Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some initial questions and impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Some initial questions and impressions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some initial questions and impressions - 6/10/2015 9:04:26 PM   
Bemused

I have tried a few scenarios, most recently d'Erlon's attack. I cleared La Haye Sainte of all enemy troops but no matter where I clicked I could not get troops to enter the fort - bug or am I missing something?
In other scenarios I have a hard time getting cavalry to charge - they will take say one gun in a battery and then stop making me click charge again - what is the solution for this? Just leave them under AI control? I also find that they will not charge at all if they are half fatigued - is this intentional?

I am having a very hard time dealing with the crossing of lines and general mish mashing of formations even in a simple advance - is there no way to maintain integrity as the lines move forward? It wouldn't seem to hard as most of the problems seem to stem from the flanks of the lines not keeping pace with the centre.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 7:30:22 AM   
con20or

If the fort is empty your troops should be able to enter fine. Were there any British flags left overhead? Also - only officers and infantry can enter.

When they take a battery they will pause momentarily - if they are fresh and there is another enemy battery nearby they regularlyauto-charge very soon after. Alternatively you might have to send them after it yourself. Every battery you capture subtracts troops from your cavalry regiment to man the gun, so use it sparingly with one regiment.

Yes, WAD - low fatigue cavalry regiments wont charge.

Afraid i cant give much advice on keeping troops from bunching up other than don't have too many troops in the front line, keep a space and keep a reserve.

(in reply to Bemused)
Post #: 2
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 10:05:19 AM   
Bemused

Definitely no one in the fort - I have tried the scenario a second time now and can confirm there is no way to get into it. Please try yourself to confirm

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 3
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 10:22:57 AM   
Pawsy

quote:

I cleared La Haye Sainte of all enemy troops but no matter where I clicked I could not get troops to enter the fort - bug or am I missing something?

was just going to report the same. The farm is clear but I cant get inside to capture it. Played 3 times same result.

Troops bunching - sending too many to the same spot, use your AI commander more you will find that they operate quite well depending on their quality

< Message edited by starbuck310 -- 6/11/2015 11:23:25 AM >

(in reply to Bemused)
Post #: 4
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 10:56:36 AM   
con20or

OK, thanks for reporting, ill check it out.

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 5
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 11:08:08 AM   
Bemused

When I increased the sprite scale they go in - set it to 19. Even then though the fort does not show up as "captured".

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 6
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 11:44:05 AM   
con20or

The sprite ratio shouldnt matter - it depends on the unit size(number of men). The gold star over the fort says the max troops allowable. What size unit were you trying to put in there?

Edit - when you say captured, do you mean there is still a british flag overhead?

< Message edited by con20or -- 6/11/2015 12:45:31 PM >

(in reply to Bemused)
Post #: 7
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 1:37:49 PM   
Pawsy

My sprite ratio is zero

No British flags it's empty

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 8
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 1:50:25 PM   
con20or

What was the size of the unit, ie how many men. It says it on the toolbar.

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 9
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 8:19:11 PM   
Bemused

Con,

Another play and this time they went in at 1:1 scale. I am at a loss to explain why they did not before. the French flag still did not appear and instead I had the crossed swords symbol which seems to indicate contested. I added in another battalion and still no change. Only when I put a brigade commander in did the flag change to French. I have to recommend use of the Grog modifications in the toolbar btw. The ready availability of commands to oblique march, shift lines etc really makes a difference in bringing order to the battle.

How on earth do you win this scenario though? There are so many British forces and in fact they come down the hill at you! Even the Dutch and Belgian militia stick around and do not break easily. I managed to capture La Haye Sainte, contest the control zone on the hill behind it and had no luck on the right. the game ended in a "major defeat"! I felt I had them on the ropes with casualties about even and I took the central point just after the end of the game. Seems very tough on the French.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 10
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 8:31:38 PM   
con20or

I've just had another quick look to refresh my memory. The grey, crossed swords icon means no-one is in possession of the OBJ. Note this is the objective icon, which is not always a fort. You needed to send in an officer as well as the unit because every OBJ requires an officer, plus X amount of men to activate it and start accumulating the points. If you mouse over it on the map it tells you how many men you need. If you didn't activate that OBJ that is probably one of the reasons you got the major defeat as those points were not assigned to you.

But this should have no bearing on who you can stick into a fort. When you stick a unit into a fort a square french flag should appear overhead. La Haye can hold 1000 men, thats what the yellow 1000 overhead means. So as long as the regiment you are trying to put in there is smaller than that it should always fit - regardless of sprite ratio. If there is a unit in there already, you will be over the 1000 limit and it wont go in for you.

(in reply to Bemused)
Post #: 11
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 9:08:39 PM   
Pawsy

I managed a a minor defeat by taking the objective beyond the farm, TBH it should have been better but again I cannot get the farm as a victory location even though I have driven the allies from the ridge.

con20or yup I tried all that and just run the scenario again. Sprites to 10 no change. I took the objective beyond it on the ridge. But I could not get an officer or unit or sub unit to stop in the farm. So I think the open space objectives are fine, officer in location and hold.

I take the farm easy with two brigades using the ai commanders - they do a very good job once I give them their obectives. In fact its really good to see them manouvering and pushing forward. Great work.

The allied forces retreat the place is clear.
The french brigade commander although given an attack location in th farm pushes on, well thats fine I dont expect 100% conformity to my orders.
I took command of the brigade commander and marched him in to the farm - he disappears and always has a future location just outside to the west?
I rode into the farm as well but disappear and no affect.
I have used take command units to stop them, some seemingly disappear under the farm. No affect.

I dont think there is a messanger command either for 'take and hold XXX location at all cost'?

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 12
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/11/2015 10:18:36 PM   
Pawsy

I went played this again. I clear the farm and the surrounding area to the ridge beyond. But the cross swords remain, leaders will only path to the sides no one can enter. I had one Bde of 3 Div to the west, 1 Div to the north beyond the farm attacking the ridge. And 2nd Div clear to the east towards the ridge and the sand pit.

Just for a change I let the Div commanders carry out the attacks and 1 Div had no problems in pushing the allied forces out of the farm. 2nd Div was committed to the main objective on the ridge and actualy sent a Bn to help the assualt from the east. All under AI command, top marks

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 13
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 7:31:15 AM   
Templer_12

Deleted

< Message edited by Templer -- 6/12/2015 8:32:11 AM >

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 14
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 8:26:57 AM   
con20or

Very very strange.

So humour me here.

1. There are no british flags left over LHS.
2. You have selected a single regiment, less than 1000 men (sprite ratio does not matter)
3. You have right clicked in the central courtyard.

Try and turn off the AI for that unit, maybe their general is ordering them away from what you have told them to do.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 15
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 8:54:06 AM   
Pawsy

1. There are no british flags left over LHS.
2. You have selected a single regiment, less than 1000 men (sprite ratio does not matter)
3. You have right clicked in the central courtyard.

1 yes no british flags and I have, as an experiment cleared to the north west east of the farm with Bde and Div sized units.
2. Yes and single general and I have seen units sort of walking through stopped them using taking command
3. yes right on the glowing star

I tried with Div general and Bde both pathed to just outside the west side of the farm even though I manually gave them a march to glowing star in farm. I have in other scenarios captured farms etc no problem.

It still shows the crossed swords even though I have swept forward and captured the objective on the ridge so should be firmly in my command? One thought could it be that I have 'show only visible units' enabled - will check by using different setting

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 16
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 9:05:35 AM   
con20or

Thanks.

You will need to click on the terrain, i.e. the ground in the courtyard of LHS - not on the glowing star floating above it.

Ive just looked at the OBJ - you need

1. An officer.
2. 500 men
3. To be within 50 yards of it to activate. They aren't normally that close, but this is a fort OBJ so it is small.

TC them both (turn the AI off) and try moving them in.

< Message edited by con20or -- 6/12/2015 10:10:52 AM >

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 17
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 10:05:22 AM   
Pawsy

quote:

You will need to click on the terrain, i.e. the ground in the courtyard of LHS - not on the glowing star floating above it.

Yup I know that, Ive tried all over court yard, moved camera up down etc

Battle
Rerun using all units seen. 3 units in farm. They start to run at 13:45 and all three run by 13:52. The farm is empty. A split Nederlands unit attempts to reinforce and is quickly beaten off as units advance through around the farm up to and including wellingtons oak and the sandpit. During which I take command of an officer and a unit to put in farm. But can never get in the farm.

I then went on to capture both objectives on the ridge with 1236 point - inconclusive battle result. As I said I have used officers, bde and Div, allow AI to move and under take command.

quote:

TC them both (turn the AI off) and try moving them in.
Done lots of times no help.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 18
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 10:07:30 AM   
con20or

Can you take a save, zip it and attach it here? They zip down very small.

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 19
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 10:08:12 AM   
con20or

If this forum does not let you attach it you can post it here on ours.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/nuts-and-bolts-waterloo

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 20
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 4:19:37 PM   
Pawsy

yup wont let me upload zip Ill put it on other forum

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 21
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 4:36:18 PM   
con20or

Here is a link to an alternative email too.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/nuts-and-bolts-waterloo/67902-bugs

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 22
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 5:40:38 PM   
sspoom

This one is beatable during testing I scored 3094 and 4700 points.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 23
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 6:04:02 PM   
con20or

SSPOOM is our STIG, if any of you watch Top GEAR

(in reply to sspoom)
Post #: 24
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 7:17:45 PM   
FroBodine

I do! That is funny!

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 25
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/12/2015 7:24:48 PM   
con20or

Good - so as long as you feed Jeremy Clarkson, SSPOOM is the one to beat :)

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 26
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/13/2015 2:43:27 AM   
BloodyBill76

I can not enter the empty farm either. I defeat the defenders but cannot take it.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 27
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/15/2015 12:15:46 PM   
con20or

We still need someone to send us in a save for this - if you are experiencing the problem please zip it and please send it to

sowsupport at scourgeofwar dot com

(in reply to BloodyBill76)
Post #: 28
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/15/2015 12:33:01 PM   
roy64

Just to let you know I had the same problem as well, I didn't save the game either.

Just tried again & had no problem occupying the farm.

< Message edited by roy64 -- 6/15/2015 2:08:22 PM >

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 29
RE: Some initial questions and impressions - 6/15/2015 2:57:04 PM   
Pawsy

con20or will send you save file - there is an issue its a random one I think it corpse blocking

you got mail

< Message edited by starbuck310 -- 6/15/2015 4:12:26 PM >

(in reply to roy64)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Some initial questions and impressions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI