Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spawning distance for enemy forces

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Spawning distance for enemy forces Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/22/2015 4:58:19 PM   
lef64

Hello,

I'm very pleased with this game.
Playing SANDBOX-SINGLE PLAYER, LINE OF SIGHT BATTLE TYPE I'd like to have a chance to tweek or change the starting spawning distance of enemy forces. That to have some more time for manouvering and deploying forces before the clash of arms.
This is my first post and I have not experience with other titles of the series so I need step by step suggestions to change the game files.

Thanks in advance,

Lef
Post #: 1
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/22/2015 9:58:20 PM   
e_barkmann

+1, line of sight battles start way too close

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to lef64)
Post #: 2
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 3:36:05 AM   
RebBugler

I understand, but it's hard coded. Don't think coder will budge because line of sight is what it says, it's been brought up before. Still, I'll mention it again. I suggest attack or defend, send out scouts, press = for fast forward, open the map and watch for first signs of the enemy, you'll see an enemy color question mark initially. Then, prep for defense or move to that location for attack. Stuff happens pretty fast then. Don't forget to slow things down with -.

Designer - Scourge of War

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 3
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 7:22:44 AM   
roy64

I've never played the sandbox campaign because all the battles are line of sight, is that hard coded as well or could that be changed?

I don't know about the rest of you but I can see for miles on a clear day, I don't know why the line of sight battles have to be so close, almost on top of each other.

(in reply to RebBugler)
Post #: 4
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 8:40:29 AM   
con20or

Sorry guys - sandbox line of sight is WAD - this is what it is supposed to do. It puts two armies down in line of sight of each other. It is for quick melees, any armies who were approaching each other should have deployed long before now. We have three other battle types, Attack, Defend and Hunt them Down - all which will provide you with plenty of time to deploy your troops before contact with the enemy.

In relation to the campaign and line of sight - the same issue applies. All road battles default as Line of
Sight. In reality two armies would not march head on into each other on a road they would have deployed long before then, one usually at the nearest defensive position, i.e. a town. Towns control crossroads, stopping the enemy from getting around you easily. Town battles all default as attack/defend depending on your role, unless there are huge numbers of forces involved - in which case you get hunt them down.

(in reply to roy64)
Post #: 5
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 8:50:25 AM   
roy64

quote:

ORIGINAL: con20or

In relation to the campaign and line of sight - the same issue applies. All road battles default as Line of
Sight. In reality two armies would not march head on into each other on a road they would have deployed long before then, one usually at the nearest defensive position, i.e. a town. Towns control crossroads, stopping the enemy from getting around you easily. Town battles all default as attack/defend depending on your role, unless there are huge numbers of forces involved - in which case you get hunt them down.

I didn't know that thanks, I'll give the campaign another go.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 6
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 8:52:53 AM   
con20or

Do - you will love it.

(in reply to roy64)
Post #: 7
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 8:55:17 AM   
con20or

I have moved this from the tech section.

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 8
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 9:57:09 AM   
jomni

Does this mean I have to avoid road battles in the campaign to avoid line of sight mode?

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 9
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 10:31:29 AM   
benpark

Agreed. The LoS battles start too close to be of much use. Two armies stumbling into one another at this range would involve some seriously sight impaired armies. Most everything else is great, but this issue does impact the sandbox campaign and is unmoddable.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 10
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/23/2015 11:10:37 AM   
Gunfreak

Line of sight means you can see the enemy and they can see you. Doesn't mean Wellington and Napoleon have to wake up in bed together. The distance could easily be doubled and it would still be line of sight.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 11
RE: Spawning distance for enemy forces - 6/24/2015 7:40:38 AM   
lef64

I till hope this issue could be fixed with a patch.
In Line of Sight engagements you can hardly handle with a brigade force, but dealing with Division, Corps or Army you have not time and space for a proper deployement and the engagement soon result into a confuded meele.
Then, when Line of Sight enforces a close deployement of enemy forces, units should, at least, deploy into a defensive posture and not massed up in columns.

(in reply to Gunfreak)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Spawning distance for enemy forces Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI