Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
artillery - 3/29/2015 4:34:03 PM   
Duck Doc

Tactical level? Does this mean there is ability of artillery to appropriately choose shot, shell, canister or model these effects automatically?
Post #: 1
RE: artillery - 3/30/2015 8:35:11 PM   
Gil R.

It's automatic. Our view is that Civil War soldiers knew from the situation what to be firing, so it would involve a lot of micromanaging/clicking that struck us as unnecessary. (Not that we're opposed to giving players such choices: one of the best parts of our tactical naval engine in "Crown of Glory" is that the player gets to decide the precise nature of the attacks, since in the Napoleonic era this was often a crucial decision for the commander.)

The one choice for artillery is that you can press a button to set it to barrage enemy artillery. Since artillery is coded to aim at the closest unit this was necessary for those times -- think Gettysburg before Pickett's Charge -- when one wants to soften up the enemy's artillery, or those times when distant artillery is causing too much trouble and needs to be neutralized.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 2
RE: artillery - 3/31/2015 4:36:04 AM   
Duck Doc

I am going to assume from your reply that the different weapon loads are considered. Would that include especially canister from relatively short range?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: artillery - 3/31/2015 1:28:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, it's modeled into the performance of each type of artillery piece at each range. Artillery in good condition at short range firing canister (which has its own animation as well) can be quite devastating. It's assumed the crew is making the right choice with regard to ammunition. It's worth noting that the game models a great variety of different artillery pieces, each with historically different performance at different ranges (just as it does for the various types of muskets and rifles).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 4
RE: artillery - 4/1/2015 4:24:20 AM   
Gil R.

(I've been thinking of making a mod in which there is nothing on the battlefield but artillery units. Sort of like one of those big WWII tank battles. I'm curious whether that would be fun. I'll turn to it in a month or two, after completing some more serious scenarios...)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: artillery - 4/1/2015 5:53:40 AM   
zakblood

i like to mod and play around, only for myself mind you, the map are nice and i'm sure something else could be used on them, hint hint

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: artillery - 4/1/2015 8:10:11 AM   
AlessandroD

Is it possible to capture enemy artillery? (or supply wagons)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: artillery - 4/1/2015 2:55:13 PM   
GrumpyMel

So it always fires at the closest, you can't direct fire at another target that might be a little more distant but more important?

If so that would seem to be a bit of a weakness (IMO). I get that if an artillery unit felt "threatened" it would always automatically act out of self-preservation to fire at the unit threatening it. However, I would think that if an artillery unit was bombarding at "safe" range, a commander could order it to direct fire at a target that was more important then the closest one and the artillery battery would likely obey?

I get the mechanic with rifles and muskets automatically firing at the closest due to range limitations of those weapons but it seems a bit weird for artillery to be following that same model.

< Message edited by GrumpyMel -- 4/1/2015 3:56:08 PM >

(in reply to AlessandroD)
Post #: 8
RE: artillery - 4/1/2015 5:21:42 PM   
zakblood

hopefully one of the developers will answer this

as i'd like to to say

but can't as yet until released

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/1/2015 6:24:57 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: artillery - 4/2/2015 12:38:12 AM   
Gil R.

GrumpyMel,
I should add that if a unit is attacked it can return fire, so artillery can target one unit but end up getting to fire on another as well. The testers haven't raised any reservations about the system, which does seem to work well.

Zakblood, go ahead. You seem to be turning blue in the face trying to hold it in.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: artillery - 4/2/2015 5:37:39 AM   
zakblood

ty

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: artillery - 4/14/2015 5:29:05 PM   
AlessandroD

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedComet

Is it possible to capture enemy artillery? (or supply wagons)

Sorry to bump myself but surely this question has been overlooked

Post #: 12
RE: artillery - 4/14/2015 6:02:36 PM   
gwgardner

Enemy units can be captured, prisoners (and supplies, I think) taken. Enemy units can also surrender to you by enemy player choice (although I can't imagine any player doing that!).

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 4/14/2015 7:03:30 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: artillery - 4/14/2015 6:06:24 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

So it always fires at the closest, you can't direct fire at another target that might be a little more distant but more important?

I'll let the developers answer that in general terms, however you are able as the player to declare 'focus' locations, where you want your brigade (which generally include artillery elements) to concentrate on.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 4/14/2015 7:07:08 PM >

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 14
RE: artillery - 4/14/2015 7:21:58 PM   
AlessandroD

Thanks gwgardner, glad to see this feature implemented.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI