Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another WWII Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Another WWII Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:45:29 AM   
icym

I apologize in advance for the length of this; brevity is not my strong point.

Triumph of the Reich is a 1941 WWII scenario. This scenario was originally intended for an audience of two – my war game buddy (WB) and me. We had played board war games for over 30 years until we moved too far apart for the travel to be convenient. Favourites games included various versions of Third Reich, World in Flames, Totaler Krieg, with a healthy dose of Advanced Squad Leader in there as well.

With face to face play no longer an alternative, a computer game was sought that could fill the void. What we wanted was a game similar in scope to the strategic board games we so enjoyed, but configured to our tastes and starting sometime after the fall of France (my opponent was sick of me getting lucky in the defence of France). Advanced Tactics Gold was decided on, and it proved a great choice.

Since I am the one with the patience for scenario building, that task fell to me. Unfortunately, during the time the game was being developed, WB’s eyesight deteriorated significantly and long sessions looking at a computer screen were no longer possible. He also has just been diagnosed with another, potentially serious medical condition. With any luck, operations later this year will restore his health and eyesight enough to play again.

In the meantime, as I had the free time, I continued to work on the game, designing it in line with our preferences. Those included a large, visually attractive map, lots of units and some strategic depth.

Part II
The scenario uses monthly turns on a map of just over 19,000 hexes at approx. 25 miles per hex. It is obsessively detailed: all the cities, rivers, mountain ranges, seas, and factories have colour-coded labels. For neat freaks (like me) it is possible to quickly add the correct label to your newly built factories, or remove labels from any that are destroyed.

Smaller scale maps for the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand occupy otherwise empty sea areas around the edges of the map.

There are a few new terrains: rough plains, hills and mountains, wooded hills and hedgerows. Subtle retextures have been applied to plains and desert terrain to give them a little contouring.

The scenario starts in May 1941 when each Regime (including Britain, US, France, the Commonwealth, Germany, SS, Italy, Axis Minors, Finland, Russia) can set up their production. In May Germany alone can reposition its ground forces and rebase air units to add unpredictability to their opening moves.

Because its target audience was ageing board gamers, it cannot hope to compete with sophisticated, diplomacy-orientated designs like GD1938 and to some extent it is a return to simpler times.

The units are standard AT types and WB prefers counter graphics rather than NATO (which probably rules it out for some players). There are a few additions to the counter mix – heavier paratroopers and convoys for example. Consideration was given to adding historical unit types but there are already several scenarios that do that and they do it far better than I could.

Air and land movement rates have been adjusted in accordance with the map scale. Ship movement rates are greatly increased – in a turn they can move about the distance you would expect them to be able to travel in a month.

More emphasis has been placed on using factories for production, so Major Regimes start with several, along with an industrial centre (a new LT) or two. Major Regimes can also recruit new troops from a limited number of Recruitment and Enlistment centres. I found doing it this way allowed more subtle balancing of production capacity. Production is ultimately limited by a Regime’s ability to provide supply to their forces and provide the oil to move them. Raw resources will limit how much heavy equipment you can build per turn. Capital ships require very substantial amounts of raw to build. Cities do not have inherent ship building – you can only build ships in shipyards. Germany has several Synthetic oil plants (a new LT) to help them generate the oil they need.

To mitigate the “rich get richer” effect, Russia has a couple of “Scorched Earth” options to slow the Axis from quickly converting all their conquests into productive assets.

Events. Much of the flavour of the game comes from the use of action cards and events. Events are intended to be subtle, while adding variety and interest. There is quite a lot of event code in the scenario (over 6,000 lines so far). Some examples:

Atlantic warfare allows German submarines to try and interdict US oil being shipped to the UK. British destroyers can contest their operations. Once naval units are assigned to North Atlantic duty the process is completely automatic, generating a report each month showing oil and destroyer/sub losses. Losses are determined by the ratio of Submarines to Destroyers. Neither side can see how many ships the other side has committed.

Murmansk Convoys are less abstract than in some games. When the US enters the war it can build Russian-people units in one industrial centre. Convoys (cargo ships on steroids) can be used to ship the units to Russia, with Murmansk offering the closest port. There is an Allied PP bonus for convoys getting through, while the Axis receives a PP bonus for convoys they scatter.

Shipping of air units: It is possible to build some types of air units, crated up for shipping. The Allies can use this method to ship air units to the Mediterranean or Russia using convoys. When the cargo is offloaded the receiving Regime can play an action card to unpack and ready the aircraft for action. The aircraft assume the nationality of the people receiving them.

Research has been overhauled, with costs increasing more gradually, rather than doubling for each level advance. Tech advancements are linked to the game year. Certain key technologies cost more if researched early in the year and decrease gradually to normal levels by June (the research screen shows both the current and standard costs for these items).

To provide a method for increasing PP income over time (other than purely by location capture) major Regimes begin with a couple of research facilities. Randomly, Regimes may receive a Scientist card. The Scientist card can be played on a research centre and a scientist unit will appear on the map, adding to the PP output of that Research centre while he is stationed there. If your research centre is threatened, you can move your scientists to safer location.

Alternatively a scientist card can be played in your home country thus founding a new laboratory. Laboratories are little less productive than Research Centres, but they can be built in locations distanced from enemy units or air attack. Adding more scientists to a laboratory will increase its productivity (up to a maximum of 8 levels). For a quick instant influx of PP, a scientist card can also be played on a capital (even one belonging to one of your Allies, allowing you to gift PPs). Germany only has the option of assigning one scientist to Synthetic oil research; success will increase the productivity of his Synth oil plants.

Major naval powers can build minelayers, allowing them to place a naval minefield at sea. Naval minefields are invisible to the enemy unless their ships end their turn inside of one, making them susceptible to mine attack. A small display area in the top right hand corner of the map reminds players where they have a minefield active and will display the location of any known enemy minefields. Your own minelayers can remove enemy minefields if their location is known. You can remove your own minefield with minelayers, or simply by laying a new naval minefield in a different location.

The Allies can attempt to bomb the Axis rail network. This is very ineffective early in the war, but its success rate improves in the latter years.

Germany can build a V-weapons facility. Once built it draws a small amount of PPs per turn, with V-1 weapons becoming buildable at the location after 12 months. It then will continue automatically researching V-2s and ultimately V-3s. My WB likes to play the Axis and likes V-weapons, so the V-2+ is a little more like the wonder weapon that Hitler envisaged. However because production only comes from one location their numbers are limited.

Gifting territory: A small bug was uncovered in AT version 2.20c that allowed Regimes to gift resources to allies so that all allied players could gain the benefit of the same resource in the same turn (not ideal in a 2-player game). Gifting territory has been disabled, and action cards now control a fairer gifting process for resources. Similarly, liberated major cities and capitals (Paris for example) can be assigned back to the original owner.

Standard features. You can expect to see snow and mud in Russia. You will also occasionally encounter storms at sea. Partisans can appear in France and Russia. The British player can spend a small amount of PP per turn to provide aid and encouragement to the French resistance, while the German player can spend a small amount of PP to try and supress them. As well as being a nuisance, partisans may blow a bridge or destroy a rail line.

SFT’s, Terrain and location types have had their descriptions rewritten to provide quick and useful information at a glance.

As my WB has limited experience with AT Gold, a Player’s Guide was put together. This 32pp pdf provides hints and information to an inexperienced player familiar only with the basic game mechanics. It provides full information on the specifics of this scenario’s special rules and a myriad of smaller changes and features that are not mentioned here. I also use it to keep track of what I am doing or have done. The pdf is currently being updated to make it accurate with the latest game version.

Although initially intended for 2 players, the scenario would work with 3, 4 or 5 players.

Part III
When I commenced working on this project I knew little about the game and nothing about the editor. The game as it stands now is recommended for players who like big – but hopefully not boring – games that prioritize playability over historical accuracy.

Solo play testing has so far concentrated on testing features and bug hunting; play balance and victory conditions still require attention.

Although I am not finished working on it yet, what would really be helpful would be for an experienced player to have a look at what I’ve done and comment on whether it has merit. [Edit 25/5: Sorting the graphics into the scenarios folders has been done]

If you have got this far, thank you for reading. I have provided a few screenshots in the following posts.

< Message edited by icym -- 5/25/2015 4:03:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:48:03 AM   
icym

The complete map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 2
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:50:32 AM   
icym

Zoom in view. From left an Industrial Centre, oil refinery and Supply base are shown. Units and hex labels are hidden.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 3
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:52:32 AM   
icym

View showing part of Turkey with rough and desert terrain. Units and labels have been hidden.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by icym -- 5/3/2015 3:53:27 AM >

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 4
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:57:07 AM   
icym

An area of Russia, showing labels. Units have been hidden. Production cities have yellow labels, minor cities white labels (they produce PPs only).

Small cities (no production) have blue labels, as do rivers etc.

Factories and Resources have red labels.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 5
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 3:00:07 AM   
icym

Part of the Russian front, May 1941. Russian units have not yet suffered their readiness penalty.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 6
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 3:01:52 AM   
icym

A few new graphics.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by icym -- 5/3/2015 11:26:05 PM >

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 7
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 3:03:22 AM   
icym

Slight alterations to a few location types to help differentiate them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 8
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 3:05:19 AM   
icym

Because Regimes can accumulate a number of Action Cards, large wording has been used to make them easier to see, instead of using pics.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 9
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 3:06:33 AM   
icym

A couple of sample pages from the Player's guide.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 10
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 10:05:57 AM   
Josh

Wow. I say you have done an amazing job. A great looking map, and a few very cool additions. Mine fields, minelayers, new factories and facilities, "scientists" (scientists is IMHO a step forwards to the empire building game ATG could be, a wargame with leaders (political, naval, army, etc) so it would add another layer on top of the ATG engine).

/quote

To mitigate the “rich get richer” effect, Russia has a couple of “Scorched Earth” options to slow the Axis from quickly converting all their conquests into productive assets.

( an absolute necessity, in the old AT any city could produce everything so the more cities you took the more powerful you became, that became boring fast as you became unstoppable

Events. Much of the flavour of the game comes from the use of action cards and events. Events are intended to be subtle, while adding variety and interest. There is quite a lot of event code in the scenario (over 6,000 lines so far). Some examples:

Atlantic warfare allows German submarines to try and interdict US oil being shipped to the UK. British destroyers can contest their operations. Once naval units are assigned to North Atlantic duty the process is completely automatic, generating a report each month showing oil and destroyer/sub losses. Losses are determined by the ratio of Submarines to Destroyers. Neither side can see how many ships the other side has committed.

Murmansk Convoys are less abstract than in some games. When the US enters the war it can build Russian-people units in one industrial centre. Convoys (cargo ships on steroids) can be used to ship the units to Russia, with Murmansk offering the closest port. There is an Allied PP bonus for convoys getting through, while the Axis receives a PP bonus for convoys they scatter.

Shipping of air units: It is possible to build some types of air units, crated up for shipping. The Allies can use this method to ship air units to the Mediterranean or Russia using convoys. When the cargo is offloaded the receiving Regime can play an action card to unpack and ready the aircraft for action. The aircraft assume the nationality of the people receiving them.

Research has been overhauled, with costs increasing more gradually, rather than doubling for each level advance. Tech advancements are linked to the game year. Certain key technologies cost more if researched early in the year and decrease gradually to normal levels by June (the research screen shows both the current and standard costs for these items).

To provide a method for increasing PP income over time (other than purely by location capture) major Regimes begin with a couple of research facilities. Randomly, Regimes may receive a Scientist card. The Scientist card can be played on a research centre and a scientist unit will appear on the map, adding to the PP output of that Research centre while he is stationed there. If your research centre is threatened, you can move your scientists to safer location.

(great idea, love the scientist card idea

Alternatively a scientist card can be played in your home country thus founding a new laboratory. Laboratories are little less productive than Research Centres, but they can be built in locations distanced from enemy units or air attack. Adding more scientists to a laboratory will increase its productivity (up to a maximum of 8 levels). For a quick instant influx of PP, a scientist card can also be played on a capital (even one belonging to one of your Allies, allowing you to gift PPs). Germany only has the option of assigning one scientist to Synthetic oil research; success will increase the productivity of his Synth oil plants.

Major naval powers can build minelayers, allowing them to place a naval minefield at sea. Naval minefields are invisible to the enemy unless their ships end their turn inside of one, making them susceptible to mine attack. A small display area in the top right hand corner of the map reminds players where they have a minefield active and will display the location of any known enemy minefields. Your own minelayers can remove enemy minefields if their location is known. You can remove your own minefield with minelayers, or simply by laying a new naval minefield in a different location.

The Allies can attempt to bomb the Axis rail network. This is very ineffective early in the war, but its success rate improves in the latter years.

Germany can build a V-weapons facility. Once built it draws a small amount of PPs per turn, with V-1 weapons becoming buildable at the location after 12 months. It then will continue automatically researching V-2s and ultimately V-3s. My WB likes to play the Axis and likes V-weapons, so the V-2+ is a little more like the wonder weapon that Hitler envisaged. However because production only comes from one location their numbers are limited.

Gifting territory: A small bug was uncovered in AT version 2.20c that allowed Regimes to gift resources to allies so that all allied players could gain the benefit of the same resource in the same turn (not ideal in a 2-player game). Gifting territory has been disabled, and action cards now control a fairer gifting process for resources. Similarly, liberated major cities and capitals (Paris for example) can be assigned back to the original owner.

Standard features. You can expect to see snow and mud in Russia. You will also occasionally encounter storms at sea. Partisans can appear in France and Russia. The British player can spend a small amount of PP per turn to provide aid and encouragement to the French resistance, while the German player can spend a small amount of PP to try and supress them. As well as being a nuisance, partisans may blow a bridge or destroy a rail line.

/end quote

Nice idea bout bombing the railroadnetwork as well, that's been on my wish list for a looong time. Another one on that list is that engineer units should have the capability of destroying rr networks as well, after all that's what they did, build *or* destroy things.

Once again many thanks for your work.
A file that large, 15 Mb you say, could you upload that to say Dropbox?

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 11
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 10:49:08 AM   
icym

Thank you for the kind comments.

I still have to consolidate the scattered graphics files into the correct folder so the size may go over 15MB, but I certainly could make them accessible on Dropbox when they are ready.

A solo playtest is underway that I will need to finish before I feel comfortable releasing the game (although this playtest has been free of any major bugs for the first time, hooray).

Engineers having the ability to blow rail lines is something I will consider adding, so long as there are some limits. Probably would be done via action card as I have a couple of rail-bridges across straits that I would prefer to keep intact.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 12
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 11:24:46 AM   
baloo7777

Wow! This sounds like an awesome mod! Please keep us informed as to when it might be available. I think a dropbox link is the way to go also. Tremendous job!

JRR

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 13
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 2:16:00 PM   
falco148

Amazing. I would like to have a go at this in the 4-5 player mode.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 14
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/3/2015 11:52:44 PM   
LJBurstyn

Seems good--would like to have a look at it...could you make it available via dropbox or on the ATG scenario website.

(in reply to falco148)
Post #: 15
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/4/2015 2:01:28 PM   
tinjaw

This sounds like a truly magnificent mod. When it is ready for general use, I would be interested in participating in a game.

(in reply to LJBurstyn)
Post #: 16
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/4/2015 5:10:21 PM   
GrumpyMel

Really nice job. I think you have a real winner on your hands. I'm sure you'll get player interest in this.

(in reply to tinjaw)
Post #: 17
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/4/2015 7:26:48 PM   
Vic

Looking excellent. Love the little touches and the manual in making.

Read you had some issues with sorting your graphics. I recommend you use the Export log files button in the settings tab in the editor. It will write a lot of log files to the logs/ directory. One of them contains all graphics currently in memory. It is a good way to track down graphics lurking in the wrong directory.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 18
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/4/2015 9:19:45 PM   
icym

I am heartened to receive so many positive responses.

Next stage is to follow Vic's suggestion and track down all the graphics. I did not make it easy for myself by having about 60 different terrain types in the game to fulfil special purposes, sea movement, weather etc., even though some look the same.

Later this month I am moving house, so that will cause a little disruption.

It may take some time to get there, but I have been working on and off on this since I retired over two years ago. Admittedly a lot of that time was not very productive as I tried things that did not work or got stumped by the editor. With so much time invested it is good to see the finish line in sight.

I am sure there will be play balance issues that need addressing. Fortunately I will have plenty of time available to rectify any issues that are raised.

< Message edited by icym -- 5/4/2015 11:51:06 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 19
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/5/2015 8:02:56 AM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: icym

Later this month I am moving house, so that will cause a little disruption.

Good luck with that, and make sure you don't lose your mod in the proces.

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 20
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/8/2015 7:34:54 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Once I clear out some of my existing games, I'll gladly jump into this, it sounds very interesting.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 21
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/8/2015 8:53:25 PM   
icym

I now have the graphic files in the right folders.

There is a little more that needs to be done with the mod. I will post the occasional update as it gets closer to release.

< Message edited by icym -- 5/24/2015 10:31:48 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 22
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/10/2015 12:23:00 AM   
Bombur

Great mod, I´m anxious to put my hands on this one....

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 23
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/11/2015 7:44:50 PM   
ernieschwitz

Seems like solid work, looking forward to it :)

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 24
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/22/2015 2:58:43 AM   
icym

I have made some progress.

As expressed earlier, I was concerned whether I had placed all the graphics in the correct folders. [Edit: Graphics have been confirmed as correct]

If anyone has the time or inclination to take a look, I have loaded the Triumph Scenario onto Dropbox.

I haven't used Dropbox before, so I hope I've done it right. [Edit: I messed up my first attempt to grant access, apologies to those concerned.]

I'm based in Australia, so please allow for the time difference if I am slow to respond.

The folder is available to share, if anyone wishes to volunteer to download it (its around 23.5 MB), please send me your email address and I will grant access.

The scenario is still in Beta status, so I would recommend not getting too involved in a serious game yet.

< Message edited by icym -- 5/24/2015 10:30:31 PM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 25
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/24/2015 2:20:28 PM   
Bombur

Send it to me, please.
afenelon@terra.com.br

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 26
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/24/2015 9:25:46 PM   
icym

Bombur, I have sent you a link to the Triumph folder on Dropbox.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 27
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/24/2015 9:28:00 PM   
icym

It is now confirmed that all the graphics are in the correct folders.

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 28
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/24/2015 11:06:19 PM   
Bombur

Thank you for the scenario, icym. It seems very promising. If I were you, I would send it to ernie too...he is very good with the event editor. When you´re finished, I would like to know if you would agree with a version with custom units. The only trouble I see with this scenario is the number of regimes. How do you want to deal with them?

(in reply to icym)
Post #: 29
RE: Another WWII Game - 5/25/2015 2:41:41 AM   
icym

I have no problem at all if anyone wants to create a version with custom units or nato counters. I realise a lot of people highly value those options.

The number of Regimes is a legacy of the scenario as originally created. It was designed as a 2-player game, but I made the Regimes separate in case I needed to make events specific to certain counties. E.g. Russian cost to create a new unit is cheaper in 1941, and a whole heap of others.

When my intended opponent had to drop out due to eye problems, I realised that if it was ever going to get played it would need to be playable by 3 or more players, but by that time the Regimes were set and events were too far advanced to change anything.

To play now, some players will have more than one Regime to play. I don't imagine that is a major problem, provided in each round they can play all the Regimes they control one after the other.

It starts getting a little weird with five players, but at least the US will have something to do before US entry.

Norway can't do anything much unless one of their major cities is recaptured by the Allies, so Britain playing them is fine.

Spain and Turkey have limited production but they must remain neutral unless they are attacked by the Axis, so it doesn't matter a lot which Axis opponent plays them. Britain is the logical choice because Britain's turn follows on from Turkey's.

I guess for six players, the US could be separated from France/the Commonwealth.

I envisage the player Regime allocation could go something like this:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by icym -- 5/25/2015 3:55:19 AM >

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Another WWII Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI