say "No" any more....

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 20
RE: Update - Go fo it! - 9/21/2011 10:49:57 AM   
ulver

With my experience from this game I can pretty much guaranty that I’ll be buying any future games from Frank Hunter. Naturally Guns of August II would be the ideal but on the other hand I don’t really know how the basic concept can be improved. The simplicity is part of the appeal. Support after 4 years is just outstanding.

Post #: 21
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 9/21/2011 12:56:23 PM   
Sloburn

I still regularly play GoA by e-mail with a friend so I would love to see an new update fixing some of the known issues.

Just to answer a question that Frank asked earlier: I've been running GoA on Vista for a couple of years now without any problems at all.

Post #: 22
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 10/16/2011 2:48:26 PM   
paulk205

GoA is a nice little game that is always a pleasure to play. There are two rebalancing issues that I would like to see. As it is, if the CPs decide to go East they can hardly ever lose because the British don't pull their weight in the West. On the other hand, the U-Boat threat is completely non-existent. It should be possible to threaten Britain with starvation if Germany go all-out on that front.

So:

(1) Get Britain to shoulder more of the load in the West after 1916 and be aggressive

(2) Make U-Boats more effective, so as to really make the ASW advances necessary for Allied survival.

(in reply to Sloburn)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 10/18/2011 5:56:12 AM   
SMK-at-work

Paulk are you talking about vs the AI??

As a player you can do a lot of damage with Uboats by building several more, and setting them to unrestricted warfare.

(in reply to paulk205)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 10/21/2011 6:41:21 AM   
arichbourg

I just reloaded this on my PC after not thinking about it for about 3 years. My only question regarding an update is are the Greeks still using Dutch icons?

Post #: 25
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 11/7/2011 5:16:48 PM   
jscott991

Although I didn't really like this game (no ability to simulate the Schlieffen plan because of slow CP movement and overpowered Belgian army; way too many Russian corps in the first part of the war, forcing the CP to defend a continuous front when, in fact, the eastern front was confined to a limited area in 1914; and a very hard to understand first turn), I just reinstalled it on my PCs to give it another go since Victoria II isn't all that hoped for and World War One Gold doesn't seem quite the thing.

Is there any chance an update could address the Russian blob issue in 1914?

< Message edited by jscott991 -- 11/7/2011 5:17:07 PM >

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 11/11/2011 3:50:29 AM   
Ralph1961

I have found something interesting...It seems that Calvary can advance into an enemy unit occupied hex if it only has a Calvary unit in it even if you don't scout the hex. Is this a bug? Its an easy way to find that the enemy only has Calvary in a hex making it easy to punch holes in a thin line.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 11/11/2011 11:30:54 PM   
SMK-at-work

Which version are you playing?  That sounds like an early iteration of what Cavalry could do??

The current system is, or should be, that Cv can only advance into an enemy owned hex if they start in a hex with an infantry corps of their own side and the enemy hex is clear terrain - it doesn't' matter what troops are in it.

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 11/14/2011 1:13:43 AM   
Ralph1961

I am playing the latest version. I noticed in a pbem game that my Calvary could attack hexes with enemy units in them, after investigating I noticed they were enemy Calvary. Maybe Frank can test this out.

Post #: 29
RE: Anyone interested in me updating GoA? - 11/15/2011 5:32:01 AM   
SMK-at-work

I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is - are you saying you can attack enemy hexes when your cavalry dos not start stacked with your own infantry??

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Anyone interested in me updating GoA? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI