Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine hunting?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Mine hunting? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine hunting? - 6/24/2015 8:21:30 PM   
Gunner98

Is there a 'good' way of hunting for mines? I mean, once you find them - usually involving a loud explosion and lots of rushing water , its fairly easy to set up a mission to clear them.

Is there a way of detecting the mines before your patching holes in one of your ships?

I ask because I know that a minefield is coming up in 'Black Tiger 5' and I have the resources to sweep but would like to try and identify the edges of the minefield first as opposed to sweeping 80 NM through the straights of Hormuze.

I suspect active sonar will do it - but there are a couple diesel subs out there lurking for just that sort of play

Haven't had this situation before so any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

B
Post #: 1
RE: Mine hunting? - 6/24/2015 11:59:41 PM   
SeaQueen

Some vessels have active mine avoidance sonars (e.g. Kingfisher, AMDS, chin and sail mounted sonars).

quote:

I suspect active sonar will do it - but there are a couple diesel subs out there lurking for just that sort of play

Haven't had this situation before so any help or ideas would be appreciated.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine hunting? - 6/25/2015 5:34:06 AM   
wild_Willie2

Mines are tricky. Once found they just take time clear without to much risk involved, however the problem is finding every single mine in a field. Your mine avoidance sonar has a range in the area of of 0.6NM and that is not a lot, but if you put your fleet in line ahead formation (with your two mine hunting ships abreast at the vanguard (horizontally separated by .3NM or so)), you can slowly steer a direct path through the suspected area without having to clear every mine in the entire area, you just need to sweep that narrow corridor. You can even support your minesweepers by assigning your sweep helicopters to sweep that corridor ahead of the minesweepers..

Changing formations manually can be a lifesaver, you can put extra shooters in front of your formation if you expect a heavy air attack, or switch to line ahead if you have to cross a minefield..

< Message edited by wild_Willie2 -- 6/25/2015 6:36:15 AM >

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 3
RE: Mine hunting? - 6/25/2015 9:33:08 AM   
p1t1o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98
...I suspect active sonar will do it - but there are a couple diesel subs out there lurking for just that sort of play...

Surface ships are already quite noisy, will mine-hunting sonar really give away your position that much more? Isn't it inevitable that a sub will hear your fleet anyway?

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Mine hunting? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI