Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Smuggling missions stop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Smuggling missions stop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Smuggling missions stop - 3/2/2015 10:56:47 PM   
bbenham

I'm getting 100% control of a planet and have a pirate base built. I put a basic starbase in orbit with a commerce center, some weapons etc.. to maintain superiority of the planet space.

When I do so, I seem to be seeing a sharp decline, or perhaps total stopping, of smuggling missions that come out of these systems. The only new smuggling contracts that come up are for new systems I stumble on. Or perhaps does this type of control grind the wheels of commerce to such a halt that those planets simply don't need resources anymore.

Does this seem like something you guys have experienced?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Smuggling missions stop - 3/3/2015 3:28:32 PM   
NephilimNexus

Just the opposite, actually. I get almost all my smuggling and defense missions from planets that I have established orbital control over. It's a heck of a lot easier, too. Of course only Independents offer the defense missions, but once you've got a well-armed space port in orbit those are an automatic win. In contrast, it's controlled Empire worlds that I've parked a defense base over that spawn the most smuggling missions; which makes perfect sense considering that I'm blowing up every freighter that tries to land there except for mine. Resource starvation doesn't take long after that, and they end up having no choice but to buy everything they need from the very people who are oppressing them.

In short, I play my pirates like the most evil, despicable, souless group of vile marauders in human history: Halliburton.

(in reply to bbenham)
Post #: 2
RE: Smuggling missions stop - 3/4/2015 1:23:24 AM   
bbenham

Hmm. First thanks much for the response. I've loved all your posts.

I've parked a defense base over empire or independent planets and while they may shoot down ships from a competing pirate faction, they don't seem to shoot any independent freighters coming in. How can I put the squeeze to them like you are? Is there a setting to make sure they shoot down every incoming ship except my own?

Thanks

(in reply to NephilimNexus)
Post #: 3
RE: Smuggling missions stop - 5/22/2015 12:10:01 PM   
NephilimNexus

Defense bases won't shoot neutrals, but they'll certainly kill any Empire and rival Pirates that come by. If you have the Scanner technology (the purple eye-ball looking thing) you can put that in your bases to detect smugglers and blast them, too. Actual neutrals, however, are still a no-go.

Keep in mind, though, that neutrals seem pretty random about what they haul and neutrals don't take Smuggling Missions. Meaning that if you see a planet with a Smuggling Mission then most, if not all, of those freighters going there are going to be smugglers.

Another tip on busting enemy smuggling rings is this: Rival pirates use different ship sprites than true neutrals, and once you learn what art kit they are using then you can always eye-ball tell them apart even when the ship still says "neutral" to you. True neutral ships clustering around a planet are always a mix-match of different styles, but when you see 5+ of the same image you can bet that's a group of smugglers from a rival pirate group.

And also, the most obvious give-away is laughably simple: Neutrals never build Large Freighters. So any large freighter "neutral" you see in the game is absolutely working for a rival pirate faction. Blast them or capture them whenever you see one.

(in reply to bbenham)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Smuggling missions stop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI