Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to get started as Soviets in GC? (vs AI)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How to get started as Soviets in GC? (vs AI) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to get started as Soviets in GC? (vs AI) - 7/4/2020 8:37:35 AM   
kvnrthr

I'm quite a new player though I've lurked on these forums a while, and have only previously tried smaller scenarios. I have a fair handle on the maneuvering of units but the larger decisions confuse me.

Every time I see an AAR for the full campaign, there always seems a lot for the Soviets to do in turn 1 of 1941. Someone always mentions disbanding all air groups for some reason (why do this? when exactly should you bring your aircraft back?), and then there is the issue of factory evacuation (I think someone mentioned some factories have no upgrade paths and just die off later in the game?). Someone mentions disbanding mechanized units to pool trucks (how many trucks is a lot or enough? I don't really have a frame of reference.) There are a lot of decisions I don't feel equipped to make.

I feel I have a very poor grasp on the bigger picture. Is there any short guide available on what to do in the first few turns as the Soviets? (and later on, how many divisions of cavalry/infantry/tanks etc actually need to be built and how many can you support) I'm not looking for the best optimal set up against multiplayer opponents, I just want to avoid making stupid mistakes against the AI.

Still, even if I can get away with fumbling against the AI, I want to get a better understanding of the game mechanics and what is good strategy for this logistical/production game for the Soviets.

EDIT: And for air doctrine, can I just set it so some value and leave it at that for the whole game? Or do I need to keep fiddling with it all the time?

< Message edited by kvnrthr -- 7/4/2020 8:39:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to get started as Soviets in GC? (vs AI) - 7/4/2020 10:55:12 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: kvnrthr
Someone always mentions disbanding all air groups for some reason (why do this? when exactly should you bring your aircraft back?)

Do not confuse disbanding air groups with sending them to the national reserve. There are good reasons to send many of your airgroups to NR, but they will be there to bring back in any future turn.

quote:

and then there is the issue of factory evacuation (I think someone mentioned some factories have no upgrade paths and just die off later in the game?).

Some do not have upgrade paths, but many do. You need to look at every factory details to check

quote:

Someone mentions disbanding mechanized units to pool trucks (how many trucks is a lot or enough?

A lot believe you should disband motorcycle support units as they provide no special benefit given the vehicles they use. If you are playing the new beta v1.12 the consensus seems to be that vehicles are no longer a constraint for the Soviets.

quote:

Is there any short guide available on what to do in the first few turns as the Soviets?

The AARs by Shalkai are good for giving you a lot of those details on the first turns

quote:

ORIGINAL: kvnrthr (and later on, how many divisions of cavalry/infantry/tanks etc actually need to be built and how many can you support)

There are scattered posts about how many millions of men you need or how many guns at different parts of the war. And old advice on how many tank corps you want an what Red Army 2.0 should look like. I could search to find some of the links. It is not consolidated.

quote:

And for air doctrine, can I just set it so some value and leave it at that for the whole game? Or do I need to keep fiddling with it all the time?

You can just set it to a value and leave it. Fiddling can improve your results but not fiddling will not cripple your air force.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to kvnrthr)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How to get started as Soviets in GC? (vs AI) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI