Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 2:40:03 AM   
101Man

Wow. I completed the mini scenarios included with the game. They were great. I started, no, make that opened, a Dec 8 game with a Quiet China in the 'No Fog of War' mode as the Allies. Looking at the situation within the whole Pacific---Holy cow!

I have a very good grasp of WW2 pacific history in my brain (centers of gravity, objectives, etc.) so I know where to concentrate combat power. What do I do with resources, oil, auto supply to places that don't have high relevence (Fiji and remote islands that have troops on them, for example).

The Pacific Area of Operations is huge. My concern is I will miss an admin-type of situation (supply of a remote island for example) and get into trouble based on that.

Has anyone played from start to finish a long game? If so, how long did it take you to finish? I am curious so I can know how much of my life will be sucked away playing and enjoying this game.
Post #: 1
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 3:28:29 AM   
crsutton

Played one campaign through to the day of Soviet activation in 1945. Took us about four years in real time. Current campaign is in 4/43. If you have not played a human, I highly recommend it. It is just so much better than the AI. But you will need to find a reliable partner. Not an easy thing.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 6:20:12 AM   
KenchiSulla

Welcome.... I've been playing since 2009 with only a break of around half a year.. Played around 2500 turns in various different PBEMs. Haven't seen 1945 yet....

And yes, this a lot of value for you money

< Message edited by Cannonfodder -- 12/19/2015 7:21:48 AM >

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 6:49:01 AM   
Dragoastro

I started a grand campaign last Dec v AI. I prob put in 30 hrs a week and am now at the end of May 42. I'm slow and detail oriented and methodical, most people are much faster. I'm learning a ton, and having a blast. It is the journey, not the destination, that matters. I make many mistakes, the allies, at least, have plenty of resiliency and ability to bounce back. Jump in, the water is fine!

Ben

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 4
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 10:57:42 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

Wow. I completed the mini scenarios included with the game. They were great. I started, no, make that opened, a Dec 8 game with a Quiet China in the 'No Fog of War' mode as the Allies. Looking at the situation within the whole Pacific---Holy cow!

I have a very good grasp of WW2 pacific history in my brain (centers of gravity, objectives, etc.) so I know where to concentrate combat power. What do I do with resources, oil, auto supply to places that don't have high relevence (Fiji and remote islands that have troops on them, for example).

The Pacific Area of Operations is huge. My concern is I will miss an admin-type of situation (supply of a remote island for example) and get into trouble based on that.

Has anyone played from start to finish a long game? If so, how long did it take you to finish? I am curious so I can know how much of my life will be sucked away playing and enjoying this game.

I have never progressed past December 31, 1941. The restarts are just too good to resist.

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 5
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 12:01:53 PM   
tiemanjw

I started with an AI game...took me about 9 months I think...it was a while ago. PBEM is better once you get through an AI game I think.
Any how, my take on it was that the real world allies could hardly have done worse in the first 4 months, so your mistakes won't matter in the long run. You can learn as you go...just like real life! Thankfully, though, your mistakes don't cost lives.

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 6
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 1:14:50 PM   
RogerJNeilson

My longest running game began on the week the game was released - 2009. We are now at a snail's pace of 1 move per week, so at that rate it will never end. Currently in October 1944. Don't worry about anything short of absolute disaster, every move is a game in itself, savour each little challenge and each decision. This is a game for maturity of insight - and I'm still learning how to do stuff. If you are short of time for a move just do the most pressing things, the rest can wait. After the initial 'Get out of Dodge' moves its not that daunting. My advice is to think in terms of operations and deal with those that have high tempo, much of the rest can be ticking over with occasional checks to see all is well.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 7
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 1:44:54 PM   
m10bob

I have played thru maybe 10 "grand campaigns", (scenario one), and for me, "difficulty" has never entered my mind.
Just playing a day at a time, (I generally play 3-4 days per day,actually).
There is no time limit for when the game MUST be completed, and it gives me plenty of time to think about my strategy/tactics before I play my turns.

Tactics come into play when you have a limited sized island and you must formulate just what kind of unit(s) you will place there to 1.capture, 2.defend, and build with.
The importance of knowing why you plan to possess that one sandspeck in the ocean comes into play, regardless of the "points" the game might reward for its' possession.

Gadzooks, is it possible there can be too many reasons to like the game?

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 8
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 2:44:40 PM   
RJL5188

I play a few game turns a week...almost done with my 3rd campaign with Japan...the furthest I have reach was Jan 1944

"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 4:49:06 PM   
JocMeister

I´ve never played a AI game to the end. Game is usually decided by early 43 against the AI.

Played one PBEM to mid 45 though. I think it took about 2,5 years.

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 10
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 5:54:05 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents-

Currently have two AI games in progress; the longest is as the Allies (difficulty setting "very hard") in Andy Mac's Big Babes Ironman Nasty Nasty; am at the end of January 1942. Six or more hours on a turn, submerged in the logistics and detailing means one to two turns a week; but during that time I am oblivious to all else, but it is what I really love. Haven't seen Kido Butai since the December 7th turn; will have to look at the Japanese side to give it some organizational help.

The second (and most recent start) is Babes Lite as the Japanese (difficulty setting "hard"), heavily modified for both sides. Am on the 11th December turn and just thrilled with each end turn combat resolution.

No matter what the play style, AE is incredibly addictive. It used to bother me a heck of a lot that I couldn't crank out a turn in one hour; have had to let that go. Love the detail and want to really understand how it works and get it right- or as close as possible. In the long run, it is all about learning the game and having a wonderful time in doing so.

I would also comment that sometimes, after spending hours on a campaign turn, I've just gotta take a break; it is so enjoyable to play, for example, the Guadalcanal Scenario- the turns just effortlessly fly by.

Never would have made it without the absolutely awesome folks on this forum, who have been very generous, patient and helpful; that was the number one reason I have stayed the course when I was completely lost years ago. Note: now I am only semi- Lost...

A very special thanks to JWE, Don Bowen, Alfred, El Cid and Damien, who were all incredibly patient and key to my understanding how it all works.

Don't give up, 101Man; you are in good company and at the beginning of a wonderful journey.

Merry Christmas to all of my forum brothers and, of course, The Lady Grafin Zeppelin!

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 12/19/2015 7:06:46 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 11
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 6:08:26 PM   
GetAssista

PBEM is where Grand Campaign really shines. Unfortunately for me I'm restricted to AI, and the artificial guy usually burns out by the second year even with generous help and handicaps.
For me, reading the many excellent AARs in the archives of this forum counts almost as playing yet another GC. Very entertaining and not nearly as time consuming as playing.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 12
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 6:40:20 PM   
101Man

Thanks for all your comments. I asked those questions above just to get a feel for length of a GC. I am splitting my time between this and War in The West (Torch). Actually I'm spending about 75% of my gaming time with AE.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 13
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/19/2015 7:44:08 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoastro

I started a grand campaign last Dec v AI. I prob put in 30 hrs a week and am now at the end of May 42. I'm slow and detail oriented and methodical, most people are much faster. I'm learning a ton, and having a blast. It is the journey, not the destination, that matters. I make many mistakes, the allies, at least, have plenty of resiliency and ability to bounce back. Jump in, the water is fine!

Ben

We, sir, are very much alike in our approach!

Take Care-

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Dragoastro)
Post #: 14
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/21/2015 9:22:56 AM   
urtel

It take me almost 2 years to get to 10/44 vs Jap AI, and i think that is realistic time for casual playing sometime 5-6 turns a day some time non, in average 1.5 turns a day.
By finish CG as allies i mean get to 1/45, because AI will probably be dead at this point, not so much because of AI as much because he will not have any more ships to fight even in ironman scenario, i'm not sure about nasty..

As Jap u will need 3 years if u want to try to get to 1/46 and i m not sure is anyone survived Soviet activation as Jap player, even agains AI?

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 15
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/21/2015 11:21:32 AM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Welcome.... I've been playing since 2009 with only a break of around half a year.. Played around 2500 turns in various different PBEMs. Haven't seen 1945 yet....

And yes, this a lot of value for you money

I think we'll be getting there before too long.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 16
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/21/2015 12:05:21 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

If you are playing allies, you only have to concern yourself with fuel and supply. Oil and resources you don't ever need to move, but you can if you like. Yes, you need to setup convoys to isolated island garrisons, and yes they will starve if you forget. Other than a great feeling of remorse on your part, there is likely to be little or no game impact.

If you are playing as the IJ with the economy on, then you need to understand and move all 4 economic resources: oil, fuel, resources, and supply. Besides the manual there are training websites, AAR's, and a lot of threads discussing this.

Pax

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/21/2015 1:16:57 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

I am curious so I can know how much of my life will be sucked away playing and enjoying this game.

All of it.

Once you get into it, this game is the cheapest game per hour played available. You will be spending hours a day, for years (Paraphrasing Bill)

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 18
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/22/2015 6:21:04 AM   
Yaab

Well, WITP:AE can suck all you leisure time for sure. Plus, it tends to spill into other areas of your life and affects i.e. bookreading habits.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 19
RE: Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed - 12/22/2015 9:48:57 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I am curious so I can know how much of my life will be sucked away playing and enjoying this game.

AE is life!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Grand Campaign - Overwhelmed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI