Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive? - 6/24/2016 5:50:42 AM   
Amnese

As I've noted in a few recent posts here, I'm just learning WitE, and I've commenced my first full campaign as the Germans against the Russian AI [again, just to learn the ropes].

I'm 7 turns in, and my main concern is that I'm really unsure how my offensive is going.

My northern push wasn't too great, and I'm still about 10 hexes from Leningrad. I've been doing okay in the middle, and am about 10 hexes from Moscow. While in the south there's virtually no opposition, I'm held outside the Crimea, but have captured Dnepropetrovsk.

But of course, capturing ground is only one part of it. I'm worried I haven't destroyed enough Soviet material. Soviet losses are [only?] 800,000. Fortunately I've only lost about 60,000 myself. Furthermore, my offensives have all pretty much ground to a halt for the time being.

When I compare to a few other AARs on here, it looks like I've captured more ground, but have inflicted far fewer casualties. Not quite knowing 'what happens next' for the Russians, I'm concerned this may not be enough.

What are some of the signs you look for in an opening German offensive? Is there a point where you can look at something in particular and say 'Nup, we haven't done enough here, we're doomed'? Or is it more of a vibe you get from experience?

Post #: 1
RE: What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive? - 6/24/2016 7:50:16 AM   
RKhan

The answer has to depend on your objectives, but IMO:

Open pockets, or no pockets
Not crossing the Dnepr somewhere in strength by T6
Cutoff panzer spearheads
Allowing the Soviets to dig in along your chosen line of advance.

RKhan

(in reply to Amnese)
Post #: 2
RE: What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive? - 6/26/2016 12:30:46 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Good posts - I am starting the same way - I feel that destruction by pocketing is the first objective. After that all else can follow.

(in reply to RKhan)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI