Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Paradrops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Paradrops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paradrops - 1/15/2016 6:56:47 PM   
Harrybanana

There is still a lot I don't know about paradrops including:

1. What units can be attached to an airborne division prior to drop? I was pretty sure that engineer battalions could be attached. But recently when I tried this the computer said that I had illegal units attached. I know that airborne battalions can be attached, but what else?

2. If landing in an enemy occupied hex there will obviously be a battle. In this case the airborne units commanding HQ will be important. So is it better for the Airborne unit to be within 5 hexes of it's commanding HQ at its base hex or to have it's commanding HQ within 5 hexes of the target hex? I assume it is probably the latter, but if the drop hex is far from the Airborne units base it is often difficult or impossible to attach it to an HQ that is within 5 hexes of the target hex.

3. Do weather or ground conditions have any effect? I recently dropped an airborne division that started at a "Heavy Mud" base into an enemy occupied Light Mud hex. the weather in both hexes was rain. Did any of this have any effect?
Post #: 1
RE: Paradrops - 1/15/2016 7:08:44 PM   
RedLancer

1. I think it's only airborne battalions.

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks. So attach Units to an Airborne HQ when conducting drops.

3. Weather may impact on the aircraft effectiveness and ground conditions on the combat when you land but I don't think that there is an impact of either on the drop like ground type does.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 2
RE: Paradrops - 1/15/2016 8:45:09 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks.

I had no idea that was the case.......and I was just using those like normal Corps HQs.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Paradrops - 1/15/2016 9:00:36 PM   
szmike

There's no airborne allied HQ until 1944 anyway.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: Paradrops - 1/15/2016 10:42:09 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks.

I had no idea that was the case.......and I was just using those like normal Corps HQs.

I did not know this either QBall. Guess it is time for me to dust off the Rule Book and read it from cover to cover. I've tried this a couple times before, but either someone will send me a turn (and playing is more fun than reading) or else I would fall asleep.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: Paradrops - 1/16/2016 3:15:11 AM   
LiquidSky

It has to be on an airfield for it to work that way I believe. And it wont throw support units.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 6
RE: Paradrops - 1/16/2016 4:03:24 AM   
Seminole

quote:

3. Do weather or ground conditions have any effect? I recently dropped an airborne division that started at a "Heavy Mud" base into an enemy occupied Light Mud hex. the weather in both hexes was rain. Did any of this have any effect?

15.7 has many more details, but there is additional weather attrition for an air drop beyond bad weather causing more aircraft to turn back.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Paradrops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI