Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

52 Turns and counting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> 52 Turns and counting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
52 Turns and counting - 3/6/2003 8:52:01 AM   
Redleg

I just finished an epic 52 turn river assault in H2H C/C on.
What a battle that was! By game's end, troops were out of ammo and attacking with hand grenades. Some didn't even have hand grenades and were hiding in bushes and ravines in order to stay alive! I felt very lucky to hold out for a draw.

Liked it so much, I just started a 60 turn battle.

If you have never tried a very long battle, I recommend it!
Post #: 1
- 3/6/2003 12:25:42 PM   
rbrunsman

In Jess's Beachhead scenarios I'm playing against CPT Shoe, the current one is 52 turns and I have squads with 9 kills that are having to look for the ammo trucks to reload. It is a much different game when you have to worry about having your infantry run out of rifle ammo!

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 2
- 3/6/2003 2:09:03 PM   
Redleg

Yes, the infantry ammo supply is a real issue -

In the 52 turn battle I played, I had entire mortar sections with broken guns and overall, more than 50 % of all artillery above 50mm was broken. The light mortars held up without breakdown.

Turning limited ammo off would make it a bit easier but it seems more challenging to deal with the logistics and fire discipline.

I am going to play some more of these battles.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 3
Re: 52 Turns and counting - 3/6/2003 7:39:31 PM   
sandman20

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redleg
[B]I just finished an epic 52 turn river assault in H2H C/C on.
What a battle that was! By game's end, troops were out of ammo and attacking with hand grenades. Some didn't even have hand grenades and were hiding in bushes and ravines in order to stay alive! I felt very lucky to hold out for a draw.

Liked it so much, I just started a 60 turn battle.

If you have never tried a very long battle, I recommend it! [/B][/QUOTE]

Redleg:
I suppose you're talking about a battle we fought:D

My real salvation was that, when I shot those 10 assault boats crossing the river.;)
That was a great and epic battle, I agree that and I hope we may have more experiences like that:D

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 4
- 3/7/2003 1:28:22 AM   
Redleg

Hello Sandman,
I enjoyed the battle so much that I supposed that others might like to try these long fights. It was indeed our battle I was speaking about.

It was indeed epic and memorable. The sort of battle I replay in my mind! ;)

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 5
Large Battles - 3/7/2003 3:54:51 AM   
mogami

Greetings, Tankhead and I used to fight really large battles (10k+ points 50 turns large (the really large) maps.
On line. 2-4 hours per night. Those were a lot of fun.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 6
- 3/8/2003 10:42:46 AM   
radboy223

I also enjoy and very much prefer the longer battles when I'm playing(pbem). Does anyone have a larger map or two that they would recommend as especially good for this type of play?

"I am tired of talk that comes to nothing." Chief Joseph

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 7
- 3/8/2003 10:47:45 AM   
Redleg

I posted several larger maps that I checked for PBEM at [URL=http://www.redleg.homestead.com/]Dirty Dozen[/URL].

Enjoy

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 8
- 3/13/2003 7:56:44 AM   
VikingNo2

I would like to try a battle like this with someone. Please let me know, we got game now Radboy223, after its over do you want to try one of these?

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 9
- 3/13/2003 11:44:28 PM   
rbrunsman

I've also noticed in long games (especially Jess's scenarios like Market Garden and particularly Beachhead) that you really get to know your units and care about losing each individual squad or vehicle. They develop personalities of their own, so to speak.

CPT Shoe's flammwagons are currently hosting a barbeque with my Rangers as the main course and it is really hurting me to see those men suffer, survive, drive the Germans off of Pt du Hoc over 30 turns, only to be roasted with no hope of defending themselves.:(

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> 52 Turns and counting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI