Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Low altitude penetration / tactical flight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Low altitude penetration / tactical flight Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 1:28:47 AM   
FoxZz

Hello,

Here is very interesting series of article on the low altitude penetraion doctrine and a critic of the all stealth motto:

Part 1 :
http://warontherocks.com/2016/03/stuck-on-denial-part-i-the-u-s-air-force-and-stealth/

Part 2:
http://warontherocks.com/2016/04/rediscovering-low-altitude-getting-past-the-air-forces-overcommitment-to-stealth/

Part3 :
http://warontherocks.com/2016/04/low-altitude-penetration-stuck-on-denial-part-iii/

On this topic, the story of the first French air raid in Irak during the first golf-war, first raid that was done with a very low altitude penetration and illustrate very well what is explained in the first articles posted above. Sadly, it's in French, but the google translation of the page is quiet accurate, it's very undertsandable : http://www.pilote-chasse-11ec.com/mission-de-guerre-al-jaber-17-janvier-1991
The pilot explains how he flew the penetration at 100 feet, and how he is use to fly much lower, at some point during the engagement he flew at heights of 20 feets.

At the light of those articles, I would ask if it would be possible to lower the ingame minimum altitude of planes above ground and sea to smaller values, indeed, ingame it's currently at 200 feet AGL and 100 feet ASL, which is high compared to the values that have been reported in this thread.

I think minimal altitude AGL should be between 20fts and 100fts and ASL between 10fts and 50fts.
Minimal altitude release of some weapons could also bet set lower, like Ashms or cruise missiles.
An even lower latitude should be set for helicopters that sometimes fly less than a meter above the ground behind the trees before quickly popping up and hiding again, or during tactical flights. Helicopters cannot do this yet ingame.

Minimum altitude would be set according different principles, planes set with a low veterancy would have a higher minimal altitude than planes with a high veterancy, and if the plane has an advanced terrain following system, than the plane could fly at the game minimal altitude independantly from its veterancy, etc. Minimal altitude could also change with sea state, etc.

Here are some footages that show aircrafts flying operationnaly at heights lower than the ingame limits :

Argentinians skyhawks during the Falklands war :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0de4E8ZTp4U#t=4m50s

Mirages and Jaguar hugging the ground/sea :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcwuQFaxsGU

Helicopters tactical flight :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMzcNNRB658#t=0m50s

Hope those articles interested you and that you'll consider those changes :).

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/3/2016 1:40:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 1:32:02 AM   
mikmykWS

Very interesting. Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 2
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 1:55:30 AM   
Dysta

I think it should have a click-box option to check/uncheck something like "ALAP" (as-low(-altitude)-as-possible) or "surface-skimming (if allowed)" option. When it is on, the altitude adjustment will be disabled, and the pilot in different plane size, loadout and proficiency will depends to the minimum flight height.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 2:03:19 AM   
mikmykWS

Yes. Our air ops wizard Ragnar is working on a really cool flight/strike planner. I'm guessing he'll take a look at this for it.

Mike

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 4
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 2:23:20 AM   
Kitchens Sink

The Wonderful Wizard of Ops. It has a nice ring to it.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 5
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 3:14:47 AM   
FoxZz

Great news !

(in reply to Kitchens Sink)
Post #: 6
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 5:20:38 AM   
ComDev

Interesting, thanks

Minimum altitude actually depends on a number of variables, including terrain following or terrain avoidance radar, weather/sea state, day/night conditions, aircraft size, pilot skil etc.

Helicopters can operate down to 50ft in clear weather and day/night conditions. Tactical fighter jets can fly at 80ft overwater. Etc etc.

There's also the fact that pilots only fly at these altitudes for a very short duration of time. It requires extreme skills and a lot of concentration to do this, and even the best of pilots get quickly worn out. It also only happens over completely flat terrain, or in well-known terrain. As such it would make absolutely no sense to fly an entire 600nm strike mission at 20ft.

Oh yeah and IIRC the upper layers of some sand dunes are transparent to terrain-following radar, which lead to near-crashes of A-6 Intruders during the 1991 Gulf War. Flying this low isn't without risk :)

< Message edited by emsoy -- 6/3/2016 5:29:54 AM >

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 7
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 5:28:50 AM   
ComDev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitchens Sink

The Wonderful Wizard of Ops. It has a nice ring to it.

Lol

Post #: 8
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 6:18:28 AM   
FoxZz

Great that so many variables are taken into account.

Of course, pilots won't do that for all the flight duration for a simple question of fuel consomption, but as it's explained in the Jaguar article, when they begin their penetration they dive to the ground and go lower and lower and in the final stages of it they fly very very low. Many bombs argentinians bombs did not explosed during the Falklands war because the planes where flying so low that the mechanism couldn't arm before the bomb hit the target.

But with the new advanced terrain following systems that can work both with or without radar, flying very low and very fast in adverse weather conditions/at night has become much more easier.
And even without, you would be amazed of what trained pilots are able to do. I met once a Gazelle helicopter intructor, he told me that for training, they were going to fly at night under high-voltage electric lines, and there is plenty of those examples.

Anyway, I believe minimum theorical flight altitude should still be lower a bit. For fighters with advanced terrain following modes or ace training it could be as low as 20 feets ASL and 60 feets AGL.

By the way, I think a new variable should be included if it's not already the case, a second crew member should allow a fighter to fly lower, indeed, the master of arms work on the mission while the pilot can focus on flying, while a solo pilot has to handle everything in the same time.
Actually, a second crew member could be a variable that could play on many things like reducing the OODA loop, reducing the detection time and increasing its distance (4 eyeballs instead of 2), etc

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/3/2016 6:43:46 PM >

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 9
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 11:23:10 AM   
Gunner98

I certainly agree that it is possible, if not routine for well trained air force units to fly very low. I've been a passenger in an OH-58 'flying below the tumbleweeds', best thrill-ride ever! But it needs to be tempered/balanced with some risk.

There are plenty of examples. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLJlXfXHJXY

Although this one did not destroy the aircraft, it would at least send the AC to maintenance for the rest of the scenario.

I can't find a reference but recall a story of an F-104 (I think) that hit an M-113 during a Reforger Exercise in Germany in the 70s. That's low flying - but to implement it in game there should be a risk that the AC crashes.

That risk should be tempered by pilot skill, plane size, flight aids etc, well everything Emsoy mentions.

B

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 10
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 11:31:07 AM   
Dysta

Will fog/rain increase the risk or crash when skimming? Even for seasoned pilots they will be freaking out when weather get the best of them.

So that is why I said "when possible" if there is an option.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 11
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 2:26:45 PM   
ComDev

Hmm yeah need to think about how to do this. Should probably be limited by skill and weather, as a minimum.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 12
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 2:28:53 PM   
ComDev

BTW terrain-following systems use automatic 'ride' modes and haven't heard about any of these allowing a/c to go below 150 ft.

Guys?

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 13
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 4:12:18 PM   
Primarchx

Nice article. Can we get an F-15G WW variant into DB3k?

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 14
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 4:42:38 PM   
FoxZz

Can you be clearer about those ride modes ?

I'm quiet sure the terrain following system allow the plane to go very low and fast in all weather conditions. On the most advanced ones, it works either with a ground map loaded into the system, so the plane can stay fully passive, or it works with the terrain following radar or work with both. The map tells the system where are the high voltage lines, the wind turnines, anything that could obstruct the plane path.

Here is a Rafale in auto terrain following mode 90feets above the sea, and it can go lower :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-etXAmulI

I gonna ask extra information on this.

About a risk of crash, it could actually be interesting to implement, especially if a damage model is included in the future, planes could also have random mechanical problems, that would have more chances to occur if the plane is from an early generation and if it has 2 engines or only 1, etc
On the chances of crash during a mission, it would be interesting to find statistics on crash during low flying training.

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/3/2016 5:17:30 PM >

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 15
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 6:12:37 PM   
gosnold

quote:

ORIGINAL: emsoy

BTW terrain-following systems use automatic 'ride' modes and haven't heard about any of these allowing a/c to go below 150 ft.

Guys?

Rafale can do 300ft above ground and 100ft above sea in auto terrain following mode, at 450 knts.
Source: http://www.defesanet.com.br/rafale/noticia/10893/Shooting-Down-an-Aggressor-on-My-Six--Vive-la-difference-/

Interestingly, the Rafale and its SBU-54 Hammer are exactly what the warontherocks article calls for: a plane that can fly very low, with a serious EW suite, and a standoff weapon that can be fired from low altitude (SBU-54 range is 15km when launched from low altitude)

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 16
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 6:39:36 PM   
FoxZz

Indeed, you summed up the philosophy behind the Rafale penetration capabilities. SPECTRA also detects threats and give the pilot a path to avoid them.

Yes I red this article, never found the part 3 though. He said that they flew at this height, but do not say it's the lowest altitude possible. Later in the article he says flying at 20m above the ground at 900km/h :
quote:

Peace of Mind at 900km/h, 20 meters from the ground and surrounded by bad guys

I've been told AGL, hilly terrain, below 200 feet 550 knts. Than, the pilot can get lower, it will still receive indications from its terrain following system, like when to turn and can also rely on the terrain avoidance system, etc. The pictures on the following links show what it looks like for the pilot

http://tpe-rafale.e-monsite.com/medias/files/la-fonction-de-suivi-de-terrain.pdf

I think it depense mainly of the parameters the pilot sets in his autopilot, where he is flying and the regulation that goes with it, the type of terrain, if he has a buddy with him, training, risk you are willing to take if you want to achieve the mission. In the end you can end up flying meters above the ground, you can see that in the Jaguar article where the pilot seeks safety by going as low as possible.

I remember reading the novel "Going Solo" from Roald Dahl, where he tells how he escaped a Bf-109 by flying as low as possible full speed, just above fences and grass.

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/3/2016 6:58:38 PM >

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 17
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 9:26:27 PM   
ComDev

quote:

ORIGINAL: gosnold

quote:

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Guys?

Rafale can do 300ft above ground and 100ft above sea in auto terrain following mode, at 450 knts.
Source: http://www.defesanet.com.br/rafale/noticia/10893/Shooting-Down-an-Aggressor-on-My-Six--Vive-la-difference-/

Interestingly, the Rafale and its SBU-54 Hammer are exactly what the warontherocks article calls for: a plane that can fly very low, with a serious EW suite, and a standoff weapon that can be fired from low altitude (SBU-54 range is 15km when launched from low altitude)

Thanks! 30m is 100 ft so the sources seem to match.

In the game it is 100ft and 200ft currently. Guess aircraft should have separate terrain following altitudes, rather than hard-coded ones lol.

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 18
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 9:32:37 PM   
thewood1

One of my best friends from college spent 6 years in USMC Harriers and 5 years in F/A-18Cs before retiring as Brig. General. I use him as a source for things like this...

He said if you don't have a truly dedicated and modern terrain following radar system...200 ft is the minimum in good weather. He said at sea in calm weather, you might see 100 ft. With a modern terrain following system, you would still be limited to 50 ft for short runs in calm weather and 100 ft over ground.

He stated emphatically that any type of wind or sea state would immediately bring minimum above 200 ft. One funny comment was that in the North Atlantic, there are probably 3 days a year that you would consider calm.

My friend said that at 400-450 kts, even the slightest downdraft will push a jet 100-150 ft down. No human can react to that in time. There fore NATO has heavy restrictions on training at anything below 200 ft. He also said loadout and fuel load make the biggest difference.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 19
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 10:18:00 PM   
Kitchens Sink

I seem to remember a VERY old version of Harpoon that had an option to fly nap-of-the-earth. Then it would start to crash a certain percentage of you planes due to "low altitude pilot error". It was a horrid idea

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 20
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/3/2016 11:36:30 PM   
FoxZz

The ground effect is something often uderestimated, and it makes flying very close to the ground much more easy than it seems : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_%28aerodynamics%29
Of course ground effect works only if you can fly above flat space, like sea or desert, but it mitigates the risk of crash if you apply a small overpressure on the stick. Hell when you see those planes turning at 2 meters from the water ...

About the terrain following system, it seems there is several mode, first you can disable it and do what ever you please, second, you have the automatic terrain following system where the planes fly almost all by itself doesn't matter the weather or the period of day, which is very safe, (here the minimal values seems indeed to be 200ft AGL and 100ft ASL), and then there is the manual terran following system where the pilot uses the data and indications of the plane, but is still in full control of its trajectory, and thus, can go much lower.

For the accidents wdue to low level flying, I looked for the French Air force for the 3 types of planes that flew the most of those missions :

Mirage 2000 D/N : 4 crashes, 161 planes delivered to FAF, 28 years of service
Jaguar A : 160 planes, 32 years of service, 3 crashes, including 2 during actual operation.
Mirage F1 : 5 accidents while performing low flying exercices, including one that saw a complete patrol of 3 aircrafts crashing into a moutain during a night bad weather training, over a total periode of 50 years and on a total of 246 planes for France.

For over 500 planes, and 50 years, 10 crashes occured during low level flying training and 2 during low level operations. The number might be higher because some accidents don't have the explanation that goes with it. But that's not that high. I'd be curious to have more statistics in other airforces, etc.

Ithink we have brought plently of evidences here articles, footages, etc, I could try to find more, if needed, but the devs should be able to find a good solution.

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/3/2016 11:54:14 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 2:14:40 AM   
thewood1

The B-1B has one of the most sophisticated teraain following radars around...from the "B-1B Bomber and Options for Enhancements" report from Rockwell...page 15.

"Small Payload Capacity During Terrain-following Flight

The B-lB is designed to fly at low elevations of 200 to 400 feet during a
penetrating mission in order to avoid Soviet air defenses. During such
terrain-following flights, the B-lB must have the ability to maneuver,
including the ability to pull up sharply to avoid hitting hills. To main-
tain the ability to pull up at the level desired by the Air Force (2.4 g's,
or gravitational equivalents, for 10 seconds), however, the B-lB can
only carry about 125,000 pounds of munitions and fuel, which is
significantly less than originally planned
. This situation has occurred
because the B-lB cannot, with its basic flight control system, fly at as
high an angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the relative
air flow) as anticipated, reducing the amount of weight it can carry.
For any given load of munitions, this reduced payload capacity
restricts the amount of fuel the B-lB can carry, which in turn limits
its range. With a load of eight SRAM-As and eight B61 bombs, for
example, the B-1B has a low-altitude, terrain-following range of just
over 1,300 miles
(see Appendix A for the methodology used in cal-
culating payload capacity and range)."

Again, as pointed out before now in writing; low-level is relative. You are simply dismissing the impact of loadout, fuel, range, and mission needs. Anecdotal stories of people flying at 100 ft don't cut.

Information on crashes are not useful at all unless you can show hours flying at low-level vs normal flight and what the definition of low-level is. What if the the Mirage 2000 only flew 20 missions at your definition? Now you are talking 20% crashes at low-level. Even 2% would be enough to make running at those levels only in the most extreme cases.

btw, the B-1's radar is the AN/APQ-164. It might be one of the most sophisticated terrain following radars yet developed. There is still not a lot known about the signal processing capabilities and stealth modes.

My point is, that anything below 100 ft is most likely an abberation and should have severe penalties on payload, range and risk.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/4/2016 2:23:14 AM >

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 22
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 2:34:14 AM   
Kitchens Sink

A lot of this Low Level training goes on in North Wales in an area called LF-7 (Low Fly Area 7).

Here is an amusing article of how one of the plane crews decided to entertain the "Plane Spotters" that come to watch various countries do low-level training:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289185/Navigators-gag-amuses-plane-spotters-fighter-jet-races-Snowdonia.html

These guys have a sense of humor at 250 ft and 500mph

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 23
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 2:39:38 AM   
thewood1

Flight International April 1986 stated that the Tornado was starting qualifications for terrain following with a goal of 45m to 90m for short runs.

The same article stated that the F-16 ran at 200 ft in terrain following mode as a trial for validation of a TFR system...both radar and Terprom.

Note in the following article, the TFR setting doesn't go below 100 ft.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-lockheed-martin-f-16ef-block-60-bridging-the-174510/

This is from a site that gets referenced a lot on Tornado TFR discussions...

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-549486.html

About halfway down the page...

"itsnotthatbloodyhard
18th Oct 2014, 22:00
As contemporaries of a sort, how did the Tornado TFR compare to that on the F-111?

Pretty similar and closely related, as far as I can tell. The F-111 had 2 TFR units rather than one, so that if the active one failed, the other could take over without having a fail-flyup. Handy in war, but for peacetime the second unit was generally run in a ground mapping mode so that any failure would get the jet away from the ground. Dunno about the Fin, but in the -111 500' SCP (set clearance plane) was a weather mode, where the TFR didn't look above the aircraft (to try and avoid flying up into heavy rain etc). This meant a limit of M.85. For the other SCPs, down to 200', the TFR was cleared out to M1.2.

With a very different flying environment in Australia, we could (and did) TFR in IMC or at night pretty much anytime, provided we'd deconflicted properly with other operators. The TFR was a very good system, once you got used to seeing car headlights above you and having things go whizzing past very close laterally."

If you read through the discussions, you'll see that 200 ft was considered very low, and possibly below allowed minimum heights.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/4/2016 3:10:33 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 3:11:36 AM   
thewood1

The short of it is that 100-200 ft is probably a good limit for low-level penetration flights. Anything significantly lower is anecdotal and most likely very specific to a short run in for an unusual situation.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 25
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 3:17:00 AM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Flight International April 1986 stated that the Tornado was starting qualifications for terrain following with a goal of 45m to 90m for short runs.

The same article stated that the F-16 ran at 200 ft in terrain following mode as a trial for validation of a TFR system...both radar and Terprom.

Note in the following article, the TFR setting doesn't go below 100 ft.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-lockheed-martin-f-16ef-block-60-bridging-the-174510/

This is from a site that gets referenced a lot on Tornado TFR discussions...

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-549486.html

About halfway down the page...

"itsnotthatbloodyhard
18th Oct 2014, 22:00
As contemporaries of a sort, how did the Tornado TFR compare to that on the F-111?

Pretty similar and closely related, as far as I can tell. The F-111 had 2 TFR units rather than one, so that if the active one failed, the other could take over without having a fail-flyup. Handy in war, but for peacetime the second unit was generally run in a ground mapping mode so that any failure would get the jet away from the ground. Dunno about the Fin, but in the -111 500' SCP (set clearance plane) was a weather mode, where the TFR didn't look above the aircraft (to try and avoid flying up into heavy rain etc). This meant a limit of M.85. For the other SCPs, down to 200', the TFR was cleared out to M1.2.

With a very different flying environment in Australia, we could (and did) TFR in IMC or at night pretty much anytime, provided we'd deconflicted properly with other operators. The TFR was a very good system, once you got used to seeing car headlights above you and having things go whizzing past very close laterally."

If you read through the discussions, you'll see that 200 ft was considered very low, and possibly below allowed minimum heights.

From the same site at the bottom...

"Incidentally, during GW1 the II(AC)/13 recce misions were flown by some crews down to 100' agl using manual TF, supplemented by NVGs (both crew memebers). Reason for being so low - the recce kit (IRLS/SLIR) was not configured for medium level. On the other hand I personally considered that 100' was unnecessarily low, especially as the speeds flown (520-540) could lead to gaps in the imagery (V/H)."

From a Tornado pilot. Interesting that scan speeds become an issue at high speed below 200 ft.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 26
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 3:38:17 AM   
thewood1

For the first time, I found the base plot documented for A-4 attacks on RN ships.

The aviationist interviewed one of the real Argentinian pilots

Take off to 27k ft until 100 mi from RN ships. Drop to 100 ft and follow coast of main island to San Carlos's southern entrance. Drop to 50 ft until 1000 m from ships. Pop up to 300 feet to release bombs. Hard turn and once leveled out and down to 50 ft until clear of the sound. I should point out that one A-4 crashed into the sea on a maneuver to escape. A sober reminder about why limits are typically set on low altitude flight.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 27
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 4:40:19 AM   
magi

Great thread... Many fine responses and links.... Thanks.....

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 28
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 4:43:47 AM   
FoxZz

quote:

Again, as pointed out before now in writing; low-level is relative. You are simply dismissing the impact of loadout, fuel, range, and mission needs. Anecdotal stories of people flying at 100 ft don't cut.

I understand what you mean, but the automated terrain following system would have the same minimal altitude than the one we have today, what would change is if the plane goes manual, or doesn't have a terrain following system, all that would be dependant of all those factors that are already included ingame (high fuelconsomption at low altitude, impact of weight on agility). I will expplain more clearly what I mean later in the post.

quote:

Information on crashes are not useful at all unless you can show hours flying at low-level vs normal flight and what the definition of low-level is. What if the the Mirage 2000 only flew 20 missions at your definition? Now you are talking 20% crashes at low-level. Even 2% would be enough to make running at those levels only in the most extreme cases.

Well I don't know the exact statistics, but this gives us an overview, and I can assure you that the planes I quoted did a lot of low flying. For example the Mirage 2000N squadrons only mission was low level penetration to deliver the nucler armement, and they do almost only this. Anyway, my point is, if there is a crash chance variable, it should not be too high.

quote:

My point is, that anything below 100 ft is most likely an abberation and should have severe penalties on payload, range and risk.

It's not anecdotical, I have produced in the OP many evidences that flying under 100feets isn't a fantasy, but an operationnal, a survival necessity. Go tell the skyhawks or the Jaguar pilots that it was an aberration to fligh this low. If they did it means that they thought it was necessary, people don't take risks for nothing. To me those experiences are very significant, we're talking of the last two conventional wars. And again, with training this is very much achievable, look at the videos. It should be doable ingame.

Anyway, this brings me to the core of this post : Let's say that Nap Of the Earth (NOE) flying is a doctrine option that can by enabled or disbaled, like the jettison option. From this, we have a minimal theorical value, the lowest altitude value of the game for airplanes. From this value, many variables will inflict maluses, interact between themselves : (agility/weight/plane size, weather, period of the day, experience of the pilots and number of crewman, relief, aircraft properties, speed, base), the interaction will set the plane it's lowest altitude.

OPTION 1 : detailed flying mode system with crash risk

Let's take an example : F15E, thanks to its Terrain Following System (TFS) and flight enveloppe, it can fly in any conditions at heights of 100fts above water/flat terrain 200 feets above relief, without the crash risk roll dice. Now if the NOE doctrine box is checked and that the player decides to go under this limit, he can set a manual altitude up to the "minimal theorical altitude", than there is a random crash dice roll, the chance of crashing is set by weather, agility, pilot experience, period of the day, etc. So if there is two pilot which have an ace training, that the plane has a terrain avoidance system (included in the terrain following), that the weather is good, the chance of crashing is almost inexistant.
Now let's take a B29 with a bad base agility and heavy bomb load, no terrain following/avoidance capabilities, with a trained crew, in terrible weather conditions, at night and at maximum speed, than he chances to crash are much higher than the B29 (but he still has good chances of surviving).

OPTION 2 : simple flying system without crash risk

Let's take the same F15E, its advanced terrain following property act as an insurance, he is sure to be able to fly in any weather conditions, day or night, with a rookie crew and at max speed. If the NOE box is checked, than its minimal altitude can go below than the level of the TFS, but the extent of how low he can go will depend of the weather, agility, terrain avoidance system (if there is no terrain following), crew experience, etc. In the end, if all the parameters are green, he will ultimately be able to reach the "minimal theorical altitude".
If the plane doesn't have advanced avionics, than he does not get the insurance and thus the minimal altitude he will be able to reach will always be dependant of all the variables, but if all the variable are green, then he can reach the minimal theorical range. If the NOE box is not checked, the plane minimal altitude will be limited and even in perfect conditions he won't be able to reach the minimal theorical altitude, he will be blocked by a "glass floor", like it is today.
This OPTION 2 is pretty much what Dysta proposed at the begining of the thread.

Than we could set different type of terrain following system, like regular and advanced, which would have different insurances.

To sum up, what changes from the current situation is that in OPTION 1 planes can get as low as they want but are exposed to a crash risk, if NOE is unckecked, situation stays the same as currently basically. The player evealuates the risks by himself.
In OPTION 2, player cannot set manually the minimum altitude, the AI calculates the risks for him, but the AI is more daring than currently. If NOE is unchecked, then nothing changes for the sides concerned.

The NOE doctrine setting allows the scenario editor to simulate security measures in the airforces depending of the context he wants to set. A guerilla mission might not need to take risks, but a total war means that pilots can do whatever is necessary.

Also, it might be interesting to look at the minimum release altitude of some weapons, especially air-to-ground missiles, most of them are designed to be fired from very low altitude. I think many release altitude are too high, it might be interesting to look into it.

< Message edited by FoxZz -- 6/4/2016 5:12:35 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 29
RE: Low altitude penetration / tactical flight - 6/4/2016 11:54:33 AM   
thewood1

Read through the Tornado thread. 200 ft is not only the restricted minimum, but note the discussion about 100 ft and that being the lowest they will comfortably fly in manual. So low-level strike pilots state that 200 is the TFR setting minimum, B-1 documentation states 200 is the minimum setting, the F-16 page shows that 200 is the minimum, and the Tornado pilots state they don't fly below 100 ft, even in manual. Do I really need to show any more than that.

I think the game is good at 100/200 ft. It might actually be a little too aggressive.

edit...

Went through the links you provided in detail. All I got from it as far as penetration altitude was that NATO considers 500 ft Very Low and that the French planes in 1991 flew at 100 ft, and it looks like no lower. So my contention stands at 100 ft and 200 ft.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/4/2016 12:15:18 PM >

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Low altitude penetration / tactical flight Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI