Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing on a Mac (update)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Playing on a Mac (update) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing on a Mac (update) - 9/16/2015 1:21:11 PM   
ultradave

I just purchased a brand new 13" MacBook Pro and wanted to report the specs and that Command runs just fine. My old one had a separate GPU and this one does not, but there seems to be little difference (my old one was almost 5 years old, may it RIP).

13" MacBook Pro
8GB RAM
512GB solid state hard drive
Dual core i5 processor

Parallels Desktop running Windows 7. I had to play with the settings in Parallels to get it to play nice with the gorgeous Retina display on the MacBook (it will default to a Windows desktop and game resolution of 2500x1600 - not useable on the 13" screen). In Parallels, Configuration for the virtual machine, under General, set it for 3d modeling settings, and in Hardware, under video, set it for "Best with Retina". 512GB devoted to graphics, 4GB processor devoted to Parallels. Bingo - good looking screen and all the menus and on screen data and windows are set up just right.

Performance is good, probably better than my old laptop devoting more resources to Parallels, just with the 5 year upgrade in general performance of the MacBook. That's completely subjective as I was unable to check side by side (the old one died - wouldn't complete booting up).

Luckily I had a fairly recent backup which included a complete copy of the Parallels virtual machine so I was able to get the new one set up pretty easily and as far as I can tell, didn't lose anything.

Just wanted to report the Parallels setup as it took a number of trial and error combinations to hit the right combo that made the graphics the best. Many combinations made typefaces so small that you needed a magnifying glass to look at the screen, or made some pop up window and menu text ok, but menu titles teeny tiny.

A lot of Mac users use Bootcamp for this. I've used Parallels since before bootcamp was an option and it's worked well for me. And an advantage of it is the VM is just a file on the Mac. If I ever decided I didn't need it or wanted to start over or just get a PC notebook, I could just delete the file and get all that space back without reformatting. I use this for research too, so besides a few games there are analysis programs there I need.

Dave

< Message edited by ultradave -- 9/16/2015 2:22:28 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Post #: 1
RE: Playing on a Mac (update) - 9/16/2015 6:55:24 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks for sharing this! Quite a few Mac users here so this should help.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing on a Mac (update) - 9/18/2015 4:20:55 AM   
StereoCommand

Thanks Ultradave! I had given up on this game on my Mac with Parallels... Now I am going to give it another go :) I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina, just upgraded to Parallels 11, will let you know how I get on...

Cheers

Chris

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Playing on a Mac (update) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI