Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Target priority for PGMs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Target priority for PGMs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Target priority for PGMs - 9/19/2015 7:11:25 PM   
gosnold

Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong, but when attacking a multiple hit-point facility (such as a SAM site with manpads, TELs and radars), cruise missiles and GPS-guided bombs attack a target at random.
That results in Tomahawks hitting a manpad and destroying hit, whereas the long-range radar nearby is unharmed. It makes it difficult to dismantle an IADS, as to blind a SAm site with a radar you need a massive strike, whereas 1 or 2 cruise missile hits should be enough.
I suggest that cruise missiles and guided bombs target the radars first (there are 1-2 per site), then the TELs. Or let the user pick what to attack.
Post #: 1
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/19/2015 8:59:59 PM   
wild_Willie2

Yes, using cruise missiles against SAM sites is extremely wasteful as they hit a random component of these systems. That is why you should use cluster warheads which can take out entire SAM systems with one hit instead, my personal favorite for this task is the JSOW A model.

< Message edited by wild_Willie2 -- 9/19/2015 10:01:42 PM >

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 2
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 9:41:14 AM   
gosnold

The problem is you don't always have JSOWs, or any standoff cluster bomb weapon for that matter. But you can have a small number of standoff weapons that you do not want to waste.
And it is unrealistic to need to wipe out SAM sites down to the last Igla in order to blind an IADS. A precision strike on the radars should be able to do the job, and implementing target priorities for PGMs would make it possible.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 3
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 10:56:24 AM   
ComDev

Your concerns have been noted

Thanks!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 4
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 11:30:35 AM   
gosnold

Thank you!

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 5
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 2:41:00 PM   
Tomcat84

What would be great is if for long time known targets you could indeed give a priority / target subelements. For a SAM that just got detected by you and you quickly want to fling a bomb at it, it does what it does now to simulate that you dont know every detail about it.

Then after like 15 minutes or so of detection you get the ability to subtarget specific elements.

Just an idea

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 6
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 3:28:15 PM   
Tailhook

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

What would be great is if for long time known targets you could indeed give a priority / target subelements. For a SAM that just got detected by you and you quickly want to fling a bomb at it, it does what it does now to simulate that you dont know every detail about it.

Then after like 15 minutes or so of detection you get the ability to subtarget specific elements.

Just an idea

Initially I liked this but after thinking a bit on it, I disagree. I believe that any circumstance where a pilot has eyes on a target to set up an "accurate" attack run with iron bombs allows him enough time to identify radars (they're usually pretty obvious) and line up on those. The chief exception I could see would be either pilots with poor training or high altitude radar bombing with older systems.

But thank you for looking into this. I've been meaning to request this very thing.

< Message edited by Tailhook -- 9/20/2015 4:29:44 PM >

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 7
RE: Target priority for PGMs - 9/20/2015 9:57:13 PM   
mikmykWS

Added a request to target specific mounts within a unit with PGM's.

Mike

(in reply to Tailhook)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Target priority for PGMs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI