Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilot training query

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Pilot training query Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilot training query - 11/4/2015 8:19:52 PM   
cato12

If I want to swap the mission status of some of my fighters to bombers do I really need to be retraining them as bombers on the pilot screen for them to be effective?

They are out of service for 8 turns by doing this so is it worth it? It does seem a bit strange that they even though they are classed as fighter bombers they only train as either a fighter or a bomber or does the default 'fighter' training setting train in both?

Post #: 1
RE: Pilot training query - 11/4/2015 8:44:08 PM   
Seminole

quote:

If I want to swap the mission status of some of my fighters to bombers do I really need to be retraining them as bombers on the pilot screen for them to be effective?

You don't have to, but the penalty is that they are 80% effective in the role they are not trained in.
In my case I like to use the German twin engine fighters for ground interdiction. They're worth more to me in that role than as purely fighters, so I typically retrain them to maximize them for the role I intend to emphasize with them.

I expect as the WA player that over time as the Luftwaffe dwindles it will make sense to retrain some FB groups as bombers in order to maximize their ground interdiction, particularly in the last year of the war. Considering the impact of weather winter on flying you can time the retraining to make best use of what would typically be down time anyway.

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilot training query - 11/4/2015 9:33:43 PM   
cato12

Interesting. I couldn't find that info in the manual under pilot training.

A 20% drop doesn't seem to bad. Im playing the BI scenario so taking units out of play for 8 turns seems to big a hit for the size of the penalty.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilot training query - 11/4/2015 11:06:22 PM   
LiquidSky

In the campaign game you have nothing but time. I guess it really boils down to the length of scenario you are playing.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Pilot training query Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI