Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 8 running really slow

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows 8 running really slow Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 8 running really slow - 5/31/2013 9:37:26 AM   
collingwood

Like previous posts my machine also runs slow, real slow, unfortunately I am computer stupid and would be grateful if someone could explain in simple terms what I have to do. Many thanks in anticipation.
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 5/31/2013 3:18:46 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: collingwood

Like previous posts my machine also runs slow, real slow, unfortunately I am computer stupid and would be grateful if someone could explain in simple terms what I have to do. Many thanks in anticipation.

It almost certainly isn't Windows. You probably need to set start-up switches to match your CPU array. can you post more details of your computer's make-up? CPU chips especially.

The Moose

(in reply to collingwood)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/1/2013 9:32:53 AM   
collingwood

I trust this helps, Win8 Resolution 1920 x 1080,60 15.97GB RAM GEFORCE GT630 CPU Intel 17-3770 @ 3.40 GHZ PS I haven't got a clue ref switches. Tommy

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/1/2013 5:33:39 PM   
Quixote

Give this a try.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/1/2013 5:37:44 PM   
Quixote

The explanations on why this should help are in a PDF file in your game folder called What's New. Worth a read. If the above changes don't help (I think they will), then there are some other options listed in the file that may work better for your particular system.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/3/2013 1:21:43 PM   
collingwood

Many thanks for the help, believe it or not at the end of the day it was as simple as avoiding the auto exe and just having a straight forward exe, very strange.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/4/2013 9:11:55 AM   
afspret

I tried using this fix but can't seem to figure it out. In mine it ends with "autorun.exe", so I made a copy & in the Target box of that one I took out "autorun.exe" & replaced it with ".exe" & then the "multiaudio" line. When I finished I go a message saying the entry was not a valid path, or something like that.

Do I need to do a complete re-install & if so, what do I need to do different to ensure it installs with the target line entry ending with ".exe"?

Thanx in advance.

Oh, forgot to add, if it makes a difference, my game only seems to be running slow when I on the map screen. When I'm on any other screen everything seems to work as it should.

< Message edited by afspret -- 6/4/2013 9:22:15 AM >

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/4/2013 12:09:25 PM   
Quixote

You have to replace the 'autorun.exe' portion with 'War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe' (see the picture above - type the last part of your target line to look just like it.) You can't just delete the part that says autorun.

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 11:50:28 AM   
afspret

Figured out what I was doing wrong. The problem is still present though, but not as bad. I can scroll across the map, but its jerky, & if I have any movement radius rings on it takes forever to scroll. If I'm on any other screen theres a 2-3 second delay when I click on a switch such as TOE or Upgrade.

Could my monitor setting be a part of the problem, its at 1280x1024.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 5:56:32 PM   
Javakamp

Would it help to run in compatability mode? Win 7 or XP perhaps?

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 6:25:17 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

Make sure your scroll delay is set to 0.
And it might be your computer is not good enough. Even with my new high end computer I have some
jerkiness when scrolling with range circles and search arcs on.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 6:49:51 PM   
Quixote

quote:

And it might be your computer is not good enough. Even with my new high end computer I have some jerkiness when scrolling with range circles and search arcs on.

The engine for this game is around 11 years old, which makes it 462 years old in computer years. The worst new desktop on the market should be able to run AE with minimal issues. Anything even halfway decent should have almost no hesitation at all. Keep experimenting with your switches, drivers, etc. until you find something that works for your system.

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 8:35:23 PM   
afspret

I'll try running it in compatibility mode. And I do have the map scroll set at 0. My PC is an HP P7-1421 running with a "Next Gen AMD Quad Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor with an AMD Radeon HD 7560D graphics card.

Could the age of my monitor be an issue? Its a flat screen I bought about 4-5 years ago.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 10:03:14 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

No, the monitor should make no difference.

Are you using the -dd_sw command line switch? That usually helps mine.

< Message edited by Cpt Sherwood -- 6/6/2013 10:05:37 PM >

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/6/2013 11:15:30 PM   
wdolson

The command line switches were put there to deal with these issues. Even with the switches tuned perfectly, you will probably have some redraw issues if you have a lot of the overlays turned on. Things like roads, railroads, and hex borders take a lot of CPU cycles to draw. They should only be turned on to get an idea of where the computer thinks the roads are, etc. then turned off again.

Things like range circles don't slow things down too much because they are only drawn for one TF or base at a time.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 15
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 1:15:37 AM   
Cpt Sherwood

I agree, range circles has little effect. The search arcs add a bit of choppiness. Roads or hexsides adds quite a bit and both
together add a lot of chop. But I am using a 30" display at 2560 x 1600 resolution and I have to use the -dd_sw switch so I expect
my SLI 670s are not being used much.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 3:05:46 AM   
afspret

Okay I've tried running in XP(SP3) & Vista (which was the op sys on my last PC) & no joy. Here's some other settings: Clouds-On, Map Style-w/o Hexes, Hex Side Details-Off, Map Scroll- 0, all other delays: 1.5.

Another thing I've noticed is all or part of my task bar pops open & then closes after a second or so. IIRC it started doing this either right after I changed the target line on the desk top icon or when I briefly changed the monitor resolution.

Post #: 17
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 3:10:43 AM   
wdolson

Let's go back to the beginning and make sure we're all on the same page. What is your command line to start the game.

Bill

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 7:15:56 PM   
afspret

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -multiaudio -cpu4 -dd_sw

I also tried turning the roads off but got nice bright red lines where the roads should be.

Also I didn't make the change from "autorun.exe" to ".exe" in the target box until after installing the current official patch (1.01.08r9). Would re-installing & making the change before installing the patch make a difference?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 7:43:57 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

If you have bright red lines where the roads are, then you have the road display turned on. That will
cause a lot of choppiness.

It makes no difference when you do the command line switches.

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 7:49:42 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -multiaudio -cpu4 -dd_sw

I also tried turning the roads off but got nice bright red lines where the roads should be.

Also I didn't make the change from "autorun.exe" to ".exe" in the target box until after installing the current official patch (1.01.08r9). Would re-installing & making the change before installing the patch make a difference?

quote:

-multiaudio -cpu4 -dd_sw

-dd_swf (try putting the f in.)

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 7:54:26 PM   
Quixote

afspret, the switch recommendations given above are best suited for Intel processors. You have AMD. Try these out instead. -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2 -multiaudio

Note that these recommendations are taken straight from the Readme file you have in your War in the Pacific folder. It's pretty well written and is worth a read if you are still having problems or need to keep experimenting with switches.

Post #: 22
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/7/2013 9:19:56 PM   
empt_slith

tried all of the following, no go :(
switching to win 7 is the only solution?

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/8/2013 5:45:39 AM   
afspret

I was playing around with various switch changes in the 'read me' file & I found a couple where everything works as its suppose too, but the game loads with a reduced screen size. I'm at work now & can't remember what combo I used, so I'll try what Quixote & Zuluhour recommend when I get home. Can't remember if I tried in Win7 or not, but will give that a try as well.

(in reply to empt_slith)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/8/2013 7:49:24 PM   
empt_slith

playing in windowed mode solved it,too bad i cant play with fullscreen on.

Post #: 25
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/8/2013 10:24:26 PM   
zuluhour

Did you try a command line like

-f -dd_swf

(in reply to empt_slith)
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/8/2013 10:26:46 PM   
zuluhour

please copy your command settings here again

I would use this first:

-f -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2 -dd_swf

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 6/9/2013 12:18:17 AM   
wdolson

In windowed mode you can make the screen bigger. Use the -px and -py switches like this:

-px1600 -py800

The entire game window will be enlarged and more of the map will be displayed. I have my px and py settings set to just shy of the monitor's resolution so it just about fills the screen.

When you were running full screen, you may have run into a problem with a difference between the game's native resolution and the monitor's best resolution. LCD monitors like running at their full resolution. They can do lower resolutions by doing a sort of extrapolation. Some resolutions will look fuzzy on an LCD because the graphics card has to do more work to create that resolution. Changing to a slightly different resolution can sometimes make the image much sharper because that sharper resolution is easier to divide up and spread the image over the pixels.

The game's native resolution is 1024X768 which might be an odd division of the max and the computer is spending extra time calculating where things go on the screen. When you run in windowed mode (without the px and py switches), the game is painted on exactly 1024X768 pixels and everything is running at a resolution the monitor likes.

Bill

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 7/3/2013 10:22:29 PM   
afspret

I have tried just about every combo shown in "Read Me File-21" and nothing seems to help, except for running it in windows mode. Even that has issues, such as split maps, bouncing air combat resolution box & ship pics not fitting into the ship info screen. I've even tried re-installing but still the same.

Another thing, each time I've installed the game, I get the following error message: "Invalid RegKey: HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\MatrixGames\WarInThePacific Admiral's Edition". The odd thing is I don't get it when installing from the disk, I only get it after installing the patch v.1.01.08r9.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 8 running really slow - 4/8/2015 10:19:40 PM   
rizzle2830

I also tried every possible combination with "-cpu#" etc. I tried windowed mode and that made it run normal, but regardless of what resolution you use, windowed mode really sucks. Desperate, I tried some of the other commands on the list and found an unlikely solution: -dd_sw -deepColor -px1600 -py800

The resolution change isn't what did it, but as soon as I added "-deepColor" the game went to normal speeds. I didn't think it would have such an impact, but for some reason simply setting the game to 32 colors made it run faster, even though my PC specs FAR exceed the system requirements. It seems like WITP just isn't windows 8 friendly. There are still points where it chugs, but 90% of the time it runs like normal.

< Message edited by rizzle2830 -- 4/8/2015 11:22:13 PM >

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows 8 running really slow Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI