Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 2:13:07 PM   
Philkian

Here for you more screenshots from the upcoming game by OTS!

Basic Game Options

Mission Briefing

NATO Defenses

Select Scenario

Start Game

Welcome Screen

WG at Game Start

Post #: 1
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 2:53:25 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for the screens!

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 2
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 6:01:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

Can something be done about the rivers? They just don't look right.

bear in mind when I ask this that I don't know if they are BETA screen/finished art/WIP or what

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 6:05:19 PM   
wodin

JD it is a very stylised map..I getting used to it..we have been told we can mod it but the colours of the towns and cities have to be like that due to the coding of the map..or something like that. So I presume all terrain has been designed that way for a reason. In one way I like the fact everything is obvious and easy to see on the other it certainly isn't the best map I've seen. Yet it has a charm of it's own.

I'm sure someone will get to modding it. Maybe I will.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 10:32:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

@ Wodin and JD - As Wodin was saying the maps and art use a very specific set of colors so they can get picked up by an automated routine to set map values. Takes a job that was hours down to minutes. Per map!

We also wanted items to be visually distinctive. That being said, you can of course make your own maps (with a bit of effort) and you could take the map art file and redecorate it with your favorite paint program since the map values are in a separate file. As long as you aren't trying to change the terrain that should work fine.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 10:41:55 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just not over keen on the colour. It looks too BLUE!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 10:47:23 PM   
Mad Russian

Here is what a major river map that has the Weser on it looks like zoomed out. The map graphics are also moddable.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/25/2013 10:48:23 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/25/2013 10:51:57 PM   
CapnDarwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Just not over keen on the colour. It looks too BLUE!

I understand. It was not easy getting all of these map items to play nice with the auto map values routine and MR was pacing back and forth waiting for us to make it work.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/26/2013 1:19:21 AM   
Jamm

Bitchin map MR

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/26/2013 1:47:27 AM   
Mad Russian

Every map is the same size. The maps are routinely larger than the battle area for the scenario. That gives lots of room for maneuver and it also allows for the maps to be used for more than one scenario. Different parts of the maps can be used for multiple fights. Especially if the force size is small to medium.

Edit - while maps can be used to create more than one scenario, we did not. Each scenario in the game has a specific map created for it. Except one. This map has two scenarios for it because of the lay out of the terrain.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/26/2013 2:47:46 PM >

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 10
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/26/2013 7:53:27 AM   
JudgeDredd

Given the apparent flexibility inherent in the maps which appears to be linked to colour/content, then the blue is a small price to pay.

By the way - perhaps I should've come across positive as well as negative - the maps are really, really nice. I guess I made the error that by only mentioning the blue rivers and not liking them I thought the assumption could be made I liked the rest....but they are great looking.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 11
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/26/2013 2:49:10 PM   
Mad Russian

One of the reasons I do like the brighter blue is when you zoom out the map it is still immediately apparent where the rivers are. As you can see in the map I show above.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/27/2013 2:41:47 AM   
demiller

These maps really are great. I can only imagine how great the scenarios are going to be. I too thought the blue was a bit much, but I get the reasoning and seeing it on the zoomed out map, MR is right - it does make it very clear where the rivers are.

This just can't get released soon enough!

AKA panzerde

Post #: 13
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 4/30/2013 2:45:05 PM   
CapnDarwin

@ demiller - We are hard at work to hit our summer release date.

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 14
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/2/2013 1:08:30 AM   
demiller

Capn, you and MR and the rest of the team take whatever time you need to wrap this one up right. My impatience is simply the result of having really enjoyed FPG and from know MRs scenario work from Panzer Command Ost Front. You guys do great work, and this looks to be a long way toward the NATO-Pact game I've wanted to play for a long time.

Keep up the great work!

AKA panzerde

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 15
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/2/2013 1:22:29 AM   
CapnDarwin

@ demiller - Thanks. That is our plan!

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 16
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/2/2013 3:08:41 PM   
jack54

I'm really looking forward to this... the excellent screen shots display the obvious lineage and yet evolution from FPG. ( a good thing,IMHO!).

I've actually fired up FPG again and started to re-read Tom Clancy's 'Red Storm Rising' just to stay in the mood. LOL
As others have said...'this could be the one I've been waiting for...' thanks...

Good Luck to everyone involved!

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 17
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/3/2013 2:48:34 AM   
Mad Russian

I'm glad you liked my scenarios in Panzer Command Ostfront. We worked a long time on that game!!

Hopefully some of the scenarios we have set to release with this game will also be competitive for you.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 18
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/3/2013 8:43:43 AM   
Hoplite1963

Also good for " getting in the mood" is IRON X's "Red Storm Over Europe" mod of the HPS's "Squad Battles Vietnam" game. who said world war three had to be in 3D ?

Enjoy
Ian

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 19
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/3/2013 2:08:56 PM   
Mad Russian

Hmmmm...Vietnam to Cold War mods....or Cold War to Vietnam mods....might have something there.

But then that would mean a mostly infantry game wouldn't it? Hmmmmm.....

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Hoplite1963)
Post #: 20
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/4/2013 2:46:45 PM   
Hoplite1963

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Hmmmm...Vietnam to Cold War mods....or Cold War to Vietnam mods....might have something there.

But then that would mean a mostly infantry game wouldn't it? Hmmmmm.....

Good Hunting.

MR

No actually, it's a total makeover mod with new maps. terrain, sound files & graphics. All of the relevant early 1980's vehicles, choppers aircraft and weapons are featured for British West German French & American armies (including special forces Marines & Airborne") for NATO with their opposite numbers for Soviet (also including special forces Marines & Airborne") East German and Czechoslovak forces. There are 26 scenarios, and it's totally free. All you need to install it is access to the CD for the original HPS "Squad Battles Vietnam" game. The mod and his other ones mentioned below can be downloaded here.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=iron%20x%20hps%20squad%20battles%20mods&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoftwaretopic.informer.com%2Fsquad-battle-modern-iron-x%2F&ei=XQaFUbmwLa-X0AWEvIH4BQ&usg=AFQjCNHb_3lm70-5qYyroP1NvchpxIAAug

For those who are interested IRON X has done 3 other mods "The Long War", (covering the current conflict in Afghanistan) "Arab Israeli Wars" looking at that conflict from 1967 to 2009 (both built on the HPS "Soviet Afghan War" squad battles title and "The World At War" ( looking at other recent battles from the Iran Iraq war in 1982 to fighting between the Georgians an Russians over South Ossetia in 2008 (this mod uses the HPS's " Pacific War" Squad Battles title. Also using " Pacific War" although not designed by IRON X is "Africa At War" covering conflicts in Africa since the 1960s. This mod along with a lot of extra scenarios for it can be downloaded from the "Task Force Echo 4" website.

The graphics from these 5 mods are a real goldmine for counter art for "Flashpoint Campaigns modding purposes.
Enjoy
Ian

Post #: 21
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/4/2013 5:58:25 PM   
Mad Russian

'The graphics from these 5 mods are a real goldmine for counter art for "Flashpoint Campaigns modding purposes.'

Not unless you are the one that created them and brings them over to this game!

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 22
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 7:35:05 AM   
Hoplite1963

No worries, take you point just looking for a starting point for silhouettes. Here is a dropbox link to the latest version of Red Start Over Europe and the updated sound files if you don's want to get involved in the 3rd party download route.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54384751/RSOE%20DROPOBOX%20VSERSON.zip

Regards
Ian

Post #: 23
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 7:45:31 AM   
Mad Russian

Actually, I have a board wargame that I've been working on for some time, which has individual vehicles, and silhouettes are a dime a dozen. Sound files I've not messed with, so couldn't tell you about those.

In any case, thanks for sharing.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/5/2013 7:46:26 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 2:58:57 PM   
wodin

Iron X will be well and truly miffed if people started using his art for another game.

Also FCRS has far better graphics than any SB game modded or otherwise.

Finally is putting up another game and the screenshots of it fairplay to FCRS? Seems abit off in my opinion. (EDIT by Moderator-Shots taken down by poster)

I used to love SB but it has serious game flaws that will never be fixed\changed that become even more apparent the more modern the war is.

Iron X took his mods down due to people using his art...I also have asked my AOTR and RV mod to be taken down aswell as I wasn't asked by a certain modder to use my work and he actually got credit ion a forum about how good the bit he had copied from me was.

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 5/5/2013 6:27:01 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 6:26:17 PM   
Hoplite1963

Hi
Thanks for the input. I have tried taking the posts down but the system crashes on me every time I try to do this so have contacted Capn Darwin for help in removing them.

Entirely appreciate you point, I guess I let my enthusiasm about the potential of the game run away with me, sorry for any offence.
Do you think the down load links should be removed as well as the screenshot posts ?

Many thanks
Ian

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 26
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 6:31:54 PM   
CapnDarwin

Ian,

No offense taken. This is always the "sticky" point of modding. I am in the midst of putting together the modding guide for the game and the whole first section is on this topic or original versus derived works and giving folks the right credit. It is not an easy subject but I hope folks here will give credit where it is due and just be courteous.

I was able to remove the posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Let's get back to Q and A on the game!

Post #: 27
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/5/2013 10:56:25 PM   
jack54

Hi again,

Will it be possible to 'group' units and issue movement orders while they remain at a relative distance from each other ie, formation move, or will they all move to the same target hex (the way FPG does.)?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 28
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/6/2013 1:07:28 AM   
CapnDarwin

jack54 - Not currently. This is on our "wishlist" for follow-on game engine updates (assuming we can make the AI understand how to do it right). You can select multiple units and issue waypoints, then go back in and adjust the final locations. I do this a lot to move units from one location to another and keep a tight movement group while getting between setup/overwatch zones. This also gives me control over the initial pathing. There would be may cases where "formation" moving would place units in very disadvantageous positions like open high ground or over a river. It is not a very simple thing to code. But we will look into it.

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 29
RE: More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! - 5/6/2013 12:55:04 PM   
jack54

Thanks Capn Darwin,

Ok... I wasn't thinking of anything elaborate just a mechanism to move groups and save some 'clicks'. ( it's really not very important especially in WEGO format.)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> More screenshots from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI