Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Downloadable Boardgames

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Downloadable Boardgames Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downloadable Boardgames - 4/16/2003 2:04:13 PM   
kungfucheez

Could anyone reccomend good Downloadable Wargames, Like ASL?
Post #: 1
- 4/16/2003 3:52:14 PM   
Resisti

If you're looking for FREE games, look here:

http://www.theunderdogs.org/

Many are old, but there's something worthing to be downloaded for sure.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to kungfucheez)
Post #: 2
- 4/16/2003 4:03:32 PM   
kungfucheez

well those arent the type of Boardgames i mean, Games like ASL are what i mean

Post #: 3
- 4/16/2003 4:05:57 PM   
Resisti

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kungfucheez
[B]well those arent the type of Boardgames i mean, Games like ASL are what i mean [/B][/QUOTE]

If you check carefully, there's a section for wargames, too.
IIRC, there are also the old Steel Panthers to download, i.e.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Post #: 4
- 4/16/2003 4:07:14 PM   
kungfucheez

uhhhhh well actually i meant free games

Post #: 5
- 4/16/2003 8:38:35 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I think Kungfu got led astray recently reading the thread concerning VASL and JASL.

Last I checked, matter energy transmitters had not been invented, sorry dude.

The only way to get a free "board game" is generally to have it given to you in person.

You might have been confusing the various forms of software used to implement internet play of board games, but you must already own the board game to employ this manner of software.

The software is just a device in this case and not really a game.

In the case of free downloadable computer wargames, that is another matter entirely.

Some will argue that there is really no such thing. Outside of the arrangement Matrix has with SSI, I am not sure I know of any other examples that would survive a court room debate.

They do exist out there though, on web sites that are fans of the games in question.

The use of a well established search engine, can find you myriad sources. I am assuming no one here wishes to be insulted by me explaining how to employ a search engine though.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 6
- 4/16/2003 9:32:44 PM   
Jim1954

I can't for the life of me remember where I got it, but I found a game, Battle for Moscow, on the net a while back. Dl'ed the map and counter sheets as pdf files but overall it wasn't worth much. You get what you pay for, I guess. Have you tried looking on ebay under toys/games? While not free, some of those titles are ridiculously cheap.

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 7
- 4/16/2003 9:46:38 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That sounds like something Jim Dunnigan would offer Jim, he has in the past made games that were included in things like books on wargaming.

Demos might not be to far off though. Lock n Load has a demo out currently.

A modest map image, a countersheet image, and a brief manual to see what the game is like.

I am currently trying to bug MMP into doing the same for ASL.

Post #: 8
- 4/16/2003 9:49:22 PM   
Jim1954

The game did have an SPI "feel" to it ,Les. Could have been Dunnigan. Maybe 50 counters, tops and a map that fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 9
- 4/16/2003 9:56:38 PM   
Jim1954

Found what I was thinking of over at Web-Grognards.
This link claims to have freeware downloadable games on it, and it's where I found the Moscow game.

http://grognard.com/board.html#complete

:)

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 10
- 4/16/2003 10:08:23 PM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]The only way to get a free "board game" is generally to have it given to you in person.

You might have been confusing the various forms of software used to implement internet play of board games, but you must already own the board game to employ this manner of software.

The software is just a device in this case and not really a game.
[/B][/QUOTE]

There are plenty of "FREE" playable board games on the internet. Yes even the ones that dont actually require you to own the game will state that you need too. For some misplaced legal belief that that statement makes what they have done legal.

But Les is correct in that the vast majority of them are only 50% complete at best and meant more as a tool to play it online than anything else. Of course in all these cases merely having the rulebook is enough, you dont need the game. For the web-based Advanced Third Reich there are postings of the rulebook online and similiar for other games. Its sort of the "piracy" equivalant for boardgames. So if you can get ahold of the rulebook from a friend or online you can play many of the games.

To put it more simply.. Most online conversions just display the mapboards and pieces and handle recording movement and fire instructions etc. They do not implement most of the actual games logic, that is left to the players though in some cases certain things such as stacking limitations and so on are implemented.

Most FULL boardgame conversions are done by professionals or semi-professionals such as the group that is putting all of SPI's games online. Totally legit, legal, and what looks to be a great effort thus far.

Post #: 11
- 4/16/2003 10:11:07 PM   
Jim1954

Veldor, I'm in the dark. Which group is putting the SPI stuff out and do they have a website?

:confused:

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 12
- 4/16/2003 11:05:24 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Veldor I won't argue the law (probably because not being a lawyer what would I expect to get out of it hehe), but I have to wonder.

Warplanner could not be any more obvious, than a prostitute working inside a convent.

The web site is about as visible.

http://www.warplanner.com/

The game is about as visible.

http://www.aworldatwar.com/

And the fact that both know about each other fully, and that the one, is selling the board game as well.

I am wondering why everyone is screaming about it being illegal. Or maybe someone needs to tell GMT they don't own the game.

I have scanned every friggin one of my wargames manuals. I will gladly send a scanned copy to any that wants one (you cover postage though).
This is almost certainly some form of infringment, but I sure ain't giving you a defacto copy of the games physical materials. I would only be doing it, so you can get the inside scoop on why it's worth your time ferreting out an old copy on eBay.
Because rest assured, that's the ONLY way you are ever likely going to find 95 % of my board game collection.

The original companies don't even exist anymore.

Sure some can take a utility, and turn it into a game. People do that all the time with computer game demos. But I think a person taking a board game utility and doing that, is a very odd individual. Heck I won't even buy most board games, if the materials are substandard. I am sure not going to settle for some butchered computer created frankenwargame.

Post #: 13
- 4/17/2003 1:58:55 AM   
kungfucheez

I beg the differ

Post #: 14
- 4/17/2003 2:10:22 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You might need to be more specific while begging Kungfu hehe:)

To what do you refer?

Post #: 15
- 4/17/2003 2:21:29 AM   
kungfucheez

does it sound like im begging?

Post #: 16
- 4/17/2003 2:59:47 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well you DID say "I beg to differ".

Not exactly profuse begging of course.

Post #: 17
- 4/17/2003 5:10:44 AM   
kungfucheez

but im not Dime begging

Post #: 18
- 4/17/2003 6:30:44 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

We need to toughen up Kungfu's armur rating, I say we throw him in Art of Wargaming for the night.

Buy tomorrow night he will be hard core.

Post #: 19
- 4/17/2003 3:10:02 PM   
kungfucheez

sounds good to me, btw , I think SPWAW is the best Wargame ive played and will always until someone shows me differ.

Post #: 20
- 4/17/2003 5:53:01 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just to give a SPWaW fan an option to compare, I also suggest you experience Close Combat and The Campaign series from Talonsoft.

Post #: 21
- 4/18/2003 1:26:40 PM   
Karnaaj

Nice bracketing job, Sarge, SPWAW is pretty much in the middle there. Close Combat (and I *finally* got CC5! Via the gogamer.com link in the CC5 thread) is your individual-unit "real-time tactical" game, while the TalonSoft Campaign stuff is turn-based multiple-unit. (In this case, "individual" (1 unit = 1 tank/gun/squad), versus "multiple" (1 unit = 1 platoon tanks/infantry), and my own slang of "real-time tactical" versus "real-time straegic". Nyaaah.)

From SPWAW (or even SP:MBT, for the "modern age" types ), you can slide on up to the larger scale of hexes in the TalonSoft offerings, or back off to where you *can't* just run units out to use up the enemy's available shots, because it's all happening *now*, in CC. (Battlefront's Combat Mission series fits a little off to the side, in my opinion: indiviual units, turns-but-simultaneous-action.)

Interestingly enough, especially for us notoriously-poor wargamers , all three options are *cheap*. SPWAW is free (or nominal cost if someone burns a CD + postage), unless you get a MegaCampaign (worth the price, from what I've gotten out of Lost Victories so far; I'll have to get the others - wheee, searching for Rommel's Baja Adventure... ). Various of the Close Combat series are available in the "shovelware" discount racks, or new/used in the "get it outta here" sections, as are the TalonSoft games. (I've got to watch for the second West Front expansion, too.)

SP1 & SP2 are also available cheap'n'easy, still in the SPWAW "individual"/turn-based slot, while SP3 is "multiple"/turn-based. (Not that I ever got my copy to *run*, mind you. Methinks it dislikes Win98SE or my video cards... Windows version, on CD, bought off the discount rack a couple years back.)

Good ghod, I'm long-winded at times.

Post #: 22
- 4/18/2003 5:22:59 PM   
The MSG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Resisti
[B]If you're looking for FREE games, look here:

http://www.theunderdogs.org/

Many are old, but there's something worthing to be downloaded for sure. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are of course refering to [URL=http://www.the-underdogs.org/]http://www.the-underdogs.org/[/URL]

"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

Post #: 23
- 4/18/2003 8:43:11 PM   
kungfucheez

lol yeah thats the site

Post #: 24
- 4/19/2003 12:48:03 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Note the "-" in the name, resulting in losing control of a domain name or something like that.

For those that like the site and actually want to hear the sites modest history, check out the story more fully here over at Military Gamer...
http://www.militarygameronline.com/insidemgo/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=212

Karnaaj did you say you had trouble with SP3 in 98SE?

Man that has to suck. I mean the only reason 98 SE is on a wretched corner of my computer, is so I can still run a few petulant prorams that give enough attitude in XP its not worth it (anymore than trying to convince a teenager you're right hehe).

Post #: 25
- 4/21/2003 3:27:24 AM   
Karnaaj

Les: I run 98SE normally. As I recall, when I got SP3, I was running either 95 or 98SE on a PII box with a Voodoo3 card. which may have been part of the problem. (It was even the Windows version of the game; the only patch I could find tries to run in DOS and dies a horrible death.) I only really wanted it to run some mods, specifically the earlier SPWW2 that required SP3 at the time, and the War of the Worlds mod. Might have to dig it out and see if I still have those probs on the PIII/GeForce3 box... I still have that hankerin' to take on them Martians...

SP:WAW (http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WorldAtWar/index.asp)
SP:MBT/SP:WW2 (http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm)
Combat Mission HQ (http://www.combatmission.com/)
G-o-D's Close Combat Links (http://home.wanadoo.nl/cclinks/)

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Downloadable Boardgames Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI