Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trouble with TC buttons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Trouble with TC buttons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble with TC buttons - 6/20/2015 6:09:41 PM   
joemann

I have been trying to play a sandbox campaign battle as Napoleon. I gave orders to my direct subordinates by courier, when they received their move orders they followed them up but without their units. I think this is because of the TC on/of issue but I have trouble understanding how these different buttons on the grog toolbar work.There seem to be several different buttons ( four flags twice on the extreme right of the toolbar and one separate button between the two, the single flag button in the upper left corner). The problem I have is when I toggle these buttons nothing seems to happen ( they remain lighted up). So I dont know if I have actioned anything. Does the difficulty setting influence the working of these buttons and what does each of them do? TC on means that the player is in control not the AI?
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble with TC buttons - 6/20/2015 9:14:11 PM   
RebBugler

TC functions can be confusing, hope I can clear this up. Please note that none of these commands are necessary when the enemy is out of sight. But then, once the LOS with the enemy is established, let the game begin. You can literally sit back and watch them go at it, or, take part in the strategy suggesting movements (no TC), or dictating the strategy by demanding movements (TC on).

As represented (rep) on the Grog Toolbar:

1) TC - rep by one flag, upper left corner of commands. This takes command of one unit, the unit selected. When TC on, lit up, unit will obey player completely, best for brigade CO, as battalions follow the CO's command.

2) Atcommon - rep by four red flags. This TC on's the selected unit plus all subordinates. This is tricky and dangerous as it will allow all units to be led into certain death, they are mindless and can't defend themselves. It is however useful to get units to go exactly where you want them, regardless of enemy fire. At that point the player must know to Atcommoff, or they will be annihilated...so micromanagement to this point is mandatory for survival.

3) Atcommoff - rep by four grayish flags. Hopefully explained above. Once Atcommoff, troops will fall under the command of the CO.

4) tcofficers - rep by one red flag. For division and above, the favored command for player control. When applied it will TC on all subordinate officers. Use Atcommoff (or TC off individually) when troops are in desired position(s), or keep it on to maintain position, battalions will defend themselves but officers are vulnerable and won't move to support since they are still TC on.

Now, here's how to use them. Brigade level is, or should be clear with 1).
Division level and above:
First I always TC division CO, not necessary but insures dest will set before division CO refuses your command. Then, after selecting your dest and facing, select formation. Follow up immediately by selecting tcofficers or Atcommon. Immediate follow up is crucial as some commanders may balk at your orders and decide to do it their audacious way. The TC commands literally make them brain dead until you decide to let them think for themselves by using Atcommoff.

These are your primary player control tools. When used right player turns the game into RTS, as opposed to RT command. Still, the mix is there (my preferred play) as player learns to use them, and when to turn them off.

On battalion or squadron level I prefer attackmarch. Although not as powerful as TC it will generally force units to obey and move to set dest or until contact with the enemy, forcing a melee. Advantage is that it auto attackmarch's off upon reaching dest or enemy, so, micromanaging is not necessary as they will defend for themselves. It also works well on the brigade level, but more affective when the brigade CO is TC on.

< Message edited by RebBugler -- 6/20/2015 10:18:57 PM >

Designer - Scourge of War

(in reply to joemann)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble with TC buttons - 6/21/2015 4:57:23 PM   
joemann

Many thanks for this explanation. I am not sure I understand everything yet but I am going to experiment with game using your explanations. Difficulty is of course that sometimes orders are not followed by officers as part of the game experience but it is not clear for me because I am not sure that i understand the controls. This is especially the case when the buttons I toggle don't give a clear feedback, i.e.they don't react ( don't seem to change color). I'll come back after having tried some more.

(in reply to RebBugler)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Trouble with TC buttons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI