Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shouldn't something bad be happening?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Shouldn't something bad be happening? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/7/2016 1:43:33 PM   
Der Kuenstler

I'm playing my first campaign vs. AI as Germany on normal with the "mild Winter" option. It is Spring of 1943. I notice I lose about 8-10,000 men per turn to attrition and what-not. But then under production I gain around 30,000 men so it doesn't matter. This past Winter was not any problem at all - my losses didn't even increase. I have more than enough vehicles: 162K vs. 138K needed. Supply is always good. Soviet losses over 11 million while Axis losses around 1.7 million. Almost all my fighting units are 95% TOE or higher. Shouldn't my men at least be getting lice or something? Are my settings too easy?
Post #: 1
RE: Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/7/2016 1:59:47 PM   
821Bobo

If you play on normal with mild blizzard and no Soviet bonus than yes, vs AI your settings are easy. You may try human opponent or boost the AI.

(in reply to Der Kuenstler)
Post #: 2
RE: Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/7/2016 6:02:42 PM   
Der Kuenstler

OK thanks will bump it up some...is there some "standard" settings that typical AI players tend to use here? I doubt if I'll ever play a human opponent - don't want the commitment involved...

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 3
RE: Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/7/2016 7:04:48 PM   
Commanderski

You can bump the settings up gradually to about 120. Some things happen when they reach 110 and again at 120.

One thing great about playing the AI is that it's always patiently waiting for you, no matter the time between turns...

Post #: 4
RE: Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/7/2016 7:24:33 PM   
Joel Billings

Once you understand the game system and have experienced 20-40 turns of play, we recommend you play at Challenging Level. Some players prefer to just give help to the AI and not to weaken their own side, in which case setting the AI help levels at 110 and then moving to 120 if it's still too easy is one way to go.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 5
RE: Shouldn't something bad be happening? - 6/14/2016 12:39:40 AM   
Twigster

Thanks for posting this. I am in my first play-through as Germany, GC, alt CV, Normal difficulty, regular Soviet Winter 1941 rules (that first Winter turn was a blast!), all other settings default (full FoW). In retrospect, I do wish that I had received the memo to go to Challenging after 20-40 hrs. of game play- I am currently at January 1945. On the other hand, I now am completely familiar with all aspects of game play, needing to bone up only on the finer points of aircraft management and support units. As it has transpired, I have had a lot of fun watching the slow build-up of Soviet strength over the years, albeit with some trepidation, naturally. The war has been largely along the Dnepr line (roughly Leningrad- Nikolayev and I too have wondered about the AI aggression at the Normal difficulty level BUT that said there have been a few tense battles/offensives. I have particularly enjoyed watching the unit upgrades and ground element swaps. As it stands, the best I can get is an Axis Minor Victory and this late in the game the best the AI can achieve is Minor Soviet Victory- although now I am figuring that unless the AI becomes MUCH more aggressive, or my logistics deteriorates greatly and unaccountably, I will pull off the Axis Minor. I will play it all the way out, hope to post screen shots of the final important screens. After that, unless I can find a real player opponent ( this has been with v 1.08.07)I will bump up to at least Challenging and play more with the settings.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
A Question - 6/14/2016 12:41:51 AM   
Twigster

If I were to change the Difficulty and other settings as far into a game as I am, will the new settings take effect? Or will that have to wait for the next game?

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 7
RE: A Question - 6/14/2016 12:58:26 AM   
Der Kuenstler

Changes work immediately...I'm still learning stuff so I'm going to ride this one out like it is...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twigster

If I were to change the Difficulty and other settings as far into a game as I am, will the new settings take effect? Or will that have to wait for the next game?

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 8
RE: A Question - 6/14/2016 6:31:19 PM   
HMSWarspite

I switched to Challenging as soon as I had learnt the basic mechanics. I prefer not to learn bad habits. Mind you, you cannot avoid that realisation once you switch to humans. But I play mostly AI still... they don't mind slow play!

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Post #: 9
RE: A Question - 6/14/2016 8:04:24 PM   
Twigster

quote:

Changes work immediately...I'm still learning stuff so I'm going to ride this one out like it is...

Thanks.

I am thinking that I might want to play through an entire GC at higher difficulty level and harder settings before I seriously take on a Soviet human player.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 10
RE: A Question - 6/16/2016 3:41:33 AM   
Farfarer61

Try Soviet AI at all settings for Soviets 125%, Axis Normal (100%), full Harsh Blizzard, and Sov 1 to 1 = 2 to 1 on offence.

As long as you don't do crazy huge encirclements which the AI cannot recognize, you will have a challenging game, with enormous numbers Guards Corps to face in 1943. In fact I think there is a coding error as 75% on units ( on a strict visual count) are Guards, but who cares it is the AI.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 11
RE: A Question - 6/16/2016 6:14:32 PM   
Twigster

quote:

Try Soviet AI at all settings for Soviets 125%, Axis Normal (100%), full Harsh Blizzard, and Sov 1 to 1 = 2 to 1 on offence.

Thanks! I will try those settings.

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Shouldn't something bad be happening? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI