Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help please re cavalry "charge" command

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Help please re cavalry "charge" command Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help please re cavalry "charge" command - 6/24/2015 11:27:38 AM   
pcelt

I have been having problems ordering a British cavalry squadron to charge fleeing infantry.I can order a double speed chase but when very close the "charge" order often seems ineffective and the cavalry squadron just rides with and through the enemy infantry with no assault or damage to either
Some detailed advice re how to set up this sort of cavalry charge would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Help please re cavalry "charge" command - 6/24/2015 12:12:35 PM   
mitra76

Can you generate a save of situation? In general, but can be or cannot be this case, cavalry charge isnot possible if the ground where it is at the moment of charge present some defensive\movement characteristics.

Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 2
RE: Help please re cavalry "charge" command - 6/24/2015 6:53:29 PM   
Volunteer

I repeatedly charged French cav into a British battery which was forced to withdraw as my brave lads pursued. However several times the cav rode through the enemy but killed none of the gunners ...

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 3
RE: Help please re cavalry "charge" command - 6/24/2015 7:54:23 PM   
mitra76

The game has two states for manage the close combat of unit:

charge and melee: charge usually switch to melee after the contact between the sprites if nothing interrupt it, but you can have a melee without charge if the at the moment of check two units "virtual surfaces" overlap. Graphically is difficult to see the difference between the two states.

Simplify much: the AI for the cavalry has a buffer distance from the target for orders the charge or stop the unit, with the additional check to switch to melee if already in contact for avoid the merging without close combat between opposite units. But sometime I cannot exclude it can happen anyway, especially if the ground hide the target until short distance (sometime from the high view this is not evident) and with artillery which has a reduce "overlap" area to trigger the melee; in addition cavalry run fast and if the check doesn't happen exactly in the same moment of the short window of contact with the "flag" of gun they can bypass the pieces, like as the crew hidden below the pieces or the wagons :)

As different logic is applied if you're directly the commander of cavalry brigade: in this case the autonomy of AI is reduced for avoid to subtract fun to the player; in these case a autocharge is ordered below a distance of 100 yards is the conditions are favourable in order to do the charge; of course the melee logic is the same of above

Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/

(in reply to Volunteer)
Post #: 4
RE: Help please re cavalry "charge" command - 6/25/2015 1:30:05 PM   
Volunteer

There is a lot going on under the hood; thanks for the explanation.

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Help please re cavalry "charge" command Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI