Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship movement - 10/28/2015 2:50:26 PM   
flowerpunk

Hi,

I love this game but there is one thing that annoys me alot. I do everything manually but still ships are moving without my orders. Its especially annoying when I want to built fleet I have to wait and give order one ship after another just to stay and dont move. Why CPU is giving orders to my ships even with all automatization off?

edit: I found, I didnt uncheck newly built ships are automated

< Message edited by flowerpunk -- 10/28/2015 4:12:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Ship movement - 10/28/2015 4:04:58 PM   
Bingeling

In addition to the cure you found...

I prefer to create my fleets before the ships are built. That way the behavior to "move to fleet leader" is the one that is picked up. I just have to make sure that if the leader is also being built, he is built where I want the fleet to gather.

If you order the ships and open the ship list, the newly built ones should by default sorting be at the very top or bottom. And some shift-clicking makes it easy to add them to fleets from the ship list.

Always using fleets for newly built ships (at least those going into fleets), has made me survive fine with automated ships at build time, and manually controlled fleets.

(in reply to flowerpunk)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship movement - 10/28/2015 6:44:07 PM   
jacozilla

Not sure if this is complete list but the 3 settings i am aware of via trial and error of facing this same issue myself is that the 'default' ve when you first install game includes some automation via:

1. Organize fleet setting - label is bit confusing. It implies the setting is whether your empire AI helps to form new fleets out of solo units, nassd on the number paramters you give for ratio of non to fleet units. But it seems with this setting enabled, not only does AI form new fleets, it wil give thise fleets orders and annoyingly even change the fleet postures you set them on (e.g, chnage a defend posture fleet to attack, and have it go somewhere)

2. Forgot exact label name but on policy screen, as a checkbox to left of the general auto / suggest / control manually filters, there is a setting that says something like 'harass enemy with attacks of opportunity' - you need to uncheck this as well, or units amd fleets may go off on their own

3. The Options screen generally reflect the policy filters and vice versa, but check both places to ensure every category has filter drop downs set to at minimum onky to suggest, or control manually. Personally i prefer manual control when i decide to act, but do like leaving most settings to suggest.

for example, while suggest ships is needlessly annoying once you are out of really new to game stage, it unfortunately is lumped together with suggest bases as one combo suggest ships and bases, so i always leave on suggest rather than full manual even though the suggest ships prompt spam is annoying because on a large empire, the suggest base prompt is very valuable when i missed a colony landing alert in rush of text somewhere and forgot to setup a starbase or port with rec/med facilities. Eventually the suggest prompt will remind you of some forgotten world with no base that you shoild build a port, defense base etc, and that lets me track down worlds that need a rec/med starbase that i missed building.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship movement - 10/29/2015 11:52:43 PM   
Twigster

Glad you found the resolution flowerpunk!

The megawar in my megagame has begun and its just ginormous! The game works perfectly well for me, fleets and ships move (or not) where and when I tell them and I am not having any trouble controlling/refitting/ordering literally many hundreds of ships. Believe you me, at the scale I am playing and a few hundred years into the game I would very much have noticed and prolly gotten hot under the collar if things were discombobulating my plans.

(in reply to flowerpunk)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship movement - 10/30/2015 12:24:43 AM   
jacozilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twigster

Glad you found the resolution flowerpunk!

The megawar in my megagame has begun and its just ginormous! The game works perfectly well for me, fleets and ships move (or not) where and when I tell them and I am not having any trouble controlling/refitting/ordering literally many hundreds of ships. Believe you me, at the scale I am playing and a few hundred years into the game I would very much have noticed and prolly gotten hot under the collar if things were discombobulating my plans.

Get to 1000+ state ships and declared war - whether year 1 or year 100 in game, unless you use a VERY specific set of settings and manual control - with many factors that can engage autonomous behavior - then ships and fleets will act autononmously, sometimes in irksome manner.

Is it possible to have full 100% manual control? Of course. But it is not imo the norm, or as normal sounding as your post suggests. For example, not even a partial list but of the many popular and very useful mechanics players can and should use, the second you:

1. Enable and use attack fleet posture at all, even for fleets set on 'manual', fleets can and will move autonomously - far outside the specified attack range.

2. Enable and use defense fleet postures - fleets can and will move outside the specific range you thought you had setup

3. Use any of handful of various factors that can trigger a refit of a single ship or class, can and will move entire fleets off position at wrong / worst / inconvenient moments in autonomous fashion

The only way you can ensure 100% compliance that no state ship - e.g. your 'real' military ships and fleets vs who cares private sector - will move autonomously is to turn off every aspect of ship, fleet, and construction automation to disable advisor prompts, refits, fleet attack and defense postures, fleet percentile logic for auto reformation / refueling due to scattering, etc.

What makes a game 'not scaleable' in terms of empire management or micromanagement are purely relative and playstyle specific - so i will never impose my definitions on yours. If you are happy with how you are able to manage your game, awesome.

But what is factual, and not opinion, is that autonomous behavior of state ships is so deeply woven into the game, it is possible to have 100% full manual control but requires disabling a laundry list of helpful game mechnics, not the least of which are the very powerful and useful fleet postures for attack and defend.

I wont contradict what you are saying per se but I'd suggest either looking more closely at what ships and fleets are sometimes doing, or you do indeed have full manual control but imo your post is attempting to make that sound more the 'norm' than it really is.

You dont have to try much at all to use and integrate state/private sector automation, one of the core differtiators and brilliant aspects setting this vs other traditional 4x games apart. But you really, really have to try in order to play as full manual as you imply.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI